Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby docked nine (more) points

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
ouch, that is not a nail in their coffin, that's a sledgehammer on the tombstone.

Surely Wayne will walk away now, horrible predicament for him, damned if he stays and probably pillared by the fans and press if he walks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ouch, that is not a nail in their coffin, that's a sledgehammer on the tombstone.

Surely Wayne will walk away now, horrible predicament for him, damned if he stays and probably pillared by the fans and press if he walks.

But a SHOE in for the Utd job after Ole.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
They're lucky it's all in one season. They are getting their just desserts and even if I were a Derby fan, I could accept it's deserved. For the club, not the fans.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's the right decision, but I won't celebrate it. We've had points deducted whilst near the bottom of the league in our past and I didn't much like it when it happened to us.

I wonder if Liam Rosenior will get his first management role as a result of this

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They're lucky it's all in one season. They are getting their just desserts and even if I were a Derby fan, I could accept it's deserved. For the club, not the fans.

Looking at Rams forums, there is still a healthy amount of Derby fans principally blaming the EFL and/or Covid-19 for this debacle. There seems to be little acknowledgment of them living beyond there means for a number of years dating back to when we were a Championship club. Morris tried to buy his way out of the Championship and ****ed it. This was documented extensively on NSC as they broke the bank for another Vydra or Lawrence. Smashing FFP rules was clearly an option if you look at the success of Bournemouth and Leicester but, they were gambling on getting promotion, Derby lost and then tried every trick in the book of creative accountancy to cheat.

The whataboutry by some Derby fans has got to this sort of level:

“The EFL are disgrace. They say that they want to protect the integrity of the league, but this has done the opposite. It means that we can pick and choose which games to put any effort into, as the chances of staying up are next to zero This means the integrity of the league is damaged, the thing they say they hold so dear.”

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

It would speak something to his character if he stuck through it. Yeah, it'd be a relegation on his sparse CV but in exceptional circumstances.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not really a fan of deciding league tables off the pitch but I realise that there's not a lot of other solutions.

It does damage the integrity of the competition however, with some teams playing a demotivated Derby twice while others had to face them when they had reasons to fight.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looking at Rams forums, there is still a healthy amount of Derby fans principally blaming the EFL and/or Covid-19 for this debacle. There seems to be little acknowledgment of them living beyond there means for a number of years dating back to when we were a Championship club. Morris tried to buy his way out of the Championship and ****ed it. This was documented extensively on NSC as they broke the bank for another Vydra or Lawrence. Smashing FFP rules was clearly an option if you look at the success of Bournemouth and Leicester but, they were gambling on getting promotion, Derby lost and then tried every trick in the book of creative accountancy to cheat.

“The EFL are disgrace. They say that they want to protect the integrity of the league, but this has done the opposite. It means that we can pick and choose which games to put any effort into, as the chances of staying up are next to zero This means the integrity of the league is damaged, the thing they say they hold so dear.”

Wow.

Add match fixing to financial irregularity then and give 'em another nine points.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not really a fan of deciding league tables off the pitch but I realise that there's not a lot of other solutions.

It does damage the integrity of the competition however, with some teams playing a demotivated Derby twice while others had to face them when they had reasons to fight.

See my reply to [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION]

Also, this happens every season in every division. Sometimes teams play better when they're mathematically relegated. Alternatively you will be able to make the same assumption for Norwich after about February unless they buy a whole new team in the January window.

Derby, let's remind ourselves, still hold the Premier League low points record. I wonder if anyone wrote bollocks like the above during the later half of that season?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
See my reply to [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION]

Also, this happens every season in every division. Sometimes teams play better when they're mathematically relegated. Alternatively you will be able to make the same assumption for Norwich after about February unless they buy a whole new team in the January window.

Derby, let's remind ourselves, still hold the Premier League low points record. I wonder if anyone wrote bollocks like the above during the later half of that season?

I think there is a substantial difference between falling behind due to bureaucratic decisions and performances on the pitch. Point deductions should happen at the beginning of a season, not in the middle of it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Deserved. Morris cheated with FFP, repeatedly. Then the Administration, when the huge overspend on players by the swerving of FFP caught up with them.

Although the fans ultimately see a relegation, they would’ve gleefully taken a bent promotion to the EPL, Morris wasn’t get slagged off when he created that squad.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I think there is a substantial difference between falling behind due to bureaucratic decisions and performances on the pitch. Point deductions should happen at the beginning of a season, not in the middle of it.

Ideally, I'd like to see Derby deducted points at the beginning, middle and end of every season.

Seriously though, while obviously it'd be ideal to apply the deduction before the start of the season, once that opportunity's gone there's going to be an obvious distortion whether you do it mid season or at the end.

theboybilly

I think the Leicester City FFP scenario was largely put straight (admittedly by a LCFC fan) in another thread. It wasn't at all how it looked at the time.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Never understood points deductions. Surely if you have done something bad enough for this, should just be relegated full stop.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
For Derby to stay up from here is, as you'd guess, pretty unlikely . Assuming 50points Champ safety threshold then that means they need a 65-71 point season to have any chance.
Currently they're on track for about 48-50 points with 3 wins and 9 draws from 17 games.
They'd have to step up to nearly 1.8 points a game to get close. Currently they're on 1.05 ppg.

Rumours that Rooney won't hang around if they drop to L1.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here