Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Do we need statute of limitations for historic allegations?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Stanley Johnson, father of Boris, now being accused of smacking a female MP's bottom at the 2003 Party Conference.

Funnily enough he has no recollection of the incident, but in mitigation he's in his 80's.

The same as this 'alleged' conversation at Yorkshire 12 years ago, which looks set to destroy Michael Vaughan's career and reputation.

How far back is far enough?

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Stanley Johnson, father of Boris, now being accused of smacking a female MP's bottom at the 2003 Party Conference.

Funnily enough he has no recollection of the incident, but in mitigation he's in his 80's.

The same as this 'alleged' conversation at Yorkshire 12 years ago, which looks set to destroy Michael Vaughan's career and reputation.

As long as it needs to. "It was a long time ago" is no defence.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Farther back than that, I'd suggest :shrug:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It can take victims years to pluck up the courage to come forward when abused, especially when the abuser has power. To decide that racism, sexual harassment or any other crime shouldn’t matter because it took the victim a decade to pluck up the courage to open up seems pretty abhorrent to me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bear Pit in 4 pages.

Unlikely. I suspect that Harty won't have Das Reich and FG queuing up with their gormless whataboutery on this thread. I suspect most posters will have similar views. We had all that 'whatabout Cecil Rhodes' stuff on another thread. What about Henty VIII? We can hardly criticise Jimmy Savile if we don't burn Henry VIII. No, sorry, nobody thinks that. :shrug:

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Probably has no recollection of the other alleged incident in 2019 then....

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
its bad enough haveing a statue of michael jackson at fulham and ronaldo at that airport so why do we need one of Boris johnsons dad to?

Regards

DF

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Historians regularly make new allegations about people who lived 100, 500 or 2000 years ago. Archaeologists and anthropologists go back tens and hundreds of thousands of years. So I think that 10 years is relatively small-fry

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

#TheGhostOfJimmySavileLikesThis

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting that this is a " Blue on Blue " allegation....I'm also a bit surprised the recipient has sat on the evidence for so long.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Years ago is no defence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yorkshire cricket club being defenestrated in parliament at the moment.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Statute of limitations exist in most countries and is pretty good as you clear up a lot of crimes that wouldnt be solved otherwise, saving resources and giving people answers.

But it is obviously impossible to put a time limit on allegations as it would either require to make them illegal (which would be bad idea for plenty of reasons) or some kind of broad societal agreement that we dont bring up things that happened in the past... which is very unlikely to happen.

As long as it needs to. "It was a long time ago" is no defence.

It is a decent defence since most people change + it can be difficult to recollect exactly what happened some 20 years ago.

I might have slapped a bum 20 years ago - no ****ing idea.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Don't beat around the bush. Just tell us what you said/did and when you said/did it and we will run a poll to decide.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
its bad enough haveing a statue of michael jackson at fulham and ronaldo at that airport so why do we need one of Boris johnsons dad to?

Regards

DF

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

You can tell by the capital letters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here