Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our first choice midfield?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Everyone has identified the main problem with our squad by now, the clear lack of a Premier League quality striker. However, I've been really disappointed with some of our midfield showings in recent games.

As picked up in the matchday thread yesterday, Gross seems to be slower than ever & despite a flurry of corners yesterday we never really threatened, combined with Lallana's lack of speed our build up play can be painfully slow at times with the only injection of any pace or urgency coming from Cucurella or Lamptey.

This has prompted me to think about the midfield and, despite a huge number of apparent options our lack of a clear strategy. As above, I really don't think we can afford to start Lallana and Gross against any Premier League team as it makes us far too easy to defend against. IMO Bissouma has to start when fit as despite the recent goings on coupled with an injury, he is by far our best player in terms of industry and moving forward with the ball. I still think Lallana has a role to play in terms of creativity but I would have him playing further back with the intention of picking passes, as he really doesn't look adept in front of goal to me.

I then think the more attacking role in midfield is up for grabs, I have been impressed with Mwepu in recent games and would probably give him the nod when available, but it seems like he could be a bit of a sicknote based on his time here thus far. I like Ali Mac but I don't think he's been playing particularly well recently, and Moder also has lots of potential but doesn't seem particularly consistent at this moment in time.

I think if Mwepu isn't fit for the Leeds game next weekend, I would like to see Sarmiento involved at some point, as we are crying out for some pace and invention. Thoughts?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Goal threat from midfield would help. We can start threads about forwards and false 9s, but it does mask the fact we lack goals from other avenues. While some lament how poor we were v Newcastle, I don’t think we were, particularly presentable chances that should win games at this level aren’t even threatening the target, opportunities to get a shot off given over to an extra pass. While we weren’t great at Norwich, or home to Newcastle, both games should have been wins given chances created.

A lot of this is player confidence, to my mind only Trossard has confidence to take on various shooting opportunities and has belief to do so - hence he’s the main reason for the false-9 experiment.

Just need to pick ourselves up and go again. Hopefully Maupay will be extra hungry to send a message not to be dropped again. Leeds is probably an ideal game, a big challenge, but a side that will go toe to toe.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Everyone has identified the main problem with our squad by now, the clear lack of a Premier League quality striker. However, I've been really disappointed with some of our midfield showings in recent games.

As picked up in the matchday thread yesterday, Gross seems to be slower than ever & despite a flurry of corners yesterday we never really threatened, combined with Lallana's lack of speed our build up play can be painfully slow at times with the only injection of any pace or urgency coming from Cucurella or Lamptey.

This has prompted me to think about the midfield and, despite a huge number of apparent options our lack of a clear strategy. As above, I really don't think we can afford to start Lallana and Gross against any Premier League team as it makes us far too easy to defend against. IMO Bissouma has to start when fit as despite the recent goings on coupled with an injury, he is by far our best player in terms of industry and moving forward with the ball. I still think Lallana has a role to play in terms of creativity but I would have him playing further back with the intention of picking passes, as he really doesn't look adept in front of goal to me.

I then think the more attacking role in midfield is up for grabs, I have been impressed with Mwepu in recent games and would probably give him the nod when available, but it seems like he could be a bit of a sicknote based on his time here thus far. I like Ali Mac but I don't think he's been playing particularly well recently, and Moder also has lots of potential but doesn't seem particularly consistent at this moment in time.

I think if Mwepu isn't fit for the Leeds game next weekend, I would like to see Sarmiento involved at some point, as we are crying out for some pace and invention. Thoughts?

Yes, we are crying out for some pace and invention.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Goal threat from midfield would help.

The only goal scoring threat is Mwepu from midfield, maybe Mac Allister on a good day.

You know that a midfield 3 of Lallana, Biss and Groß will get you zero goals 99% of the time. March is very poor at shooting so if Tross is not at it, we’re not scoring. Moder got plenty of goals in Poland but can’t score for toffee in the EPL. Awful.

Potter stuffs the team full of midfielders who can’t hit a barn door with a banjo because the club have not provided him with the sort of goal scoring quality we need in forward positions; the sort of quality we have in other positions with the likes of Dunk, Bissouma & Lamptey.

I’m getting sick of this goal drought. We need at least 2 goal scorers (wingers or forwards) in January and we need to replace the likes of Locadia and Connolly who Potter will only play in cup games because he does not rate them in the EPL.

The club is paying a huge price for missing out on Nunez and Gonzalez in the summer.

I just can’t see where the next ****ing goal is coming from other than an Xmas present from Welbeck when he eventually returns. We’re like a Tiger with no teeth. And when our defence concede (albeit rarely) we have no response.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bissouma + one or two either young and inconsistent or painfully slow midfielders. They are all "good", problem is that in the Premier League good equals bang average.

Its a bit of a dilemma currently but lots of potential in Mwepu, Moder and Ali Mac to take the step to the next level. Its just not something that happens overnight and they will be very up and down for the foreseeable future.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Bissouma (niggle free and without the sword of damocles over his head) is a world class DM. Lallana is a wonderful linking midfielder. Both are serially non-prolific in goalscoring terms. Mwepu looks like he could do damage if he gets a continued run in the side. Flanked by Cucu and TL - that should be enough creativity, solidity, pace and athleticism for any PL midfield.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On yesterday's performance, Gross and Lallana should be dropped.

Lallana was virtually anonymous for most of the game and his shooting is awful.

