Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Half-time to be extended to 25min?!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...the proposal is being put forward by CONMEBOL, the South American governing body, so that football can introduce ‘Super Bowl-style entertainment’ midway through matches.

i've watched some south american football, they need entertaining at half time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has this not already been pooh-poohed?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I wouldn't especially care if they did this for certain games. Maybe last game of the season. Cup final. Etc.

But not every game and especially not midweek

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
‘Super Bowl-style entertainment’
af9853e711654c613a774d1bfeeaa01b45549c37fa543fa36c3946481006b634.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
**** that. Would create a difficult situation for teams as well: you'd want your players to get all the rest they can get but if you take a 25 min break and then go out and play without warming up, injuries would increase.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I wouldn't especially care if they did this for certain games. Maybe last game of the season. Cup final. Etc.

But not every game and especially not midweek

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Watching games on TV, especially Sky, I thought they already had extended to 30 minutes!

It certainly seems like it.

Alternatively, on the rare occasions I go back to the UK to watch a live game, it seems to be 10 minutes, as by the time you get to the concourse, queue for a pint, drink it and have a pee, the players are back out.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I didn't like it when half-time was increased to 15 minutes. This is a bonkers idea ... so no doubt it will be passed

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
25 minute half times NO.
Next will be an extension of the 'drinks breaks' on 22 & 67 minutes. Did the overseas TV companies use the summer drinks breaks to take ad breaks?
As it is, the on screen adverts during games are getting bigger. This stat sponsored by xxx and the time sponsored by xxx.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I still remember it being 10mins and you'd always hear "it's 20 to 5, the results are coming in".

Did it change around the end of the 80s? I remember when I played 10mins seemed long, long enough to start getting stiff and cold. Long enough for me to sometimes think "why am I here getting shouted out by an idiot who thinks he's Alex Bloody Ferguson in the freezing cold kicking a ball about on a muddy part frozen bog..."

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But if they don't extend it how will I ever know what Ray Winstone thinks the in-play odds are???

Wouldn't mind it some games (e.g. first / last game of the season) but if I have to be in the Amex a minute longer than I have to watching us get beaten on a Monday night in January then it's a no from me.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
**** that. Would create a difficult situation for teams as well: you'd want your players to get all the rest they can get but if you take a 25 min break and then go out and play without warming up, injuries would increase.

Exactly why it’ll never happen.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Would give more time for the pie hat trick when the guest pie is one that you fancy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Its not actually on the agenda of the IFAB meeting that is supposedly discussing this - although some reports it might be raised as (i guess ) AOB.
Its also fairly normal for these sort of things to be raised and even talked about - why not - but there's zero chance of it being signed off as there's minimal support for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here