Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do Albion Bonuses Get Paid Out On Possession Stats?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Certainly seems to be the case that meaningless possession percentage in a non-threatening area of the pitch is somehow worthy of some brownie points. What GIVES? ???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nope. Helps conceding fewer goals however.

I'm sure everyone would like Brighton to attack a bit quicker and be more on the last third of the pitch, but the quality isnt there. The team is playing to its strengths.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Yesterday was the worst game in quite some time for tedious, sideways and backwards passing for posession's sake

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yesterday was the worst game in quite some time for tedious, sideways and backwards passing for posession's sake

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

That Dicking-Around-At-The-Back thing has been here as long as Potter's been here. Not fooling anyone. Not helping us one one little bit. Fair play to the players tho, they're only following gormless benny orders

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
That Dicking-Around-At-The-Back thing has been here as long as Potter's been here. Not fooling anyone. Not helping us one one little bit. Fair play to the players tho, they're only following gormless benny orders

Can we have the thumbs down button back.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Potter’s philosophy seems to be if the opposition do not get the ball, they can’t score….which is spot on and an excellent philosophy. BUT where it falls down is that with possession comes the requirement to play in the opposition half and converting a series of chances that your domination creates.

It’s very pretty passing along the back line and then into midfield and then back again, and it will work for a while against good teams, but fails against poorer sides that sit back and wait for the inevitable ****up that will come sooner than later.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. Pretty galling when we struggle to have attempts on goal against the bottom club, get a free kick on the half-way line.... and pass backwards.

The natives at The Amex will be getting restless if we see much more of that...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potter’s philosophy seems to be if the opposition do not get the ball, they can’t score….which is spot on and an excellent philosophy. BUT where it falls down is that with possession comes the requirement to play in the opposition half and converting a series of chances that your domination creates.

It’s very pretty passing along the back line and then into midfield and then back again, and it will work for a while against good teams, but fails against poorer sides that sit back and wait for the inevitable ****up that will come sooner than later.

It'll work pretty well against ANY side. It doesn't pose any kind of threat to them. It's just the Albion running the clock down in their own half. Stats might look really pretty, but it's really pretty dumb. Any kind of half-smart opposition manager will be perfickly happy for the Albion to do that dumb thing all day long. Then score on the break from an Albion corner :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
but fails against poorer sides that sit back and wait for the inevitable ****up that will come sooner than later.

Not just the poorer sides though is it, they handed Man City 3 points on a silver platter.

When Potterball works it's glorious but those games are so few and far between.
When Potterball fails it's oh so predictable and those games are plentiful.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A football forum where many people dont understand football. Who would have thought it!

I think people are frustrated that our possession stats very rarely help us to win a game.
I don’t much care for home sides beating us when we dominate the ball. It’s almost like they know we are toothless and plan accordingly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think people are frustrated that our possession stats very rarely help us to win a game.

While that is understandable, what I fail to understand is why some people think having less possession, have the defenders make near impossible passes because "otherwise people might get impatient" and generally go back to some kind of medieval style of football would automatically produce better results.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't the team have a better win percentage when the possession is lower?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here