Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sour Grapes, or does he have a point

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
My initial reaction was sour grapes, and after rereading the article I am still leaning that way, but have to acknowledge there is some substance to what he is saying, namely that an amateur would not be under quite the same pressure or have the whole "this is my living" issue going on, and so may not be as stressed when competing

There are plenty of other sports (I say other-but I still think Darts, Snooker and Poker do not qualify as "sports" but thats a whole other ball game) that allow armatures to compete against the big boys (FA Cup, Open Golf spring to mind)

If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen also springs to mind, if a professional can not regularly beat an amateur then surely one or the other is in the wrong category!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59392405

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My initial reaction was sour grapes, and after rereading the article I am still leaning that way, but have to acknowledge there is some substance to what he is saying, namely that an amateur would not be under quite the same pressure or have the whole "this is my living" issue going on, and so may not be as stressed when competing

There are plenty of other sports (I say other-but I still think Darts, Snooker and Poker do not qualify as "sports" but thats a whole other ball game) that allow armatures to compete against the big boys (FA Cup, Open Golf spring to mind)

If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen also springs to mind, if a professional can not regularly beat an amateur then surely one or the other is in the wrong category!

The event was called 2021 Cazoo UK Championship.

Not 2021 Cazoo Professional UK Championship.

So sour grapes for me.
Surely a professional should have better opportunities to practice and play against the best and so should have an advantage?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Imagine the reaction if Liverpool got knocked out of the FA Cup by Lewes and Klopp went on TV ranting and raving about how they shouldn't be allowed to compete.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
What is snooker there for? Is it for players to play matches and see who is the best, or is it to provide a living for Shaun Murphy?

Most of his arguments would apply equally well - or equally badly - to a buildre who objects to people doing DIY. Yes, it costs them a living; no, if they can't do it better than an amateur, then why should anyone pay them?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Imagine the reaction if Liverpool got knocked out of the FA Cup by Lewes and Klopp went on TV ranting and raving about how they shouldn't be allowed to compete.
I'll enjoy imagining that. Thanks! :cheers:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I assume that having an amateur top-up it's an open championship and therefore the young lad from China very much should have been there, No different to golf tournaments in that respect.

Murphy needs to learn a bit of respect and humility. Very bad look IMO.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

When I read it first thing this morning, my reaction was exactly the same as yours. Saw the headline and laughed, thinking what a miserable so-and -so.

Then read it and thought " maybe he does have a point.

But I am still on balance in the miserable g1t camp.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think he's totally wrong. It was a Snooker match against a player wanting to make his way on the tour and wanting to become a professional. If he's such an amateur who doesn't deserve his place there, then Murphy should have won. He didn't, it makes no difference who beat him. If a 19 year old amateur beat him, presumably a seasoned professional would have blown him away.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Never been a massive fan of the so-called magician.

Definitely sour grapes.

He has a point but his task as a professional is to get on with it and prevail.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, well, well.

Imagine how much of a hypocrite you'd have to be, to have done THIS 2 years ago, and then come out with his comments yesterday, about amateurs in snooker tournaments...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/48610060

Former world snooker champion Shaun Murphy is to attempt to qualify for next month's Open Golf Championship at Royal Portrush.

Murphy's scratch handicap means he can play in the regional qualifier at County Louth in Ireland on 24 June.

The Englishman previously caddied for a friend in Open Championship qualifying.

"That was a fantastic experience. I thought it would be nice to have a go myself," the 36-year-old Harlow-born man told World Snooker.

"It is very hard to maintain a scratch handicap while having a full-time snooker career, a young family and all the rest of it.

"I won't be off scratch for much longer so I thought I should take my opportunity while I am still eligible."

Murphy, who won snooker's World Championship in 2005, admits his chances of progressing to the final stage of qualifying are "extremely unlikely".

"It is all a bit tongue in cheek and a bit of a laugh," he admitted.

"The one thing I do have going for me is that I already have a full-time job. Golf isn't my livelihood. Relative to the other players I will be playing against, it doesn't really matter to me if I win or lose.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I'm assuming at the age of 15 when he turned professional he didn't have too many responsibilities either?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here