Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Boo Boys.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Booing is an overreaction to the game itself but you can understand some peoples frustration that the last few games are a carbon copy of last season. Complete domination but only just about getting a point and our form right now is relegation form. I think Potter might have made a mistake leaving Maupay out of games when his confidence must have been very high. He came back in and his lack of confidence in front of goal was evident.

D

Deleted member 2719

Just got in looked for this thread first and not disappointed……..

Decent performance overall, yes. Bit frustrating for sure, but if you’re going to boo that, please just **** off and don’t come back.

Grahams quote, of they "don't understand footballl" was spot on like most things graham does during match time or leading up to match time.
For a well-measured character to have a nibble back shows he feels these boo boys are undermining what he is doing.

I think it is one of the most astonishing moments I have ever seen/heard from our fans over the years........

I have to put it down to the beer and the new covid variant threatening our recovery, with the frustration of the missed opportunity, but there was clearly no thought of what they were doing at the time.

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
My thoughts (I didn't boo);

-I didn't think the booing was that bad. Perhaps if there was more newsworthy stuff on the pitch it would have been ignored, I half expected to come on here and see lots of 'I didn't hear any boos' posts.
-Like Bozza, I'm not surprised. 9 games without a win (including the leicester cup game). 7 home league games that have seen us score 6 goals, three of which were penalties. Welbecks v Leiecester back in September was the last 'open play' goal, and that was getting on the end of a free kick, so is that even open play? Anyone claiming or acting like the boos were just about this game are naive or disingenuous.
-We failed to beat winless bottom of the table Norwich. We failed to beat winless bottom of the table Newcastle. One win against the bottom 4.
-Every week we are dropping down the table. We're 8th now, but we were 4th. We had a couple of matchdays of 'win and we're top'. In that context, now being 8th isn't 'look how high we've reached' it's, 'how much further will we drop?'
-Redknap is right about it being dangerous of potter to speak out like that. Fans can be very precious, and if he doesn't get a win or two soon, it will be a stick people beat him with.

Spot on. Yes it is frustrating but entirely predictable. I go to the Amex now expecting to be frustrated which is not a good thing. Potter has them playing some fantastic football until the the edge of the box then we all know what happens. I have seen one goal from open play all season so my Albion mojo isn't where it should be for being 8th in the PL!

Already feel better for getting that off my chest

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I feel like I’m being gaslit by all of this. The most I heard was some grumbling and ‘for **** sakes’. Even the young lads near me, who sometimes go over the top with frustration, didn’t boo. Anyway, the frustration is clearly with not putting away sides that we have dominated, doesn’t matter how well you play if the result over two or three seasons is the same.

So, firstly, the booing. I'm towards the back and centre of WSU and didn't hear much booing at all, and none near me. Most were walking out of the ground or actually applauding. It was minimal to say the least, but it was most definitely there,

We were on the train back to Brighton when I posted my last message on this thread. My son pointed out Potters reaction and disagreed with it. He (at 15 and sober, so not a typical North Stander nor NSC member) felt Potter was overly sensitive in criticising the fans.

Now the game. Did the performance deserve booing? Not in itself, no it did not. We were the better side, missed a hatful of chances and made a couple of interesting substitution decisions (Lamptey must have been shattered because he was one of only three good players on the whole pitch, including both sides, and DJ Strollabout was about 600% worse than Maupay, who was, himself, terrible).

But it's the pattern. One goal, a penalty, in our last three games. Maupay, who had a great start to the season and was putting away goals, dropped after one iffy game and clearly his confidence has been totally shot to bits by Potter. And Potter has done that to him before. With him we create chances but cannot finish. Without him we don't create chances. Yet another home game we've dominated in terms of play but not won. Yet another set of perfectly presentable chances spunked. We look like a side that couldn't finish a salad.

Yes, we're eighth, which is great, but if we carry on not scoring we'll be bottom six before you can say "Santa".

I said over and over again during the BCD games last season that some in a full Amex wouldn't stand for some of those results against teams we've dominated but not put away. And, hey presto. But it is a tiny minority.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Shades of the Mike Bailey era when the crowd managed to get rid of a manager, when the team were near the top of the league.

Is Potter really pissed or just playing the old managers trick of deflecting the pressure off the players? I suspect the latter.

