Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stop this false nine nonsense now

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Can’t understand it. Maupay has had the benefit of a break, Trossard was on initial duty. Maupay was also in good scoring form until the false 9 experiment. Can’t do Maupay confidence any good

Maupay had got 1 in 4 games and 2 in 7 before the Liverpool game so was hardly in good scoring form. He was quite poor generally in the games before that too so he can hardly complain.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
They suited Liverpool. Though we were a fingernail away from 3 down in no time in that game.

Since then we’ve been dogshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe then change title of thread to ‘ stop this false nine nonsense against some teams but not others’ ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maupay had got 1 in 4 games and 2 in 7 before the Liverpool game so was hardly in good scoring form. He was quite poor generally in the games before that too so he can hardly complain.

How’s Trossards record ? Or anyone else.

He can complain - he is the best we have.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
You know you can't just pop down to Sainsburys and buy a striker yes ? Which striker would you suggest we buy and who do you suggest pays for him ?

Bored of this argument, it's been a clear issue for over 2 years, our owner is a billionaire, we've spent millions in other areas and other clubs manage just fine. Not managing to get something over the line in the first 1 or 2 windows, fair enough, but it is simply unacceptable at this stage.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I concur. But actually lets stop calling it a false nine. Its media created nonsense. Basically means a midget leading the line. Works as a surprise if well supported from midfield but is so easy to defend against if it is expected and there are no runners beyond.

When is Welbeck going to be fit. And what is Maupay done? Did he plop in Potter's coffee?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good for a game and a quarter but useless for the next 180 minutes. Big trek to Villa Park today and we had fewer shots than a Hughton side would have.

Must sign a striker in January and must play him or Maupay or both.

Yes, where I am.

So disappointed - as much as we all love Potter, he got it wrong today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You know you can't just pop down to Sainsburys and buy a striker yes ? Which striker would you suggest we buy and who do you suggest pays for him ?

I suggest we get a lad with pace who can head and is bigger than 5ft 10, and the obscene television money pays for him via Bloom.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Maupay has started every season well in his time with us and then faded.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
A false 9 would work if we had a midfield that had the speed and guile to get up and support when balls are played into the box. Sadly Gross is far far to slow and Biss needs intensive shooting practice along with Lallana if they did get there

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Graham Potter is unarguably a good tactician. But every so often he’s guilty of running with an idea much longer than it should happen. Burn at LWB. Gross on the wing. Now Trossard as a false nine. Not every team plays the same, and our players are not so good they can adapt to whatever is thrown at them. So what worked against Liverpool won’t likely work against Newcastle and Villa, as 1 point from 6 amply demonstrates.

:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, where I am.

So disappointed - as much as we all love Potter, he got it wrong today.

Our good results were got with Maupay and Welbeck as a two. Now neither are playing and we’ve scored one penalty in 180 minutes of football against two awful teams.

I know DW is injured but surely if Connolly and DJ Strollabout are good enough they should be in? Otherwise one of them should have gone on loan and the other paid off, with Andone or Swiss Andi kept and a new signing.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Our good results were got with Maupay and Welbeck as a two. Now neither are playing and we’ve scored one penalty in 180 minutes of football against two awful teams.

I know DW is injured but surely if Connolly and DJ Strollabout are good enough they should be in? Otherwise one of them should have gone on loan and the other paid off, with Andone or Swiss Andi kept and a new signing.

Strollabout will never get a game so why waste a subs place on him. Get one of the youngsters on there. Rooney was good enough at 18

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I am 100% sure we'd have given away DJ Strollabout if anyone was willing to take him!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We spent near on £50m in the summer Cucurella apart we could of lived without the others all could of gone on a different front option.

Grim up North

Banned
Nov 18, 2021
It is absolutely baffling that a club that is run so perfectly in almost every area have been totally inept in addressing the clear and obvious issue of the past two seasons, that literally every football fan sees as so glaringly obvious. Sign a striker FFS, we will simply never progress without one regardless of anything else.

I totally agree with you, but who? We are never going to sign the elusive 'proven goalscorer' unless we sign Salah or Kane or Vardy. We are in the market for championship (Maupay) or European league (Locadia) strikers who carry a massive risk. Unless we get seriously lucky in the transfer market and sign a hidden gem of a striker that's the reality of the situation.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've never been Maupays greatest fan, especially last year when he seemed to scuff everything and contracted cows arse and banjo disease off Connolly. I have, however, developed a huge appreciation for him watching us the last 2 games. No one making the defenders work, no one holding the ball up, no one on the shoulder of the defenders. Without him - and more to the point Welbeck - I've seen more movement in an old people's home.

Onwards. Lets hope we play an actual forward against Leeds.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

We were average against Palace, Maupay did equalise but wasn’t on his game in that fixture. We then had 2 blanks against Arsenal & Norwich where if memory recalls, Maupay missed some very presentable chances. We then got overrun in the first half against ManCity but much much better after Maupay went off before the hour mark, and so GP thought it was worth a look at Liverpool and we looked very good in that game. So then we had Newcastle and really without being devastating we did enough to win. So he’s stuck with it, and today it looked not so good. So you can understand why, with Welbeck out, Connolly just not up to it at this juncture, he’s had a look at an option for a few games.

So yeah 2 blanks against to average sides, same scenario we had with Arsenal and Norwich to be honest with Maupay in the side. :shrug:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Doesn't really matter who we play if you don't shoot you don't score.

We are pedestrian in possession and no one wants to take anyone on with exception of Lamptey and Cucurella who provided some of the brighter moments ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here