Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad rebuild next summer?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not many contracts are ending next summer. Out of the first team players it is just Welbeck and Gross. I would say that both of them is something of a 50/50 if we're going to see them in 2022/23. When it comes to Gross not yet signing a new contract it might indicate he moves but he still plays a lot so I wouldnt take it for granted. Welbeck obviously depends on how he does in the spring.

The contracts ending in 2023 are more interesting however, as in the summer the club could be in a "sell or lose for free" situation:
Bissouma
Maupay
Trossard
Mac Allister
Veltman
Duffy
Burn
Lallana
Steele
Roberts
Sarmiento

I could see quite a few of these leaving and they would in some cases need to be replaced in what could be the biggest squad overhaul since GP took over.

My guesses:

Bissouma will be sold, I dont think there is any way around it. If he was going to renew his contract it would likely have been done by now.

Maupay... depends on the next few months, in both ways: does he want to stay? Is the club interested in keeping him? I think he will be sold next summer. Probably for a sum similar to what he arrived for. I ****ing love him but I think the club wants something new up front and that Maupay is someone who is not going to be happy sitting on the bench for too long.

Trossard. Same as with Bissouma, could play for a very good club and since he is turning 27 in December it is now or never for that move to happen. Just as in the case with Bissouma, club wont get full value but probably a good profit.

Mac Allister. Needs to establish himself in the vicinity of the starting eleven before the end of the season or both club and player will want to move on. He is still very young though so cant rule out extension + loan to eg La Liga club.

Veltman, Burn and Duffy will probably stay. Could see one or two of them extending their contracts as well. Lallana will either stay for a final year or call it. Steele no idea. Roberts fair chance of a new deal. Sarmiento is probably going to extend his contract in the not too distant future.

Three, plus potentially Gross and Welbeck, almost ever-present players out. Somewhat scary, but also a very interesting opportunity and will be interesting to see what will happen and what kind of squad GP (or another manager) will have to his disposal next season.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Not many contracts are ending next summer. Out of the first team players it is just Welbeck and Gross. I would say that both of them is something of a 50/50 if we're going to see them in 2022/23. When it comes to Gross not yet signing a new contract it might indicate he moves but he still plays a lot so I wouldnt take it for granted. Welbeck obviously depends on how he does in the spring.

The contracts ending in 2023 are more interesting however, as in the summer the club could be in a "sell or lose for free" situation:
Bissouma
Maupay
Trossard
Mac Allister
Veltman
Duffy
Burn
Lallana
Steele
Roberts
Sarmiento

I could see quite a few of these leaving and they would in some cases need to be replaced in what could be the biggest squad overhaul since GP took over.

My guesses:

Bissouma will be sold, I dont think there is any way around it. If he was going to renew his contract it would likely have been done by now.

Maupay... depends on the next few months, in both ways: does he want to stay? Is the club interested in keeping him? I think he will be sold next summer. Probably for a sum similar to what he arrived for. I ****ing love him but I think the club wants something new up front and that Maupay is someone who is not going to be happy sitting on the bench for too long.

Trossard. Same as with Bissouma, could play for a very good club and since he is turning 27 in December it is now or never for that move to happen. Just as in the case with Bissouma, club wont get full value but probably a good profit.

Mac Allister. Needs to establish himself in the vicinity of the starting eleven before the end of the season or both club and player will want to move on. He is still very young though so cant rule out extension + loan to eg La Liga club.

Veltman, Burn and Duffy will probably stay. Could see one or two of them extending their contracts as well. Lallana will either stay for a final year or call it. Steele no idea. Roberts fair chance of a new deal. Sarmiento is probably going to extend his contract in the not too distant future.

Three, plus potentially Gross and Welbeck, almost ever-present players out. Somewhat scary, but also a very interesting opportunity and will be interesting to see what will happen and what kind of squad GP (or another manager) will have to his disposal next season.

Agree with most of that.Gross going is no big deal,superb value-for-money signing but you cannot play him and Lallana in the same team.MacAllister will go,Potter does not rate him.I would also off-load Moder,does not bring anything to the party

Things have to change

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Has anyone considered the idea of including an incoming striker in the rebuild?

I think it might help us a little.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
If I was MacAllister, I wouldn't sign a new contract and would probably be asking my agent to find me a move in January.

Yep. Really thought he would kick on this year. Hasn’t ever really had a decent run, but also has been hit and miss when he has played, so a bit ‘chicken and egg’ on whose fault it is. Disappointing as there looks to be a player in there.

I really hope Trossard stays. He’d be even more effective with some good (and fast) attackers alongside him imho.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Bissouma
Maupay
Trossard
Mac Allister
Veltman
Duffy
Burn
Lallana
Steele
Roberts
Sarmiento

My guesses:

Summer 2023 is still nigh on 18 months away, anything could happen by then, and for my money it isn't even worth speculating on, plenty of time for Potter to be sacked, a new Ice Age to dawn, and for Hell to freeze over. :yawn:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Summer 2023 is still nigh on 18 months away, anything could happen by then, and for my money it isn't even worth speculating on, plenty of time for Potter to be sacked, a new Ice Age to dawn, and for Hell to freeze over. :yawn:

Contracts ending in 2023 affects things the next summer as much as it does 2023.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I expect a few of the 2023-expirers will sign extensions before the summer. Hopefully Trossard and Mac Allister will be amongst them.

I have an idea that Groß will sign a pre-contract at an overseas club in January.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The squad will continue to evolve as it does every summer. Some players will sign new contracts; some will be sold; some will be released on a free; loaned players will return and new players transferred in.

The thread title is bollocks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The squad will continue to evolve as it does every summer. Some players will sign new contracts; some will be sold; some will be released on a free; loaned players will return and new players transferred in.

I think we can expect more than last summer when one important player (White) left and two arrived (Mwepu & Cucurella).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

B******* indeed, what do we really need to rebuild? After our unexpectedly good start to the season and until after that great point at Anfield, everyone was saying what a magnificent squad we had.

Just a few games and the odd iffy result later, and the majority of NSC, as is normal alas, are up in arms demanding wholesale changes.

Such short memories.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
B******* indeed, what do we really need to rebuild? After our unexpectedly good start to the season and until after that great point at Anfield, everyone was saying what a magnificent squad we had.

Just a few games and the odd iffy result later, and the majority of NSC, as is normal alas, are up in arms demanding wholesale changes.

Such short memories.

Demanding this and demanding that, the contract situation is that several key players have their contracts ending in 18 months and it is unlikely that at least in the case of Tross and Bissouma that they would choose to stay with Brighton instead of going to a top club in Europe.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have been posting around 5000 times a season for the last decade that we NEED a new striker and can't understand why no one is listening to me.

Capture.PNG

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Demanding this and demanding that, the contract situation is that several key players have their contracts ending in 18 months and it is unlikely that at least in the case of Tross and Bissouma that they would choose to stay with Brighton instead of going to a top club in Europe.

Bissouma maybe but I don't think Trossard is that well regarded elsewhere. I like him but he is classically inconsistent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here