Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we be following Brentford?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You're in for more of a shock:

View attachment 142383

:ohmy::ohmy:

Wow. Look, ok, people can spend their money however they choose, but for me the expression 'mug punter' was invented for those who buy replica kits. Those prices are unbelievable. I know people will say they know they're expensive but by buying them they're 'helping the club' and yes that's true. But this is a new era now, or at least I hope it is and there are other considerations at play.

EDIT: Just to add I wouldn't be so opposed if the workers making them were getting £20ph and the club were selling them as part of a 'fair trade' deal - but I suspect that's not the case.

Last edited:

el punal

It is bad that the club puts pressure on low income families by doing this. I know many parents make it one of their Christmas presents or whatever but the price of them is still disgusting. Kids replica kit should be much, much cheaper.

Is it any worse than any other manufacturer/retailer/supplier/whatever doing the same? The answer is no. If you can’t afford it the answer is also no. Sometimes saying no, however uncomfortable, is the right answer.

And yes, the price of kids’ replica kit is excessive rather than disgusting - that description belongs to blocked drains, overflowing toilets and Selhurst Park.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hmmm....

Are there any posters on NSC who have kids (several, under the age of 12) all of whom clamour for a brand new Brighton shirt at the start of every season, and are too short of money to be able to afford said shirts, and frightened of saying no and crushing the hopes and dreams of these children?

Or is it that people object to the idea of paying lots of money for kids' replica shirts.

Or perhaps have some objection to the idea of the club attempting to maximise its income?

The fact (if it is a fact) that replica shirts are made by children or forced labour is entirely separate. If so, nobody should be wearing shirts, and the players themselves should play vests versus skins.

Personally I like a nice replica shirt and I may or may not buy one. I know of no children who say "please please please let me have what I want (a brand new Maupay 9 replica shirt), lawd knows it would be the first time" every August.

:shrug:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
:ohmy::ohmy:

Wow. Look, ok, people can spend their money however they choose, but for me the expression 'mug punter' was invented for those who buy replica kits. Those prices are unbelievable. I know people will say they know they're expensive but by buying them they're 'helping the club' and yes that's true. But this is a new era now, or at least I hope it is and there are other considerations at play.

EDIT: Just to add I wouldn't be so opposed if the workers making them were getting £20ph and the club were selling them as part of a 'fair trade' deal - but I suspect that's not the case.

I think some of it is just like a lot of fashion/consumerism and folks like to buy them because they are expensive so they can show off they can afford it or to try and be the first with it among their group. Obviously there are loads of different reasons people buy them but that's definitely part of it for some people.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If people went back to wearing their own clothes with a scarf and beanie hat or cap (and a Brighton are magic badge) rather than a expensive replica shirt, that must be changed every season then things would probably change price wise.
It seems that you are not a real fan unless you wear a replica shirt and it must be this seasons, all the time thousands think this way the clubs will profit from it.
I agree with a previous post that if you want to wear a shirt buy a cool retro one and keep it for many seasons.
I have always found it rather odd that fans, to show their loyalty must wear a replica shirt, then you have the football shirt on holiday and wearing a replica shirt on Saturday morning in the supermarket even though you are 250 miles away and will not be going to the match.

el punal

Hmmm....

Are there any posters on NSC who have kids (several, under the age of 12) all of whom clamour for a brand new Brighton shirt at the start of every season, and are too short of money to be able to afford said shirts, and frightened of saying no and crushing the hopes and dreams of these children?

Or is it that people object to the idea of paying lots of money for kids' replica shirts.

Or perhaps have some objection to the idea of the club attempting to maximise its income?

The fact (if it is a fact) that replica shirts are made by children or forced labour is entirely separate. If so, nobody should be wearing shirts, and the players themselves should play vests versus skins.

Personally I like a nice replica shirt and I may or may not buy one. I know of no children who say "please please please let me have what I want (a brand new Maupay 9 replica shirt), lawd knows it would be the first time" every August.

