Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Austria To Make Covid Jabs Mandatory In European First

Jul 25, 2021
It will be interesting how they react to thousands of unvaccinated people gathering in large groups to protest during a time of skyrocketing cases.

A right mess from Austria and indeed much of Europe.

They have been mocking our high cases for months... but they can only dream of being in our position now.

Is this what's going on now? Countries competing with each other for the best looking covid stats, so they can patriotically laugh at each other?

This pandemic couldn't be anymore of a paradox now, especially during an era where it looks like every country is run, more or less, all by the same government now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They are going full nuke option

Fines and jail, if you do that are you really still a democracy?

If they really want to go that route maybe start at making covid related healthcare chargeable for unvaxed.

They've got a new Chancellor just taken office. Pretty soon to be an EX-Chancellor one would think :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:bowdown: to LBC/Eddie Mair between 4 and 5 this afternoon. Ditching the insular UK take on life.

With wall to wall calls from European correspondents, then ex-pats and continentals in Germany, Slovakia and Austria. Interesting to get the true low down.

The bottom line - huge anti-vax movements backed by some political parties and then an unbridled anger towards them from the majority who did the right thing. Now they're all suffering with packed hospitals and new restrictions on life.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They are going full nuke option

Fines and jail, if you do that are you really still a democracy?

If they really want to go that route maybe start at making covid related healthcare chargeable for unvaxed.

If you do that why stop at Covid?

Why not smokers, overweight etc.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If you do that why stop at Covid?

Why not smokers, overweight etc.

I guess the argument is you don't make someone else fat by being fat

Anyway, I'm not saying I'd agree with this. You'd just think they'd try something is bit less severe first.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I guess the argument is you don't make someone else fat by being fat

Anyway, I'm not saying I'd agree with this. You'd just think they'd try something is bit less severe first

Sorry, didn’t mean to suggest you did.

But if Austria are saying there is something to stop you getting ill and increasing pressure on the health service it’s the same with smokers and overweight people.

Where do you stop?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its a very dangerous path.

Also it is a result of their governments failure. The people dont trust them and dont like them so convincing people to eg vaccinate themselves is difficult. In countries with a lot of trust and confidence in the authorities you can reach up to 90% getting fully vaccinated. The "ok you are sensible I go do this" vs "I dont normally trust you and I wont trust you this either" matters a lot.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think people are confusing individual freedom with democracy which is a system of government. Governments create the rules to govern/tell individuals what they are allowed to do, lack of government leads anarchy with every one doing their own thing usually to the detriment of someone else.

UK civilian deaths in WW2 totalled 70k over 6 years so roughly half of the death rate from COVID in about 18months. During the war all sorts of measures were brought in to control people , telling people to have a jab would be pretty insignificant then.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
According to Austrian folk/commentators interviewed this weekend, not one person expects arms will be physically held down and the people injected against their will.

Instead, refusal will lead to restrictions on access to a whole load of things.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Um... you can't seriously be trying to make a comparison between WW2 and the Covid pandemic?

The comparison is about threat to human life and most people would say it was ok to have stringent rules in place to protect life in WW2 yet we seem to have a group of people who are unwilling to accept much less stringent rules for COVID which is a bigger threat to life.

Even with the 'reduced' impact we are experiencing a 1000 DEATHS a week.

If you are unhappy with WW2 then maybe a comparison to seat belt usage. Most people are happy to use seat belts now but some people were upset about that law being introduced and still refuse to use them. At best the estimates would indicate they sav 15000 lives a year.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The comparison is about threat to human life and most people would say it was ok to have stringent rules in place to protect life in WW2 yet we seem to have a group of people who are unwilling to accept much less stringent rules for COVID which is a bigger threat to life.

Even with the 'reduced' impact we are experiencing a 1000 DEATHS a week.

If you are unhappy with WW2 then maybe a comparison to seat belt usage. Most people are happy to use seat belts now but some people were upset about that law being introduced and still refuse to use them. At best the estimates would indicate they sav 15000 lives a year.

Those are worldwide estimates for seat belts, I presume? The highest peacetime number of road deaths in the UK was 7,985 in 1966,and that includes pedestrians and cyclists who wouldn't be affected. Have you a source?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Those are worldwide estimates for seat belts, I presume? The highest peacetime number of road deaths in the UK was 7,985 in 1966,and that includes pedestrians and cyclists who wouldn't be affected. Have you a source?

Just double checked it and realised I had clicked on a US site rather than a UK one so busted on that....

What I assumed they had done was extrapolate the figures using the extra number of cars , extra mileage and car power performance to increase the number of deaths and then adjusted it down by factoring in how much safer cars are now... The point being is people were forced to do this , it was unpopular and the numbers saved per year are relatively small compared to what is happening with COVID deaths.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Just double checked it and realised I had clicked on a US site rather than a UK one so busted on that....

What I assumed they had done was extrapolate the figures using the extra number of cars , extra mileage and car power performance to increase the number of deaths and then adjusted it down by factoring in how much safer cars are now... The point being is people were forced to do this , it was unpopular and the numbers saved per year are relatively small compared to what is happening with COVID deaths.

Sorry about that. I'm a stats geek, I can't see a wrong statistic without getting the irresistible urge to correct it.

I understand the point, without necessarily agreeing with it. Compulsory vaccination has happened before in this country (smallpox in the 1850's, I believe) but I don't think this disease is serious enough to warrant that at present. All government compulsion to do anything should be taken only after deep consideration. I am currently, but not irrevocably, on the side of no compulsory vaccination for covid.

I do agree that those who don't get vaccinated are fools. But fools have rights too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here