Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bass player magazine - lifetime achievement award goes to

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
John Taylor

Might have surprised some who don’t ‘get’ how good a live band Duran Duran are and have remained so for the last 40 odd years .

JT isn’t just a pretty face he can play the f%%%%%g bass damn good !

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Well deserved for the bass on Rio alone.

An engaging JT breaks the song down, references other rhythm sections including Motown and explains syncopation.

And here's Rio with the bass isolated.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
John Taylor

Might have surprised some who don’t ‘get’ how good a live band Duran Duran are and have remained so for the last 40 odd years .

JT isn’t just a pretty face he can play the f%%%%%g bass damn good !

Personally there are few bands I've found more detestable than Duran flippin' Duran.... but then again I was not their target audience (teenage girls).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are these things awarded in order of merit, anyone know? If so, Peter Hook must already have one. Probably some frigged online voting thing tho eh?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly I find their singer unlistenably awful

Duran Duran were always considered the naffest of the naff of that shitty New Romantic eighties frothy worthless thing. Quite amazing how even the crappiest of bands only have to stick around for a couple of decades and they get an automatic upgrade from naff to non-naff for no real reason at all

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Undoubtedly a good musician but wasted in a band who had their 5 minutes of fame and their target audience would have had zero appreciation of his skills. " eeee ooh John here's my knickers, I love you and............what gauge do you like and flatwound or roundwound"?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Steve Harris
Cliff Burton
JJ Burnell
Mark King
Flea
Jaco Pastorius
Geddy Lee

All a bit better two of them sing at the same time!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Duran Duran were always considered the naffest of the naff of that shitty New Romantic eighties frothy worthless thing. Quite amazing how even the crappiest of bands only have to stick around for a couple of decades and they get an automatic upgrade from naff to non-naff for no real reason at all

:goal:

Brummie wallies that jumped on the New Wave/synth scene …. very, very late. A singer with serious sinus issues.

Back in the day only liked by teenage girls who fancied JT or Rhodes, if any blokes liked them, they kept it quiet.

40 years on, revered by a few middle aged football supporters. What’s changed? Can SLB actually sing now?

Simply the passage of time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Entwistle
Bernard Edwards
Hookie

Rolling Stones magazine said:

7EE3BBAA-EB19-4943-A0B5-FFBFFC19C0A1.png

[Must admit …. I have little knowledge of heavy metal or hard core blues/jazz].

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Since when did Bass players start getting awards for having more fingers than strings ? :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here