Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rip bertie auld

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
One of the Lisbon Lions, a team with that amazing home grown stat, European Cup winners with 10 of the starting 11 born within 5 miles of the Celtic stadium, surely something that will never be surpassed in European Cup football?

RIP.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One of the Lisbon Lions, a team with that amazing home grown stat, European Cup winners with 10 of the starting 11 born within 5 miles of the Celtic stadium, surely something that will never be surpassed in European Cup football?

RIP.

All but 2 of the 15 man squad were born within 10 miles of Celtic Park. The two 'outsiders' were Tommy Gemell (Motherwell: 11 miles), and Bobby Lennox (Saltcoats: 30 miles). Yes, it'll probably never be repeated in this era of multi-national club sides.

I remember the game, we all were supporting Celtic, same as we supported Man U the following season. Can't be many of that Celtic side left now. :(

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They were a brilliant team - even better in 1970. The two-legged European Cup semi final against Leeds was shown live on (free to view!) TV, and I still rate the Celtic performance in those games about the best I've ever seen. The scores suggest it was tight - but they absolutely destroyed Leeds, just over-ran them. Was amazed when they lost the final.

Anyway, RIP Bertie Auld, a fine player in a brilliant team.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember the game, we all were supporting Celtic, same as we supported Man U the following season. Can't be many of that Celtic side left now. :(

Four still with us: Craig, Clark, Wallace and Lennox.

That was some team - some decent players but the sum was far greater than the parts

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

RIP.

I doubt it will be repeated in any level of football, even at non league level each teams players seem to come from far and wide.

At Horsham YMCA we have a large contingent who live and work in South London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here