Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Amazon to Stop Accepting UK Issued Visa Credit Cards from January

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
….. and accepting other types of credit card. All a bit of a pain in the arse. I always tend to buy stuff by credit card to get a bit of consumer protection. As they have a bit of a monopoly these days I hope that the powers that be can rein them in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in next weeks news, Visa and Amazon agree a new high volume fee schedule.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
….. and accepting other types of credit card. All a bit of a pain in the arse. I always tend to buy stuff by credit card to get a bit of consumer protection. As they have a bit of a monopoly these days I hope that the powers that be can rein them in.

tbf in case of Amazon, they are the consumer protection. have a problem and they'll refund or replace without question.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
in next weeks news, Visa and Amazon agree a new high volume fee schedule.

This is my first thought. Amazon holding Visa to ransom. Conversations I guess have happened but Visa didn't give enough (or any) ground on their fees so let's up the ante.

Typical Bezos. There's never enough money for me.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Amazon holding visa to ransom to make yet more profit, blaming brexit in the mean time. I really cant see them not agreeing a deal. They must do a hugely significant sum of their trade on Visa credit. This wont happen

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
tbf in case of Amazon, they are the consumer protection. have a problem and they'll refund or replace without question.

Agree. I've bought probably hundreds of things on Amazon and the half dozen I've had issues with have all been dealt with to my satisfaction (refund or replacement} with payment on a debit card.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Bit inconvenient, I tend to use my Visa credit card for most purchases each month then settle in full when billed, as previously pointed out, mainly for extra consumer protection. This protection must come at a cost hence Visa being a more expensive player in the credit card business. Hope they are able to reach some sort of compromise as I don't wish to use my debit card for online purchases.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bit inconvenient, I tend to use my Visa credit card for most purchases each month then settle in full when billed, as previously pointed out previously, mainly for extra consumer protection. This protection must come at a cost hence Visa being a more expensive player in the credit card business. Hope they are able to reach some sort of compromise as I don't wish to use my debit card for online purchases.

The Chargeback scheme probably covers you anyway (check with your card issuer to be sure)

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/chargeback-claims-how-to-get-your-money-back.htm

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Can't see Visa letting this in and a deal will be struck. As a previous poster has suggested it's Amazon flexing muscle.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amex will still be charging higher fees, they just won't have anything like the volume that Visa has....

That's a bit historic isn't it ? Amex acceptance has been increasing as the fee differential has all but disappeared (particularly in the US but becoming more widespread)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Mostly a blow to Barclaycard / HSBC issued as majority of Visa's UK portfolio is Debit.

Ref to Amex, they issue a co-brand card with Amazon so cannot see Amazon suppressing Amex cards.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Can't see Visa letting this in and a deal will be struck. As a previous poster has suggested it's Amazon flexing muscle.

I don't think so. I imagine the tech changes needed to reverse this decision can't be put back into place by 16th Jan even if Visa back down now.

I think for Amazon to have gone public in such a structured way, telling their customers and the press directly, they will have been negotiating for a good while and drawn a blank. I think this is a bigger strategic play to try and force all schemes to reduce fees when they next come to the negotiating table so they will have to go through with it at least for a year or so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here