:shrug:

I have a plentiful supply of old cardboard and a couple of second hand felt tip pens, so, for a fiver I can knock up a sign saying ————— (name supplied of player) can I have your shirt?

There, job done. Just send me the dosh, the cost of post and packaging and your address and everyone will be happy as Larry. A few words of advice - make sure you, or junior, are as close to the pitch as possible so the relevant snivelling, cheap skate, embarrassing message can be read by the selected player, and secondly, the missus washes the sweaty shirt before wearing. Happy days! :cheers:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Is it any worse than any other manufacturer/retailer/supplier/whatever doing the same? The answer is no. If you can’t afford it the answer is also no. Sometimes saying no, however uncomfortable, is the right answer.

And yes, the price of kids’ replica kit is excessive rather than disgusting - that description belongs to blocked drains, overflowing toilets and Selhurst Park.

Well, for me it is disgusting and excessive. Currently £42 for a junior top which is a lot for a single parent with one kid let alone more. I know Albion merch isn't a necessity but it is of course very desirable and every parent wants to give their child something they really, really want for Christmas. I don't think the club would go bankrupt if it was more generous with the cost of children's clothes. Especially in December.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Well, for me it is disgusting and excessive. Currently £42 for a junior top which is a lot for a single parent with one kid let alone more. I know Albion merch isn't a necessity but it is of course very desirable and every parent wants to give their child something they really, really want for Christmas. I don't think the club would go bankrupt if it was more generous with the cost of children's clothes. Especially in December.

I've read the thread and I'm really struggling with your views on this.

There are many things the club wouldn't go bankrupt on by lowering prices on things. A replica shirt is not a necessity for anyone - sure many people want one but that's not the same. I would like a Testarossa but I can't afford it. It wasn't that long ago that clubs only released new shirts every 2 or 3 years so accepting a new kit as the norm every year is something that could and should easily be reversed.

To say that you should keep selling a new kit every year because lower income families can give it to their kids for Christmas is just a really strange argument in my eyes. Perhaps a copy of Build a Bonfire would be more educational and economic?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

20% off everything tomorrow. [emoji106]

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I've read the thread and I'm really struggling with your views on this.

There are many things the club wouldn't go bankrupt on by lowering prices on things. A replica shirt is not a necessity for anyone - sure many people want one but that's not the same. I would like a Testarossa but I can't afford it. It wasn't that long ago that clubs only released new shirts every 2 or 3 years so accepting a new kit as the norm every year is something that could and should easily be reversed.

To say that you should keep selling a new kit every year because lower income families can give it to their kids for Christmas is just a really strange argument in my eyes. Perhaps a copy of Build a Bonfire would be more educational and economic?

I'm not saying they should keep selling a new one every year, I'm fully in support of changing it to every 2 years or even less. As well as reducing the price of children's wear. Perhaps even just for those on low income. I know the club is a business now but it would be a nice gesture, might even make them more money in the long run?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Every year we seem to have a huge thread where people go into the tiniest detail of the new design (as well as countless suggestions as to what we should have designed / agreed to, and longing looks at what clubs around the world have agreed to, which are inevitably better than our design).
Can you imagine the meltdown if we had a design foisted upon us / agreed by us (delete as appropriate) that was not accepted as sutable or appropriate - and we were stuck with it for two whole years?

Bozza would probably have to double the storage space required to host NSC, due to the enormous length of the resulting thread. For that reason alone, I'm out.

(Slightly tongue in cheek, full sympathy for views of parents expressed above regarding cost of kit etc)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Whatever happened to scarves - worn on mass , lofted above your head to a rendition of YNWA or some other ballad.... bring them back and get someone to knit it for you...

P.S. not sure a knitted shirt would work.....

P.P.S. Brainwave how about a knitted striped jumper will last for years unless it goes in hot wash by accident (then pass it on to junior)

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Parents you can say no :shrug:

This, I really don't get the "need" to own the latest shirt, in fact there's the answer to the problem, don't keep buying the new releases and the club might actually stick with a shirt a bit longer, I don't think this will affect tourist sales too much!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here