Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Porridge

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
No, not Norman Stanley Fletcher.

We've started eating porridge again and I'm wondering how others make theirs.

We use a mug of Flavahan's jumbo oats, a mug of water and one of semiskinned milk (sometimes Oatly).
Soak overnight.
Bring to bubble while stirring.
Adorn with yoghurt, banana, chia seeds (we are in Fiveways) and maybe honey, or as an alternative, some warmed summer fruit mix from the freezer section of the supermarket.
Scoff.

Anyone do salt?

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Jumbo oats, grated apple, cinnamon, sultanas, salt, honey and water.
or
Jumbo oats, chopped banana, coconut milk carton not tinned topped with toasted coconut
or
oats, berries and yogurt with seeds and toasted nuts

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, not Norman Stanley Fletcher.

We've started eating porridge again and I'm wondering how others make theirs.

We use a mug of Flavahan's jumbo oats, a mug of water and one of semiskinned milk (sometimes Oatly).
Soak overnight.
Bring to bubble while stirring.
Adorn with yoghurt, banana, chia seeds (we are in Fiveways) and maybe honey, or as an alternative, some warmed summer fruit mix from the freezer section of the supermarket.
Scoff.

Anyone do salt?

Why bother soaking it overnight? Sheer posturing - and totally unnecessary. Microwave it - it works fine. Salt is optional - yes for me; alternative answers to 'yes' are acceptable if that's how you prefer it.
At the end of the day, oats is oats. A bag of oats from Asda or Sainsbury's is just the same - and just as good - as whatever designer oats you're paying twice the price for.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Maybe sacrilegious but I just have Quaker oats soaked in cold milk, not heated or microwaved.

Oats are supposed to be very good for your cholesterol levels.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Quaker oats, half milk half water, no soaking, bring to the boil, add sugar. Or prunes and syrup, if you're my mother. And blueberries if available.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Maybe sacrilegious but I just have Quaker oats soaked in cold milk, not heated or microwaved.

If you are sacrilegious then so am I except I use supermarket brand oats.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Overnight oats in the fridge for me- using alpro coconut almond - some protein powder and cacao nibs. Top with blueberries & banana

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Why bother soakig it overnight? Sheer posturing - and totally unnecessary. Microwave it - it works fine. Salt is optional - yes for me; alternative answers to 'yes' are acceptable if that's how you prefer it.
At the end of the day, oats is oats. A bag of oats from Asda or Sainsbury's is just the same - and just as good - as whatever designer oats you're paying twice the price for.

Pop that middle class pretentious bubble why don't you :lolol:

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Why bother soaking it overnight? Sheer posturing - and totally unnecessary. Microwave it - it works fine. Salt is optional - yes for me; alternative answers to 'yes' are acceptable if that's how you prefer it.

Get that right up ya

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Snip top off sachet and add oats to square breakfast bowl, pour semi skimmed milk to red line on sachet then tip on to oats. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir gently for 1 minute then enjoy. Odd thread, can't the OP read the packet?

Oh hang on. You mean the bit where I customise with a spoonful of Cartwright and Butler Lemon Curd. Delicious!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Need more texture in the porridge than I’ve seen above. Mix equiproportionally (jumbo) oats, millet and amaranth, overnight if you choose, add a bit of cinnamon and vanilla extract and a pinch of nutmeg and use the milk of choice, i use oat milk but others available such as almond or rice milk. Grab your spurtle or spoon and stir clockwise. Then add toppings such as blueberries, although today I'm on the strawberries and bananas.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
I use the big oats/jumbo oats or whatever they are called.

Add water, microwave for 2 minutes. Add honey. That does the trick.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OMG - I thought this was going to be a thread about all the hubbub surrounding the controversy of this year's Golden Spurtle.

I was all set for the thread the other day, but knew it would trigger my fanclub and I just couldn't be bothered with the pointless miserable old tosspots.

But as the thread is here it seems rude not to bring this to the masses, even though this is an Albion forum exclusively for the discussion of all things Brighton and Hove Albion.

World Porridge Making Championship: Savoury Italian dish with white wine and mushrooms wins annual prize

https://news.sky.com/story/world-po...wine-and-mushrooms-wins-annual-prize-12430286

skynews-miriam-groot-porridge_5541283.png

2021 Golden Spurtle winner Miriam Groot.
World Porridge Making Championship

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Jumbo oats are definitely tastiest. I go 75/25 milk/water and slowly cook (occasionally stirring) on the hob for about 8-10 mins. Heating too fast affects the taste of the milk and makes it sickly sweet. Maple syrup and blueberries are my topping of choice.

I’ve been eating porridge most mornings since way before it came cool and it was just a thing for the sweaties.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
1 part oats
1 part milk
1.5 parts water
Salt

Stir the entire time while cooking. Leave to stand for 10 minutes then reheat for added thickness. Popular toppings are:

Black and red fruits
Apple and cinnamon
Brown sugar
Maple syrup and banana

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Jumbo oats here - water - microwave.
Low calorie sweetener, banana, supermarket (Aldi) frozen fruit and Greek yogurt.

We sometimes do overnight oats instead.

Much though I like all the constituents of a “full English”, I just couldn’t face it first thing in the morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here