Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lawro reckons we are going backwards

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not surprisingly, lawro has us losing 2-0 tomorrow.

So go on us winning big time!

“ in that regard they have regressed a bit ( ..they have stopped taking opportunities now and not beating teams) to the way they were last season , when they did not score enough goals”

Can’t argue with that, but I can’t remember the last time he had us down for a win.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I read that and I'm not sure about it.

Unlike the big 4 or 5 teams, we don't have a world class performer who can paper over the cracks of a shit performance. Put Ronaldo or Salah in our team and one moment of brilliance would have seen us beat Newcastle and we'd be knocking on the door of the top 4 and the whole narrative would be completely different. Newcastle was a strange game:- there were periods where they couldn't lay a glove on us (probably half an hour) and yet it was our worst performance of the season. We won't be that crap again for a while, and I just don't see we've done that much different in our 6 game barren run to what we were doing before.

We could easily come away with a win tomorrow, and if we do we will once again be looking up. To think we are comfortably inside the top 10 despite not having won a game in all that time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I read that and I'm not sure about it.

Unlike the big 4 or 5 teams, we don't have a world class performer who can paper over the cracks of a shit performance. Put Ronaldo or Salah in our team and one moment of brilliance would have seen us beat Newcastle and we'd be knocking on the door of the top 4 and the whole narrative would be completely different. Newcastle was a strange game:- there were periods where they couldn't lay a glove on us (probably half an hour) and yet it was our worst performance of the season. We won't be that crap again for a while, and I just don't see we've done that much different in our 6 game barren run to what we were doing before.

We could easily come away with a win tomorrow, and if we do we will once again be looking up. To think we are comfortably inside the top 10 despite not having won a game in all that time.
Lose and we could be 13th.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
New Manager Bounce is an actual thing, whether us fans believe in it or not. The gormless benny players of New Manager ALWAYS believe in it. Sadly for us at Villa tomorrow :down:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is Trossard available ? I see Kevin De Bruyne has tested positive for COVID after Belgium duty

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think it's lazy punditry as ever. We've stayed pretty consistent since December really. Not scoring many goals, not shipping in too many. Playing like the games are already won and then realising we were only a single goal up. It's the same thing regularly, we're due a half of football where the boys look like they've never played the game before ala West Brom at home last season, among many other inept team performances. We've got a man in goal tomorrow who was a bag of nerves playing in the Championship for Sunderland so was rotated in and out of that team and then they wanted him off their books.

I honestly don't see many reasons to be positive for tomorrow. 4-0 win incoming?!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its Villa that have gone backwards, we have nothing to fear

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Last 12 games, apparently, for both clubs, only one win...

Edit.... 6 each...And that was them.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are going backwards.

ATM that's by virtue of the fact forward trajectory was unsustainable.

The team are a win or two away from getting back on the front foot.
Conversely they are a couple of bad loses away from undoing ALL the work at the start.

Basically we're in the pool, wearing our pjs, treading water.
We've made 1 unsuccessful attempt to save the brick from drowning, but at the moment we're still fine as is the brick.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
We have gone on another of our drawing sequences , similar to last season, apart from the City game we could have won all of them but we didn't but I think we were the better side against Arsenal , Norwich , Leicester (cup), Liverpool and Newcastle - which is better than last season.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So Lawro reckons a team which hasn't won a Premier League game in two months (to the day) has "stopped beating teams"?

There's not much gets past him...

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We are going backwards.

Conversely they are a couple of bad loses away from undoing ALL the work at the start.

We've made 1 unsuccessful attempt to save the brick from drowning, but at the moment we're still fine as is the brick.

You certainly are a creature of habit with a heart of gold and a metaphor to suit every occasion.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think it's lazy punditry as ever. We've stayed pretty consistent since December really. Not scoring many goals, not shipping in too many. Playing like the games are already won and then realising we were only a single goal up. It's the same thing regularly, we're due a half of football where the boys look like they've never played the game before ala West Brom at home last season, among many other inept team performances. We've got a man in goal tomorrow who was a bag of nerves playing in the Championship for Sunderland so was rotated in and out of that team and then they wanted him off their books.

I honestly don't see many reasons to be positive for tomorrow. 4-0 win incoming?!

Absoutely not. More like playing if a 1-0 victory is a certain 1-2 loss. The boys get very nervous when just 1-0 up and then not getting the 2-0. Something to work with. 1-0 up is a threat, 1-0 down an opportunity.
This season I struggle to think of any game except Newcastle where things looked better in first half then the second.

Re: Steele, yes it is a keeper that goes up and down in perfomances. He can make top, top class saves and blunders. Thats the reality of it. It wouldnt surprise me one bit if he turns out the hero tomorrow... or the opposite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We are going backwards.

Jesus wanted you for a sunbeam.

But then he thought.....

**** that :shrug:

:wink:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here