Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey's path to the England squad

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's early days, but I wonder if Tariq is going to be unfortunate to play in a position where there is such a wealth of talent around at the same time.

Kyle Walker, age 31
Kieran Trippier, age 31
Kyle Walker-Peters, age 24
Trent Alexander-Arnold, age 23
James Justin, age 23
Reece James, age 21
Max Aarons, age 21
Tariq Lamptey, age 21
Tino Livramento, age 19

I appreciate time will be limited for the first two of those, but getting ahead of both TAA and James is not going to be an easy task. James, in particular, seems to be turning into one hell of a player (or he's just in a very rich vein of form).

Do you think we'll see Lamptey with three lions on his chest?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
It's early days, but I wonder if Tariq is going to be unfortunate to play in a position where there is such a wealth of talent around at the same time.

Kyle Walker, age 31
Kieran Trippier, age 31
James Justin, age 23
Reece James, age 21
Max Aarons, age 21
Tariq Lamptey, age 21
Tino Livramento, age 19

I appreciate time will be limited for the first two of those, but getting ahead of both TAA and James is not going to be an easy task. James, in particular, seems to be turning into one hell of a player (or he's just in a very rich vein of form).

Not whilst that "tool" is the manager.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You're right. I think actually defensively Lamptey has a lot to prove as well. Hopefully his injuries are behind him and he can go on to perform week in / week out to give him the best possible chance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not whilst that "tool" is the manager.

Southgate did namecheck Lamptey recently, which is kinda what prompted me to write this.

"Tino Livramento has had a great start to the season, along with Tariq Lamptey and we have just seen Matty Cash go to Poland, but we have a lot of good right-backs in the squad and others pushing them."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Kyle Walker, age 31
Kieran Trippier, age 31
James Justin, age 23
Reece James, age 21
Max Aarons, age 21
Tariq Lamptey, age 21
Tino Livramento, age 19

He has more potential than any of those and I'm not sure RB/RWB is the position he will end up competing for.

Not happening in the immediate future, he still has some way to go before being at the level he was before the injury.

Probably not going to wait forever though. Ghana is not a too shabby option.

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016

Kyle Walker, age 31
Kieran Trippier, age 31
James Justin, age 23
Reece James, age 21
Max Aarons, age 21
Tariq Lamptey, age 21
Tino Livramento, age 19

I think he certainly could play for England but probably will need to be playing European club football looking at the competition in front of him, whether that comes from playing for Brighton or a big move to an established top 6 or 4 team.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
ahhh....Southgate.

The manager with probably the best wealth of quality England players available in my long lifetime.

A hopeless tactician and football manager, but exceptionally good at being an elder statesman and knowing the right way to deal with the press and media in general.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea but Lamptey made a very sensible life changing decision to refuse a new Chelsea contract. I doubt he would have played much at all with James as competition.

I confess to being a little concerned that he has not yet reached the heights he was at before his injury. The confidence to take players on seems to have waned a bit. I am an impatient bugger though…

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
ahhh....Southgate.

The manager with probably the best wealth of quality England players available in my long lifetime.

A hopeless tactician and football manager, but exceptionally good at being an elder statesman and knowing the right way to deal with the press and media in general.

Really? Is the current crop individually any better than this England starting XI

James, Gary Neville, Terry, Campbell, Ashley Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Owen, Rooney

SAC

May 21, 2014
The position is for Reese James to loose. He's played for the England U18, U19, U20 & U21 and already has 10 senior caps. He's getting experience against European opposition and he is scoring goals for Chelsea this season.

Tariq also has experience in the England U18-U21 set-up but would need an amazing season to just become 3rd choice. Could happen, but unlikely to be in time for this World Cup.

It's nothing to do with who the manager is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Southgate did namecheck Lamptey recently, which is kinda what prompted me to write this.

"Tino Livramento has had a great start to the season, along with Tariq Lamptey and we have just seen Matty Cash go to Poland, but we have a lot of good right-backs in the squad and others pushing them."

He needs to become a better defender if that's to be his path.

If he could learn to finish he could be a Salah.....

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Very sad considering his talents but it is why T left Chelsea after all, he was always under-study to James.

It does mean there is more chance of him being fit and available for us though, or wherever he ends up long-term.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He is at an interesting stage. Exciting for him and us to see him running down wing going past defenders but both Potter and him have to realise he is not a winger. Needs to attend to defensive duties first and not leave our right sided CB to do his defensive duties.
He could learn a lot from watching Kyle Walker. If city are 2 plus goals up or they are chasing a game Walker spends more time upfront but until than his defensive duties come first

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The position is for Reese James to loose. He's played for the England U18, U19, U20 & U21 and already has 10 senior caps. He's getting experience against European opposition and he is scoring goals for Chelsea this season.

Tariq also has experience in the England U18-U21 set-up but would need an amazing season to just become 3rd choice. Could happen, but unlikely to be in time for this World Cup.

It's nothing to do with who the manager is.

Reece James is pretty much the perfect RB for Southgate in his team. Strong, quick, defensively sound and a real attacking threat. Essentially, he's a young Kyle Walker. RB is well nailed down, but Lamptey could get himself a handful of caps playing in meaningless games we wouldn't risk a first choice for. Alexander-Arnold is an extraordinary player, but he's less what Southgate rates.

Left back suddenly looks a little bare with Chilwell's injury and Luke Shaw's shocking loss of form.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
James should be England’s first choice RB/RWB for the next 10 years, he is one hell of a player and the reason why we were able to sign Lamptey in the first place. He has the lot and will be recognised as the world’s best in his position before long. It helps him playing for a brilliant manager too and clearly developing all the time. Just look at his goals against Newcastle, stunning!

Lamptey had a shout pre injury but we’re yet to see him back at that level and don’t know if we ever will at this stage so it’s too early to say if he will have a chance to get ahead of James again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here