Who knows why people boo? Some of the harshest critics on here live abroad, spend a few quid on the website at Christmas and expect everyone to be grateful, when they get over to visit family and get to a game once every few years. Some of the boo boys have been booing since Bailey, I don't think they are going to change now.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Booing is an overreaction to the game itself but you can understand some peoples frustration that the last few games are a carbon copy of last season. Complete domination but only just about getting a point and our form right now is relegation form. I think Potter might have made a mistake leaving Maupay out of games when his confidence must have been very high. He came back in and his lack of confidence in front of goal was evident.

SEE, it’s funny how people use hindsight to justify a comment, but don’t look back clearly at the past and what they are saying.

I haven’t checked back for the player rating on here for the Arsenal and Norwich games, which were shortly before Maupay being left out against Liverpool.

However I do recall in both those games he again missed what are described on here as “sitters” and was then withdrawn after 60 minutes in the next game against Manchester City. I am not sure it is fair to say that Potter made a mistake leaving him out against Liverpool, as Maupay’s confidence would have been high, as he had already hit a dodgy patch of form.

Personally, I like Maupay and think he must be a royal pain in the arse for defenders, as he chases everything, I just don’t think he is ever going to score loads of goals, for us, in the Premier League. Some of our goals need to come from elsewhere in the team, to take some of the expectation and pressure off of our strikers.

A few weeks ago MOTD put a caption up showing that only a small percentage of top of the table Chelsea’s goals had been scored by forward players, maybe that is something we should be looking to emulate, rather than relying on this almost non existent 20 goal a season striker everyone seems to crave.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I didn`t but will always defend those who wish to Boo after a game like that to show their frustration. We all pay a lot of money to watch our team and they all get paid a lot more than 99.9% of us.
The defenders are there to stop oppo scoring(They did their job) and the forwards are there to score goals. They couldn`t score a single one of the many chances they had yesterday. They were the ones that deserved and got the Boos...Possibly Potter as well !
PS west Lower did hear a little towards the south end.
However as I`ve said in another thread we are 8th, closer to the top than the bottom so season is still on track to be a good one for us.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Perhaps I’m extremely naive (I am naive, clearly, given Potters reaction and the condemnation on here from all the real fans.) but I was surrounded by boo’ing at the end up in the east and I didn’t really think much of it at the time if I’m honest, felt kind of light hearted and ironic, certainly didn’t feel aggressive or in any way targeted at the team or the manager, how can it be(?) but I can completely understand why they would think that, which is a real shame and not helpful or productive in any way as everyone has repeatedly pointed out above. I think we’re such a polite, supportive, well behaved bunch for the most part, (compared to some VERY entitled supporters) but perhaps I just don’t want to think bad of anyone. Felt more like frustration at yet another dominant draw, like they were booing the ‘unfair’ result(?) def not the team/management, surely?! (We deserved so much more!) Very misguided I guess cause whatever anyone’s reason or intention for booing, the team will understandably take it to heart, which is a real shame!!

Like u I was in ESU and heard a small amount (which I thought was stupid)…but didn’t think it would become such a big thing..media seem all over it which is annoying

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The ref deserved a boo or two.
But it was Craig Pawson, so no surprise at his ineptitude and baffling decisions.

I left with 2 minutes to go against Newcastle and I was raging at our second half performance.
I protested by not applauding the players off. We have played far worse than that and I have stayed and applauded.
But last night was a terrific performance and the boys put everything right that they had failed to do against Newcastle.
Speeding up our play in the final third, trying little flicks in and around the box to create opportunities.

I was as frustrated as anyone with Maupay's misses, but maybe, had he been playing week in week out, he may have ended up with a hat-trick.

I attribute the booing to an influx of new fans, presumably after plenty of season ticket holders chose to not renew during covid.
I suspect we are going to have to get used to some entitled responses, unfortunately.

Edit: and any disappointment by the result was wiped away by nabbing the last chilli con carne pie after the game. Heaven.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I’m definitely not defending booing but you know it’s not because we’re “only 8th” right?

It’s bc we’re going to inevitably be in a relegation battle again and it’s very predictable bc we still haven’t signed a striker worthy of mid table prem and haven’t replaced Murray who was arguably already too old for the PL when we came up. A fit Danny Welbeck would have had two today…but he’s perma injured and we also knew that would be the case when we signed him on for the last 2 seasons.

Anyway, not defending the booing. It’s lame af, but it’s also a very easy position to take to criticise. The frustration is valid.

