Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Perspective

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Football for me has always been about a brief escape from reality once a week or so. Away from work, mortgage, bills and other ‘stuff’.
It’s not really ‘real’ but it matters to me A LOT when I’m at the match. It’s why I sometimes get a little bit too worked up and sometimes perhaps moan when I shouldn’t. However, lately I’ve found myself getting annoyed by trivial bollocks like no bottle tops a bit too much. No one is perfect.

Well last night my mum passed away, so football is definitely into perspective for me today, I’ve been umming about going tomorrow but realise that more than ever I need that escape, I just need to remember that’s all it is and ‘enjoy’ it again for what it is.

So tomorrow I’ll raise a Harveys to the nicest person I’ve ever known and then cheer the team on. Please don’t **** it up Albion……

Peace and love to you all xxx

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
My condolences Milano.

I heard it said when football started coming back that it was the most important of the least important things. It's important and the result, especially a win is important because it does take our minds off the real world for a while.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sorry for your loss Milano. I'm glad to hear you're intent on going tomorrow because it's the right thing to do and probably what your mum would have wanted.

In terms of the football, I agree that it's easy to get too worked up over the result. However, BHAFC is bigger than just 3 points on a Saturday. I am grateful that despite all the chaos that has been going on around us for the last 2 years our club is there for all of us, run the right way, standing for values that are important and under attack. They deserve our full support.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Really sorry for your loss.

May she rest in peace.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Fingers crossed our boys do you and your mum proud.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry for the loss of your Mum, best wishes to you and all her loved ones.

A personal view, I'm probably not into the Albion as the rest of nsc, possibly punch drunk by rarely winning in 5 seasons.

I look for and find escapes from the Albion, for me there's so much else to love in life.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Football for me has always been about a brief escape from reality once a week or so. Away from work, mortgage, bills and other ‘stuff’.
It’s not really ‘real’ but it matters to me A LOT when I’m at the match. It’s why I sometimes get a little bit too worked up and sometimes perhaps moan when I shouldn’t. However, lately I’ve found myself getting annoyed by trivial bollocks like no bottle tops a bit too much. No one is perfect.

Well last night my mum passed away, so football is definitely into perspective for me today, I’ve been umming about going tomorrow but realise that more than ever I need that escape, I just need to remember that’s all it is and ‘enjoy’ it again for what it is.

So tomorrow I’ll raise a Harveys to the nicest person I’ve ever known and then cheer the team on. Please don’t **** it up Albion……

My sincere condolences. Let's hope they can win for you and your Mum.

And I hope no one thinks it strange that you're going, we all need to deal with grief in our own ways. I did exactly the same when my beloved Nan died. At 10 in the morning I was a blubbering mess, and at 3 in the afternoon I was at the Goldstone ready to cheer on the Albion and yell abuse at the referee. We won as well, and yes it helped, although some members of my family thought my behaviour was a bit 'off'. Nan wouldn't have minded though.

All the best xx.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
As alluded to in a previous comment, we all deal with loss and grief in various ways, if it means cheering on the boy’s tomorrow and letting off steam in a positive way, will undoubtedly help with your grief. Give an extra cheer for your mum, I’m sure she will be supporting you in her distant way as well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP to your lovely mum and condolences to you and your family…
I find the whole Albion thing more and more stressful the older I get. It should be a release every two weeks or so but it definitely does not work like that for me.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’ve always said that football is the most important thing in the world that doesn’t actually matter. A brilliant distraction at times from the everyday stresses and frustrations of life, but ultimately meaningless on the big scheme of things.

Huge condolences to you - I hope you get that win tomorrow.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sorry for your loss, treasure the wonderful memories you will have.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

A very sad story, but oh so true words...

Sorry for your loss.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Sorry for your loss Milano.
When my Dad died over thirty years' ago, we played Shrewsbury at home a few days later. I felt I shouldn't go, out of respect, so I didn't. This broke quite a run of home games attended.
Soon after, I visited my Nan (my Dad's mum), and she asked me if I enjoyed the match. I said I didn't go, and she asked "Why?" I said I felt I couldn't as I would be enjoying myself and it would have felt wrong.
"Well, you should have gone." she said. "What good did missing the match serve? He's the one who took you to your first game to get you in to supporting The Albion."
So, the moral of my story is not to punish yourself in a time of grief. My Dad wouldn't have wanted me to have missed the game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here