Perhaps it's time to be brave and try someone new like Sarmiento, Ferguson or even Tolaj.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For what is worth, I think we should be playing as close to this formation and team as possible and actually offer some attacking intent to the opposition:

—————————Sanchez————————-
——-Webster——-Duffy——-Dunk————-
Lamptey——Lallana—Bissouma—-Cucurella
—————————Trossard—————————
——-Maupay—————————Welbeck——-

The problem is, that leaves Mwepu, Groß, Mac Allister, Alzate, Richards and Moder largely redundant. Our squad is incredibly unbalanced with so many non-scoring (but talented otherwise) midfielders filling our ranks.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We have enough quality midfielders Just need somebody to take the responsibility to make forward runs and get in box. Bissouma as our one outstanding midfielder would be ideal for this but as shown when he was injured nobody to take his defensive role. Just hope that Mwepu can do this. Trouble is most of our midfielders taking easy option by playing close to half way line with short passes instead of committing to forward runs

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
On yesterday's performance, Gross and Lallana should be dropped.

Lallana was virtually anonymous for most of the game and his shooting is awful.

Perhaps it's time to be brave and try someone new like Sarmiento, Ferguson or even Tolaj.

Whilst admitting that Lallana was far from his best yesterday, we are all entitled to the odd poor game once in a while, so to drop one of our most instrumental players on the back of it would be foolhardy in my opinion. In fact it was only a few weeks ago that we were lauding him to the heavens for his performances this season, the one he put in up at Anfield being a case in point.

None of the three possible replacements, (in your eyes not mine), are like for like players anyway. Sarmiento has been on the bench a few times recently, and he may well get his chance before too long.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would have MacAllister in there on a semi-permanent basis. Proper player. Would be more than happy to ditch the show-pony Bissouma. Where's the goals? Where's the assists? Perfick ManU dud signing IMHO. Pogba Lite :lol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Would have MacAllister in there on a semi-permanent basis. Proper player. Would be more than happy to ditch the show-pony Bissouma. Where's the goals? Where's the assists? Perfick ManU dud signing IMHO. Pogba Lite :lol:

Yeah l know where you are coming from viz a viz Bissouma, l know he is going through this legal process at the moment which may be affecting his performances on the field, but if that's the case then why play him?

When on form probably one of our better players, but very far from world class as someone was suggesting on another thread.

Not sure that Ali Mac is the answer though, and certainly not permanantly.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Bissouma outstanding in position he plays. Winning the ball and giving to a more forward player. Thats where it stops because others not getting in attacking positions to receive ball.
Bissouma as seems only player willing to run with ball could easily do that role but who would take his place at the back

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For what is worth, I think we should be playing as close to this formation and team as possible and actually offer some attacking intent to the opposition:

—————————Sanchez————————-
——-Webster——-Duffy——-Dunk————-
Lamptey——Lallana—Bissouma—-Cucurella
—————————Trossard—————————
——-Maupay—————————Welbeck——-

The problem is, that leaves Mwepu, Groß, Mac Allister, Alzate, Richards and Moder largely redundant. Our squad is incredibly unbalanced with so many non-scoring (but talented otherwise) midfielders filling our ranks.

Yes, and that is a problem. Three of those young players have lost - or are in severe danger of losing - places in their national teams by being stuck on the bench a lot of the time here, and not starting regularly. And we'll have Caicedo back next season too, unless we've decidrd to sell him on - and he won't want to sit on the bench all the time either.
Wouldn't be surprised if some start wanting away. Our loss .....................

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, and that is a problem. Three of those young players have lost - or are in severe danger of losing - places in their national teams by being stuck on the bench a lot of the time here, and not starting regularly. And we'll have Caicedo back next season too, unless we've decidrd to sell him on - and he won't want to sit on the bench all the time either.
Wouldn't be surprised if some start wanting away. Our loss .....................

I wondered how these players would view their time here and if they , like Propper , would move on.

Gross ( can see him going back to Germany)
Mac Allister -Spain
Alzate - Spain
Moder - possibly another European league.
Caciedo - can’t see him coming back
Laddy at stoke not setting them on fire
Zequiri - France or Switzerland

Such a shame for all our supposed brilliance in the scouting market, we seem to be woeful in the striking department.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

It is inevitable that some of the talents wont make it and turn into consistent Premier League players. In five years a few of them will play in smaller leagues. Such is football and such is life.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As others have said, we have a problem with our squad balance. We lack pace in the middle, we lack a goal threat. We have too many players who are excellent in possession but offer little else. Time for a few really tough decisions over the next few windows. I think we need to get rid of at least a few of our squad. Alzate (who definitely has potential), Connolly (who had potential) and Locadia would be obvious choices. We can’t just keep adding similar players to the squad without letting people go and as much as I feel we should be patient with younger players they simply can’t all play, or even feature in the squad, and very few of them seem to be offering anything different or useful. Sarmiento should feature more. We miss a fit Izzy. He genuinely offered something entirely different when he first joined and brought a freshness to the team.
It’s painfully obvious much we lack pace as much as a goal threat.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wondered how these players would view their time here and if they , like Propper , would move on.

Gross ( can see him going back to Germany)
Mac Allister -Spain
Alzate - Spain
Moder - possibly another European league.
Caciedo - can’t see him coming back
Laddy at stoke not setting them on fire
Zequiri - France or Switzerland

Such a shame for all our supposed brilliance in the scouting market, we seem to be woeful in the striking department.

Not sure why some "cant see Caicedo coming back".

He just turned 20 and has loads of potential. If someone asked me the question "who out of Mac Allister, Moder, Richards and Caicedo do you think most likely will be a key player for Brighton in three years?" I would go with Caicedo without any hesitation.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is inevitable that some of the talents wont make it and turn into consistent Premier League players. In five years a few of them will play in smaller leagues. Such is football and such is life.

The situation is hardly unique to Brighton & Hove Albion. It happens with every club in every league, that some signings, and some seemingly quality prospects from development squads and youth teams fall by the way side, either without making a first team place their own, or even reaching the first team at all.

It's the way things have always been, and the way that they will remain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here