Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP David Lacey

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bit surprised not to see a mention of this.

David Lacey, chief football writer for The Guardian for many years has just died. He was a local lad, born in Lewes, and like many football journalists and broadcasters, an Albion fan - although I know there was some disappointment that during the war years, he wasn't firmly anti-Archer and didn't publicise the fans' initiatives enough.

Notwithstanding this, he was a fine writer and his reports were generally the first thing I'd turn to in the morning. He retired some years ago but still contributed an occasional piece.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I also have fond memories of Lacey's match reports and comment pieces. A fine writer. The Guardian are very good at developing journalists. Many will go to other titles and bigger rewards. Their model in this respect is not dissimilar to the one at the Albion.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Bit surprised not to see a mention of this.

David Lacey, chief football writer for The Guardian for many years has just died. He was a local lad, born in Lewes, and like many football journalists and broadcasters, an Albion fan - although I know there was some disappointment that during the war years, he wasn't firmly anti-Archer and didn't publicise the fans' initiatives enough.

Notwithstanding this, he was a fine writer and his reports were generally the first thing I'd turn to in the morning. He retired some years ago but still contributed an occasional piece.

Indeed. I was frustrated with his lack of campaign support in the late 90s, but he was a great sports writer.

And although he made disparaging remarks about the Goldstone at least twice in his columns, you can't really argue with this:

"The Goldstone Ground was a dump but it was a dump with passion."

RIP.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Football writing is actually pretty hard. Or at least pretty hard to do well. Journalists like David Lacey are a rare breed.

It's very tricky to avoid lapsing into cliches and generalisations, especially on a tight deadline. The Guardian has indeed developed some talent on its sports desk in recent years. I'm firmly of the belief that Barney Ronay is a minor genius and a worthy successor to the likes of David Lacey.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Football writing is actually pretty hard. Or at least pretty hard to do well. Journalists like David Lacey are a rare breed.

I liked David Lacey's writing a lot, you always felt a little bit enriched afterwards. Similarly, James Lawton when he was at the Independent, a bit like Barry Davies in print, classical references and not a word wasted.

As you say, Barney Ronay is tremendous. Jonathan Liew in the Guardian is my favourite though at the moment - a wise, well-read head on young shoulders.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
David Lacey's report on the closing seconds of the 1983 Cup Final, written for that Monday's Guardian has always stuck with me. From memory: "Due to the heavy pitch Robinson's pass rolled that fraction slower. Smith being an habitually careful player then allowed himself a touch and by that time Bailey advanced to block the ball which threatened to squirm behind him"

Great journalist of that time.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte

It's very tricky to avoid lapsing into cliches and generalisations, especially on a tight deadline. The Guardian has indeed developed some talent on its sports desk in recent years. I'm firmly of the belief that Barney Ronay is a minor genius and a worthy successor to the likes of David Lacey.

I enjoy reading Ronay too, although I think he has a tendency to overdo the whacky similes.

David Lacey is my all-time favourite football writer. Witty and erudite with a lovely, clean style. I remember he came up with a wonderful description of the disparate parts of the Albion team in his match report of the 1983 Cup semi-final, but sadly haven't been able to track it down I know one of the elements was "gunslingers', which was clearly a reference to Jimmy Case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here