Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Complaining. In restaurants or in general…

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Found a melted piece of blue plastic in with my fries today at a well known fast food outlet.
Thought I’d just leave it and carry on until I had a word with myself and spoke to the manager. Got some vouchers. Probably could have got more of I’d made a fuss. But the point being, I actually hesitated about complaining. Even though there was melted plastic in my food.
Odd.

Are you good at complaining? I’m awful at it. Luckily most things I experience are satisfactory or, at least what I expected.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Found a melted piece of blue plastic in with my fries today at a well known fast food outlet.
Thought I’d just leave it and carry on until I had a word with myself and spoke to the manager. Got some vouchers. Probably could have got more of I’d made a fuss. But the point being, I actually hesitated about complaining. Even though there was melted plastic in my food.
Odd.

Are you good at complaining? I’m awful at it. Luckily most things I experience are satisfactory or, at least what I expected.

Very 'British' isn't it ? I used to let things like that go - too embarrassed or whatever - but actually have found the vast majority of organisations are usually very happy to try to sort things out. I still prefer staying calm and reasonable though - most things aren't deliberately done

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very 'British' isn't it ? I used to let things like that go - too embarrassed or whatever - but actually have found the vast majority of organisations are usually very happy to try to sort things out. I still prefer staying calm and reasonable though - most things aren't deliberately done

I've never liked complaining, but over the years have accepted less and complained more. Always calm and reasonable because so often, the person you are complaining to isn't the cause of the problem and probably isn't paid enough to take that sort of shit.

If I think it's really bad, calmly ask to see/talk to the manager, however, if it's a big multi-national, the CEO's number or e-mail are not normally too hard to find :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Absolutely. Everyone has to walk away feeling happy about it. I have never been one to get angry at service staff. I think it’s a very poor character trait to do so. As you say, most people are more than happy to be given the chance to put things right.

D

Deleted member 2719

Don't think of it as complaining think of it as constructive criticism, if they take it on they can improve their business if they chose to ignore it, then don't use them again unless you feel it was an isolated incident.

I suppose it depends how big the company is, as your voice is always lost in the bigger company, I know 2 people who are happy to sue the arse out of everyone, that's not my preferred direction, but they always come out of it richer.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My girlfriend was so annoyed with bad service at a restaurant a few weeks ago that she only gave a 15% tip.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I will always complain if I'm spending my money and not receiving what I paid for, wether that be food or a service. It doesn't happen often though, thankfully.

If I'm in a restaurant and the food is crap I will always make a point of saying to the waiter or waitress "This is not your fault as you didn't cook it - you only brought it to me, so please don't think I'm having a go at you personally, but..." and then describe the crap which has been put in front of you. I do feel sorry for waiting staff who get customers having a go at them for the food. I'd happily pick up my plate, wander into the kitchen, plonk it in front of the chef and ask him what the f*ck was he or she doing sending this crap out - but they're always hidden away acting all self important most of the time. (Not all chefs are knobs, just 99% of them).

As previously mentioned, calm and reasonable is the way to go - unless you get palmed off as a soft touch for being calm and reasonable, then it's time to turn up the volume. :glare:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don't think of it as complaining think of it as constructive criticism, if they take it on they can improve their business if they chose to ignore it, then don't use them again unless you feel it was an isolated incident.

I suppose it depends how big the company is, as your voice is always lost in the bigger company, I know 2 people who are happy to sue the arse out of everyone, that's not my preferred direction, but they always come out of it richer.

I’m happy with a genuine apology most of the time. I’ve got vouchers etc and a free hotel stay in the past, when a very special weekend was ruined by staff attitude. I’ve seen some people hound companies for pay-outs, way too much stress for the rewards.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Complain very nicely, or wait until after the chef’s finished producing your table’s food.

Years ago, I remember complaining about a waitress who had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle, was surly, rude and threw our plates of food across the table. Someone else in our group then pointed out her putting on her jacket and storming out the door.

I kept looking over my shoulder all the way home that night :wink:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm very good at drawing attention to poor service and issues in restaurants, my phone, by email etc. No hesitation whatsoever. I don't expect perfect, but nothing less than what's advertised and what I'm paying for. I'm also very polite.:smile:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I will always complain if I'm spending my money and not receiving what I paid for, wether that be food or a service. It doesn't happen often though, thankfully.

If I'm in a restaurant and the food is crap I will always make a point of saying to the waiter or waitress "This is not your fault as you didn't cook it - you only brought it to me, so please don't think I'm having a go at you personally, but..." and then describe the crap which has been put in front of you. I do feel sorry for waiting staff who get customers having a go at them for the food. I'd happily pick up my plate, wander into the kitchen, plonk it in front of the chef and ask him what the f*ck was he or she doing sending this crap out - but they're always hidden away acting all self important most of the time. (Not all chefs are knobs, just 99% of them).

As previously mentioned, calm and reasonable is the way to go - unless you get palmed off as a soft touch for being calm and reasonable, then it's time to turn up the volume. :glare:

Good post.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Ok, I was in Oslo and had lamb chops. I like lamb chops done well. So, here's the thing. The Chef
refused to do them the way I wanted them done. So I paid 100 quid for the whole meal for two eating
something I hated. I should have said 'well, if you aren't prepared to cook it the way I want, I won't
pay. That was 10 years ago. Today I'd go f******g mental if the chef told me that. Still annoys me.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I have no issue complaining if the food or service is not acceptable.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think if something is wrong it’s worth mentioning it, better than saying nothing and never going back.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Mrs DiS complained last year in a very nice restaurant in Woodstock that the steak that she had ordered as medium rare was actually burnt and inedible. She got a fresh steak……. Eventually.

The service was rubbish and then when we paid the first transaction didn’t seem to go through, so we did it again. When we checked later both had worked, so we had to go back the next day for a refund. Even then, there wasn’t a member of staff available who could process the refund, so we had to go back again when the right person came on shift.

We didn’t even get an apology and gave them a rubbish review in Tripadvisor.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I remember requesting a refund in a restaurant/pub in Kingston as the food simply didn’t turn up. After asking four times our food was found going stiff under a heat lamp.
The bar keeper said “I don’t think the chef does refunds” and continued to try and get rid of us.

That’s the only time I’ve got a bit shitty with staff. Crap pub, crap staff. But was actually (supposed to be) a rather good pub in a good area. It wasn’t cheap but was order and pay at the bar so obviously not top notch.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It does pay to complain. Both outbound and return trains I had booked for the Norwich away match were cancelled. Did delay and repay and got the total amount back.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sometimes I hide and check my wife's passport in case she really is called Karen.

Opposite attract and all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here