Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 30 years ago today

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The only ‘celebrity’ death that made me cry.

RIP Freddie

76801df7c33d1b04fc4d0ff3e157cff0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Fair play, mine was George Michael.

Funny world.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Possibly the greatest showman the world has ever known.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am another who cried when he passed away. Such an amazing voice and such a talent to be outrageously flamboyant. I don't think we'll see another like him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Mine was George Michael too , I’m just pleased I got to meet him in 2014.

I am jealous, sort of. Concerned that I might have been underwhelmed if I had met him when he was stoned etc.. Luckily I have met another hero of mine who was a perfect gentleman, Dave Grohl, and even better he is still making music!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think [some] people allow Freddie's sexuality to bias their view of him.

Awesome voice, exceptional entertainer and [by all account from those close to him] a very kind, caring and pleasant individual too.

RIP Freddie

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes, I'm sure there were plenty who were incapable of appreciating how brilliant they were. What a shame they missed it, eh?

I make no apologies for nicking this, but this quote always sticks:

"Queen were more of a reason for punk to get going than any prog group. When Freddie Mercury stood on stage and held up a champagne glass saying "May you all have champagne for breakfast darlings..." so many kids thought, "Really? **** this..."

The irony being that they were the band scheduled to appear on the infamous Bill Grundy show, sadly not able to make it and replaced by some other blokes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think [some] people allow Freddie's sexuality to bias their view of him.

Awesome voice, exceptional entertainer and [by all account from those close to him] a very kind, caring and pleasant individual too.

RIP Freddie

Marcus Bell (The Opposition)

Paul Raven (Killing Joke)

Stuart Adamson (Big Country/The Skids)

Billy Mackenzie (The Associates)

Gutted. Especially Marcus, who's last Opposition album isn't on Youtube, and who suffered from stage fright, poor sod, and who I chatted with occasionally :(

Freddie, not a fan. Nothing to do with sexual orientation. At least one of the above was gay :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I make no apologies for nicking this, but this quote always sticks:

"Queen were more of a reason for punk to get going than any prog group. When Freddie Mercury stood on stage and held up a champagne glass saying "May you all have champagne for breakfast darlings..." so many kids thought, "Really? **** this..."

I don't often agree with you but, yes, he may well have been nice but he came across as a bit of a dick at the time. And when you had absolute legends and lions, such as Tom Robinson, doing proper hard music, and being openly gay, I thought Freddie was more interested in maximising his fame and glory while being 'discrete', which struck me as dishonest.

But that has nothing to do with why I wasn't affected by his death like I was the four I mentioned above. I simply didn't like the music. His singing. He sounded like a male Shirley Bassey. Now, I like Shirley Bassey. But put her up as the frontwoman of a rock band and I'd say 'fark off'. Ditto Pavarotti.

Oh well. RIP nevertheless.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It might be, and I may be going out on a limb here, simply that they think Queen's music is over-hyped garbage.

Having been a student in the 70s, I never liked Mercury or Queen, and it had nothing to do with his sexuality, as suggested above, but everything to do with the fact that I thought their music was “overhyped garbage”.

I think Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the worst records ever to reach #1 - 7 minutes of pretentious claptrap.

PS - and I don’t want to rain on anybody’s RIP type thread, but I strongly resent the suggestion above that I may not have liked Mercury because of his sexuality!!! That sort of thing matters to me not a jot!!!! And no, I’m not gay. I’m broad-minded and accepting of different types of people.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Having been a student in the 70s, I never liked Mercury or Queen, and it had nothing to do with his sexuality, as suggested above, but everything to do with the fact that I thought their music was “overhyped garbage”.

I think Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the worst records ever to reach #1 - 7 minutes of pretentious claptrap.

PS - and I don’t want to rain on anybody’s RIP type thread, but I strongly resent the suggestion above that I may not have liked Mercury because of his sexuality!!! That sort of thing matters to me not a jot!!!! And no, I’m not gay. I’m broad-minded and accepting of different types of people.

Well said. It was a very strange implication to make on an RIP thread.

Great singer who entertained millions and did a bit for gay rights. RIP.

Not my bag though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here