Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stop this false nine nonsense now

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good for a game and a quarter but useless for the next 180 minutes. Big trek to Villa Park today and we had fewer shots than a Hughton side would have.

Must sign a striker in January and must play him or Maupay or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My thoughts three seasons in and Potter still has no idea what his best eleven is. How can you add players to a squad to make it stronger if you don’t know your best eleven in the first place :shrug:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Have to agree with you for once. Fine to do it at Anfield, but against Newcastle and Villa, nah. Especially when Maupay had been playing well all season, what must he be thinking?

And if we're going to do it, do it better. You need runners from midfield bursting into the box, but that's not been happening the last few games

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Disagree, nothing wrong with it.

As I said on another thread, the problem was the players we had around Trossard. Starting Moder and Gross was a big mistake, it needs to be March and Mwepu so they can get forward to support him so with Mwepu unavailable, I think we should have started Maupay today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am a big Potter fan but he really does need to stop this fecking around going sideways and backwards in attack. We even managed to get the ball back to the keeper from a corner we had.

That was a fecking abysmal display and GP carries the can. We are light in the attack department without Welbeck but the build up was just awful. Most frustrating game I recall for a long time.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
It is absolutely baffling that a club that is run so perfectly in almost every area have been totally inept in addressing the clear and obvious issue of the past two seasons, that literally every football fan sees as so glaringly obvious. Sign a striker FFS, we will simply never progress without one regardless of anything else.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can’t understand it. Maupay has had the benefit of a break, Trossard was on initial duty. Maupay was also in good scoring form until the false 9 experiment. Can’t do Maupay confidence any good

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Good for a game and a quarter but useless for the next 180 minutes. Big trek to Villa Park today and we had fewer shots than a Hughton side would have.

Must sign a striker in January and must play him or Maupay or both.

Spot on. All of it

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have a number nine who used to play for England and is made of glass.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We can't stop it now as we don't have an actual number 9.

I've usually been quiet on this issue, but this season has been such a wasted opportunity solely down to the clubs' inability to sign a striker.

We have Maupay. He has to play until the window opens

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
My thoughts three seasons in and Potter still has no idea what his best eleven is. How can you add players to a squad to make it stronger if you don’t know your best eleven in the first place :shrug:

I will give him a clue. The eleven he played today is not his best eleven. Maupay has to play

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It is absolutely baffling that a club that is run so perfectly in almost every area have been totally inept in addressing the clear and obvious issue of the past two seasons, that literally every football fan sees as so glaringly obvious. Sign a striker FFS, we will simply never progress without one regardless of anything else.

This is spot on. It is unbelievable that such a well run club is run so badly in this one vital aspect

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I hope & think Maupay will start against Leeds. Missing his movement up front.

The idea with the formation against Newcastle and today is that with another midfielder Cucurella and Lamptey can pretty much play as wingers because they will always have cover. You want Lamptey to make threatening dribbles into the penalty box and combine with the Tross. Unfortunately, Targett ate Lamptey alive today in the first few duels and after that Lamptey lost the confidence to try to go past him. With Trossard also being taken care of, it left the team with pretty much nothing going forward.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And if we're going to do it, do it better[/I]. You need runners from midfield bursting into the box, but that's not been happening the last few games

This for me - yes, let's do it, but do it better.

Disagree, nothing wrong with it.
As I said on another thread, the problem was the players we had around Trossard. Starting Moder and Gross was a big mistake, it needs to be March and Mwepu so they can get forward to support him so with Mwepu unavailable, I think we should have started Maupay today.

No problem with starting Moder in this system - he has got a goal or two in him - but Gross? No, big mistake - Mac A would have been better, and maybe bring on a wildcard like Sarmiento or Richards near the end.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We have Maupay. He has to play until the window opens

If Maupay is the answer, it shows the extent of out problems.
But yeah, he should have started today and should start next week.
Gross should be benched.

D

Deleted member 2719

What makes you say that???

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
On my way back from that shithole now.
That was not good enough, there’s zero urgency, same as v Newcastle. Villa were shit and there for the taking today.

I’m done with Gross, shit delivery ALL match, they broke on us twice from corners because his delivery was woeful.

In open play he slows us down to a walking pace.
Thanks for the memories but please go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here