Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Time to scrap the 9 subs rule

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
What is the point of having 9 subs if you can only play 3 of them? There are now players who are going to be on the bench week after week.

For players such as Richards and Sarmiento (from Saturday) it is pointless sitting there again with little or no chance of coming on before March or MacAllister, and in previous weeks Roberts being there with other first team defenders ahead of him to come on from the bench.

Surely they would be better off getting game time in the Under 23s and then bring them in for cup games and a serious injury crisis.

If the answer to why do we need 9 subs is "what else is Locadia going to do on a Saturday?" then I would suggest that 5 is more than enough.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It encourages player hoarding, which doesn't help competitiveness within the division

Reduce the number

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Agree. It favours the wealthier clubs who can have a mega paid international to cover almost every position on the bench, whereas we have had two keepers, at least 2 U23s and Locadia.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It encourages player hoarding, which doesn't help competitiveness within the division

Reduce the number

It’s likely to remain at 9 players on the bench as most leagues seem to favour a switch to 5 subs being allowed from next season following a proposal by the IFAB to make the temporary increase to 5 a permanent change.

Most top European divisions are already allowing 5 subs at the moment under the temporary changes adopted when leagues restarted after covid delays. These temporary changes are due to run up to the end of Dec 2022.

Leagues will still be allowed to keep the 3 sub rule but if most top divisions adopt the new change permanently then I can’t see the PL not bringing it in too.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/five-substitutes-rule-to-be-made-permanent-w6vkzf22m

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What is the point of having 9 subs if you can only play 3 of them? There are now players who are going to be on the bench week after week.

For players such as Richards and Sarmiento (from Saturday) it is pointless sitting there again with little or no chance of coming on before March or MacAllister, and in previous weeks Roberts being there with other first team defenders ahead of him to come on from the bench.

Surely they would be better off getting game time in the Under 23s and then bring them in for cup games and a serious injury crisis.

If the answer to why do we need 9 subs is "what else is Locadia going to do on a Saturday?" then I would suggest that 5 is more than enough.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
What a disaster he was on Saturday did nothing but lose the ball, crap against Newcastle last week, he has his fans but now his best position has been snapped up by Cucurella I really don’t get the point of playing him. I would rather see what Sarmiento can do.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s likely to remain at 9 players on the bench as most leagues seem to favour a switch to 5 subs being allowed from next season following a proposal by the IFAB to make the temporary increase to 5 a permanent change.

Most top European divisions are already allowing 5 subs at the moment under the temporary changes adopted when leagues restarted after covid delays. These temporary changes are due to run up to the end of Dec 2022.

Leagues will still be allowed to keep the 3 sub rule but if most top divisions adopt the new change permanently then I can’t see the PL not bringing it in too.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/five-substitutes-rule-to-be-made-permanent-w6vkzf22m

The 9 subs on the bench rule is no issue as I see it but the five subs thing is garbage, it sometimes causes 9 or 10 interruptions in the second halfs which affects the flow of the game.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I do agree that 9 subs is too many. It must be soul destroying for a player to sit there week in week out knowing full well that he is not going to play. 6 is enough, taking 3 from 6 is reasonable.
Personally, and I am sure I am in a minority, I preferred the time when we had just one man named as the sub.. the 12th man.
If someone got injured after the sub was used .....tough luck!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The 9 subs on the bench rule is no issue as I see it but the five subs thing is garbage, it sometimes causes 9 or 10 interruptions in the second halfs which affects the flow of the game.

It shouldn’t cause that many interruptions as the rule only allows each team to have 3 windows in which to make the changes during the game. They can also make a change at half time without losing one of their 3 windows. This means although each team can make up to 5 subs the number of interruptions to the game isn’t actually more than is currently allowed with 3 subs per team.

From the sky sports report - https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...s-to-be-allowed-across-all-levels-of-the-game

An IFAB statement read: "FAP-TAP today recommended that competitions should be able to decide on increasing the number of substitutes according to the needs of their football environment, while the current number of substitution opportunities (three plus half-time) should stay the same.”

The games I’ve seen this season in La Liga etc have only had 3 windows per team to make those changes. Obviously the new concussion sub doesn’t count towards one of the three permitted windows.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Thought the rule was three substitute times per team meaning they had to do two double substitutions

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The number of subs makes a difference to our enjoyment as fans, but who really cares about how many a team can name in its match-day squad? We’ve got a 25 man senior squad, most of who will be earning 1m+ a year, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have 20 of them available as to sit on the bench every week. What else would professional footballers e doing at the weekend?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here