Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The name of a football ground new verses old.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
In today's game money is everything as it would seem as in naming rights but do you miss those old ground names whether league or non-league ? Such as Brechin City The Glebe. Accrington Stanley Peel Park. Do any stick out for you ? Darlington and Feethams and yes i have paid to walk through those twin towers for a fourth division game.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
In today's game money is everything as it would seem as in naming rights but do you miss those old ground names whether league or non-league ? Such as Brechin City The Glebe. Accrington Stanley Peel Park. Do any stick out for you ? Darlington and Feethams and yes i have paid to walk through those twin towers for a fourth division game.

Thanks for posting this, you just reminded me I have to move my car out of the Feethams 24hour car park.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I seem to be a bit of a kiss of death for stadiums - either after my visit they go out of the League (Haig Avenue, Edgar Street) or the ground gets closed and replaced - The Dell, Gay Meadow, the Boletn Ground, Eastville - and of course the Goldstone! Soon Goodison as well ..............

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Defunct stadia I have seen us play in:

Layer Road.
The Dell.
Gay Meadow.
Millmoor.
Underhill.
Sellhurst Park.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Berwick Rangers ground in the late 1980s was a bit spartan.

And The Shay at Halifax is the only ground I have been able to lounge on the grass, while watching the football from somewhere near the driving range (golf balls).

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Hold on,please like your personal choice. Spotland is a good call,Gigg Lane but for me Feethams

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can add Upton Park, The Vetch, Dean Court, Ninian Park, Ayresome Park and Roker Park.

Ah, Ninian. Home of the ninnies. I forgot that one. Me too :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Defunct stadia I have seen us play in:

Layer Road.
The Dell.
Gay Meadow.
Millmoor.
Underhill.
Sellhurst Park.

I'll add :-

Baseball
Highbury
White Hart Lane
Wembley
Vetchfield
Dean Court
Filbert St
Upton Pk/Boleyn Ground
Griffin Pk
The Den
The Manor Ground
Elm Park
Roker Pk
Ayresome Pk
Boothferry Pk
Burnden Pk

And of course The Goldstone.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The Goldstone Ground.

I honestly do miss the place. I know we are all in a far better place now, but that's where it all began....

Nobody can take away my memory of falling asleep while standing up in the east stand.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire

Baseball
Highbury
White Hart Lane
Wembley
Vetchfield
Dean Court
Filbert St
Upton Pk/Boleyn Ground
Griffin Pk
The Den
The Manor Ground
Elm Park
Roker Pk
Ayresome Pk
Boothferry Pk
Burnden Pk

I'll add:

Sealand Road
Highfield Road
Fellows Park
The Old Show Ground
Nene Park
County Ground (Northampton)
Belle Vue

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Berwick Rangers ground in the late 1980s was a bit spartan.

And The Shay at Halifax is the only ground I have been able to lounge on the grass, while watching the football from somewhere near the driving range (golf balls).
You used to be able to watch from the grass at Springfield Park, Wigan, as well. Or on one memorable wet day, from the mudslide that some of our enterprising fans made.

Though The Shay is still there, and I don't remember a driving range. Where was it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Baseball
Highbury
White Hart Lane
Wembley
Vetchfield
Dean Court
Filbert St
Upton Pk/Boleyn Ground
Griffin Pk
The Den
The Manor Ground
Elm Park
Roker Pk
Ayresome Pk
Boothferry Pk
Burnden Pk

Bugger. Yes, I've been to four of those.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You used to be able to watch from the grass at Springfield Park, Wigan, as well. Or on one memorable wet day, from the mudslide that some of our enterprising fans made.

Though The Shay is still there, and I don't remember a driving range. Where was it?
There was a shed at the top of one of the banks overlooking the pitch that advertised itself as a driving range, but I don't remember exactly where. Apparently it wasn't used during games.

It was a long time ago though, and the shed looked a bit derelict even then.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I'm pretty sure there was a bit of greenery on the East Terrace the last few years :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here