Great post. The start of this season has given us a glimpse of what this team can be when Potter's plans come to fruition. A hard working team capable of creating chances and putting them away, able to compete as a top half prem team, pushing for European football even. And given 3 wins from recent games (yesterday included) we would still be there. If we were scoring goals then yesterday's performance would have been classed as brilliant, no one would care about passing at the back, free kicks going short or backwards to nowhere.

We might be eighth today but we could have been punished yesterday with a late goal in a game that should have been wrapped up in the first 30 mins. We might be eighth today but we will soon be a hell of a lot closer to the bottom three again if we don't get back to scoring goals. I have loved seeing Maupay score for fun this season and devastated to see him back to missing the easiest chance he will get for a long time. That's the frustration.

I've never booed and in times past where performances have good but goals lacking happy to congratulate the team, happy to be positive about keeping going. Recently however, I have left games (including yesterday) with a far heavier heart and level of frustration because frankly it's hard to feel confident that the blip is just a blip. We know these guys can do better, they can be strong and confident in front of goal and I don't think booing helps but I do think it reflects a real level of frustration in a team that we know could, but for fine margins, be the best team under the best manager we've ever had..

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Great post. The start of this season has given us a glimpse of what this team can be when Potter's plans come to fruition. A hard working team capable of creating chances and putting them away, able to compete as a top half prem team, pushing for European football even. And given 3 wins from recent games (yesterday included) we would still be there. If we were scoring goals then yesterday's performance would have been classed as brilliant, no one would care about passing at the back, free kicks going short or backwards to nowhere.

We might be eighth today but we could have been punished yesterday with a late goal in a game that should have been wrapped up in the first 30 mins. We might be eighth today but we will soon be a hell of a lot closer to the bottom three again if we don't get back to scoring goals. I have loved seeing Maupay score for fun this season and devastated to see him back to missing the easiest chance he will get for a long time. That's the frustration.

I've never booed and in times past where performances have good but goals lacking happy to congratulate the team, happy to be positive about keeping going. Recently however, I have left games (including yesterday) with a far heavier heart and level of frustration because frankly it's hard to feel confident that the blip is just a blip. We know these guys can do better, they can be strong and confident in front of goal and I don't think booing helps but I do think it reflects a real level of frustration in a team that we know could, but for fine margins, be the best team under the best manager we've ever had..

Indeed.

The point at Anfield was a fantastic result and should be a platform to build on, not a result that we look back on and say “thank **** we got a point there. Boy, did we need that”.

Going on to fail to beat Newcastle and Leeds, getting beat by (a rejuvenated) Villa really says more than the outstanding moments vs bigger opposition.

In the words of GP “that’s life, that’s football” but I feel more can be done to intercept this. These aren’t inevitabilities, even tho it feels like it a lot of the time. :lol:

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, firstly, the booing. I'm towards the back and centre of WSU and didn't hear much booing at all, and none near me. Most were walking out of the ground or actually applauding. It was minimal to say the least, but it was most definitely there,

From the south of the WSU near the front it was embarrassingly loud and directly after the final whistle, so no mistaking who it was directed at. I was shocked at how loud it was and commented to my brother who was with me that it was totally unreasonable.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Apart from no goals an entertaining game. Can understand Potter mentioning booing in one interview when caught on hop but surprised he seemed to want to make these a theme in all interviews he did.
I had left but sure it was a small section of crowd. If he wants to see a crowd that turns for little reason he should go to West Ham when they are going through a bad spell. I have seen games there against Brighton when been outplayed and seemed whole crowd turned on players with hate and many wanted to get on pitch to tell them

D

Deleted member 2719

I didn't hear any Booing at the end but did notice Maupay get some when he was subbed, which was Harsh. But Is this thread basically People who watched the match on the box having a go at fans who bothered to go the game?
Try looking at the over reactions on most matchday threads to see that It takes all sorts.

If I didn't have so many dependants mate you know I would be there, snuggled up beside you.

Anyone as Potter puts it, who understands football would not be booing that performance, I can assure you, I saw the same on the box as you did.

The only difference was I never had anybody influencing my thoughts, I think you know me enough by now I follow my gut and not others.

Can you honestly say they deserved the booing then mate???

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Personally, I believe any ticket paying fan who has seen their team go 9 matches without a win, including games against bottom 3 teams, is perfectly entitled to have a little boo. Not me though, stuck in Toronto for the game.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have still not seen a proper explanation of who was actually being booed and what people thought the positive impact of it would be. I assume it was for Maupay but in what world would anyone ever think that loud boos will suddenly make him realise he needs to score.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here