Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stop this false nine nonsense now

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If Maupay is the answer, it shows the extent of out problems.
But yeah, he should have started today and should start next week.
Gross should be benched.

Exactly. He is the best option. 8 false 9 games. Zero wins IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Absolutely fine when you use it to outwit a great team like Liverpool. Not when you barely create a chance v Newcastle and Villa. Absolute waste of an afternoon

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
On my way back from that shithole now.
That was not good enough, there’s zero urgency, same as v Newcastle. Villa were shit and there for the taking today.

I’m done with Gross, shit delivery ALL match, they broke on us twice from corners because his delivery was woeful.

In open play he slows us down to a walking pace.
Thanks for the memories but please go.

I actually think he is a good back up for Lallana in a deeper playmaker position with Biss.

However, what we really need is dynamism in the attacking positions and he is not quite there. The minimum we need this January is Mitoma plus a striker who can fill in for Welbeck.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolutely fine when you use it to outwit a great team like Liverpool. Not when you barely create a chance v Newcastle and Villa. Absolute waste of an afternoon

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

To be fair the currywurst and double pint was decent. The good day out stopped the second we picked that team though.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Can’t understand it. Maupay has had the benefit of a break, Trossard was on initial duty. Maupay was also in good scoring form until the false 9 experiment. Can’t do Maupay confidence any good

For someone who is clearly a confidence player, I don't understand why we keep insisting on the false 9, which a isn't working and b isn't doing his confidence and eye for goal any good for when he does come on/start.

Lose, lose situation :shrug:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
What did you think about the 11 that fought back against Liverpool???

But under GP we've had plenty of those type of performances against the top teams. Last season... We finished 16th.

They're brilliant when they occur, of course, but it's the bread and butter games that continue to be an issue.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
But under GP we've had plenty of those type of performances against the top teams. Last season... We finished 16th.

They're brilliant when they occur, of course, but it's the bread and butter games that continue to be an issue.

Yes I agree, but this is a thread about playing a false number 9, as we did so successfully against Liverpool

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The difference is Mwuepo, we got worse when he went off v Newcastle too, it didn’t help that MacArgie had his worst 45 minutes in the stripes.

As a team we are so slow, it’s painful. The only pace is out wide and Potter subbed them both!!!!!!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
We should be testing the keeper against a side that have lost their last five.

Looking at last 5 results or whatever is always a bit naive in this league. Southampton went to Norwich today in great form themselves, Brentford concede 3 against Newcastle who park 2 buses in games, we go to Villa with their excitement of a new manager, and neither side really took the advantage until Watkins scored a cracker.

Got enough faith in GP that if doesn’t think the false 9 has anymore legs, he won’t play it. He’s always quick to change things, and saw some success and alternative to just Maupay as our main forward option. Would be surprised if we’re not back to Maupay v Leeds.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What did you think about the 11 that fought back against Liverpool???

They suited Liverpool. Though we were a fingernail away from 3 down in no time in that game.

Since then we’ve been dogshit.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
They suited Liverpool. Though we were a fingernail away from 3 down in no time in that game.

Since then we’ve been dogshit.

We’ve only played twice since Anfield.

We weren’t dogshit against Newcastle either, we dominated most of the game against a team that parked the bus and then some. Happens to the best teams coming up against those kind of tactics.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Graham Potter is unarguably a good tactician. But every so often he’s guilty of running with an idea much longer than it should happen. Burn at LWB. Gross on the wing. Now Trossard as a false nine. Not every team plays the same, and our players are not so good they can adapt to whatever is thrown at them. So what worked against Liverpool won’t likely work against Newcastle and Villa, as 1 point from 6 amply demonstrates.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have to agree with you for once. Fine to do it at Anfield, but against Newcastle and Villa, nah. Especially when Maupay had been playing well all season, what must he be thinking?

And if we're going to do it, do it better. You need runners from midfield bursting into the box, but that's not been happening the last few games

More Pay wants to leave, according to another poster :shrug:

Gonna be some stinky beds in Sussex tomorrow morning, judging by the rumblings on NSC this evening.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Looking at last 5 results or whatever is always a bit naive in this league. Southampton went to Norwich today in great form themselves, Brentford concede 3 against Newcastle who park 2 buses in games, we go to Villa with their excitement of a new manager, and neither side really took the advantage until Watkins scored a cracker.

Got enough faith in GP that if doesn’t think the false 9 has anymore legs, he won’t play it. He’s always quick to change things, and saw some success and alternative to just Maupay as our main forward option. Would be surprised if we’re not back to Maupay v Leeds.

The point of GP is that we should be testing the keeper. You missed that bit in your reply

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It is absolutely baffling that a club that is run so perfectly in almost every area have been totally inept in addressing the clear and obvious issue of the past two seasons, that literally every football fan sees as so glaringly obvious. Sign a striker FFS, we will simply never progress without one regardless of anything else.

You know you can't just pop down to Sainsburys and buy a striker yes ? Which striker would you suggest we buy and who do you suggest pays for him ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I actually think he is a good back up for Lallana in a deeper playmaker position with Biss.

However, what we really need is dynamism in the attacking positions and he is not quite there. The minimum we need this January is Mitoma plus a striker who can fill in for Welbeck.

I don’t think Mitouma will have played enough in Belgium to get a work permit in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here