Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey's path to the England squad

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He has more potential than any of those

I don't get that at all. Based on what?

He's fast, good at getting past players, and then usually delivers a fairly appalling cross. Currently the most over-rated player in our squad (an unpopular opinion, I'm sure!).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

He's fast, good at getting past players, and then usually delivers a fairly appalling cross. Currently the most over-rated player in our squad (an unpopular opinion, I'm sure!).
I'd agree with this description of him since returning from injury, but before that he had been in outstanding form and I never thought his crossing was particularly bad.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Based on ehrmm.. his skill. Good dribbler, good crosses, good technique, decent defensively, nice pace. Fantastic player.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do I think Lamptey will play for England? Yes, and probably (if he avoids another horror injury) within the next 18-24 months.

Do I think Lamptey will become an England regular? Hell of an ask. His big hope is probably that TAA is moved to being more of a midfielder / winger like people seem to be demanding he does, then it's arguably only James who's likely to be the major obstacle longer-term.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Based on ehrmm.. his skill. Good dribbler, good crosses, good technique, decent defensively, nice pace. Fantastic player.

But why more potential than Walker, Trippier, Walker-Peters, TAA, Justin, James, Aarons and Livramento?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It happens. You look at the amount of caps some of the 90s strikers got because of the quality of player ahead of them. These are players with over 100 PL goals*

The way the other 2 are going, Lamptey would have to do something sensational to get past Reece James and TAA both of whom are young.

He might just be unlucky on the international front. But this is how it should be. It should be BLOODY HARD to become an England player.

*Ferdinand 17 caps
Fowler 26 caps
Cole 15 caps
Le Tiss (not a striker as such) 8 caps

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think Tariq will ever force his way in front of James and TAA.

Even if we need a back up RB or RWB, it's not clear cut that it will be him or Livramento.

It could be that Tariq, with an eye on this does decide to re-invent himself, possibly as an out and out winger (but we're not short in attacking areas either) or possibly as a LWB. GS has used Trippier and Saka there, so it's not impossible that he or his successor would look to incorporate Tariq there

However, and this is the BIG however. This is all getting miles ahead of ourselves. He first has to get his fitness to a level where he can be considered a 90 minute player. Then he has to work his wonderful tricks on a consistent level and shape matches on a consistent level.

If he does that then for a year or more than we can have a more informed discussion

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't think Tariq will ever force his way in front of James and TAA.

Even if we need a back up RB or RWB, it's not clear cut that it will be him or Livramento.

It could be that Tariq, with an eye on this does decide to re-invent himself, possibly as an out and out winger (but we're not short in attacking areas either) or possibly as a LWB. GS has used Trippier and Saka there, so it's not impossible that he or his successor would look to incorporate Tariq there

However, and this is the BIG however. This is all getting miles ahead of ourselves. He first has to get his fitness to a level where he can be considered a 90 minute player. Then he has to work his wonderful tricks on a consistent level and shape matches on a consistent level.

If he does that then for a year or more than we can have a more informed discussion

And after that get a move to a top 6 club. Then he'll probably get picked.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And after that get a move to a top 6 club. Then he'll probably get picked.

Even if he does and he gets in their first team, I don't see him ever being considered a better right back than TAA or James

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
James should be England’s first choice RB/RWB for the next 10 years, he is one hell of a player and the reason why we were able to sign Lamptey in the first place. He has the lot and will be recognised as the world’s best in his position before long. It helps him playing for a brilliant manager too and clearly developing all the time. Just look at his goals against Newcastle, stunning!

Lamptey had a shout pre injury but we’re yet to see him back at that level and don’t know if we ever will at this stage so it’s too early to say if he will have a chance to get ahead of James again.

Sadly, this.
If he loses speed he’s massively diminished as a player.
The club has been ultra patient with him though, so hopefully he can be the player he was and more

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Lamptey is very very fast, but his delivery is average at best at the moment. Much worse than those currently ahead of him. He needs to add that to his game to be a better bet than the others.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
ahhh....Southgate.

The manager with probably the best wealth of quality England players available in my long lifetime.

A hopeless tactician and football manager, but exceptionally good at being an elder statesman and knowing the right way to deal with the press and media in general.
Tatically inept as well

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I reckon if I searched hard enough, I could find an identical post about Kazenga LuaLua.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As much as I think Tariq Lamptey is a special player to the Albion, I just get this feeling that Southgate is just re-repeating the old Lewis Dunk route.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Exclusive interview with him this evening on Talksport so I heard earlier. Must be allowed to stay up late on a Sunday

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
ahhh....Southgate.

The manager with probably the best wealth of quality England players available in my long lifetime.

A hopeless tactician and football manager, but exceptionally good at being an elder statesman and knowing the right way to deal with the press and media in general.

Maybe not a good tactician, but a brilliant manager.

No England team in my lifetime has shown a willingness to play of their manager like this one.

And in international football that is much of the battle. A lot of winning managers were no great shakes at club level.

bright265

Nov 27, 2021
Great attacking player, which is why he won't get into the England squad. Southgate is too obsessed with defending. Horrible manager who has lucked out with being drawn on the weaker side of the knockouts twice.

Lamptey will have to wait until after the World Cup, where I think Solskjaer will get sacked. I don't think he will luck out again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here