Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Notts County v Solihull Moors

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
With ticket prices reduced, Notts County broke the national league attendance yesterday with 12843. Three clubs in the national league also had 5k plus crowds too. Impressive stuff for 5th tier football.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I remember back in 1967 when Notts County Reserves played our Reserves at The Goldstone and the attendence was over 18,000. There was an incentive. You paid the entrance fee and bought a Chelsea FA Cup ticket at the same time.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Bizarrely, having dropped out of the football league following the most wretched of seasons last year, our home crowds have been the highest they’ve been since the late 90s in the second tier. Accounting for the fact that visiting sides in those days typically brought more than one man and his dog, they’re probably our biggest consistent home crowds of the post-Taylor report era.

There are a few reasons for that, such as the exit of our universally disliked former owner (who sealed his own fate after it came to light that he and his stooge Ian Holloway were getting into bed with a serially convicted fraudster as part of some shady financial arrangement), being allowed back into grounds for the first time in nearly 18 months and the fact that up until the four straight defeats we’ve just endured, we were going well and had reached the top of the league.

There are some big clubs down here though now, and even some of the lesser lights are very well backed financially. It’s going to be a very, very difficult to get back out of. Again.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bizarrely, having dropped out of the football league following the most wretched of seasons last year, our home crowds have been the highest they’ve been since the late 90s in the second tier. Accounting for the fact that visiting sides in those days typically brought more than one man and his dog, they’re probably our biggest consistent home crowds of the post-Taylor report era.

There are a few reasons for that, such as the exit of our universally disliked former owner (who sealed his own fate after it came to light that he and his stooge Ian Holloway were getting into bed with a serially convicted fraudster as part of some shady financial arrangement), being allowed back into grounds for the first time in nearly 18 months and the fact that up until the four straight defeats we’ve just endured, we were going well and had reached the top of the league.

There are some big clubs down here though now, and even some of the lesser lights are very well backed financially. It’s going to be a very, very difficult to get back out of. Again.

Good luck for the future, however I’m sorry I’m still not over the play off defeat, that seemed to start the rot for us.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The National League really is League Division 5 now. 10 teams in that league that were the backbone of "the 92" I recognise.

el punal

I remember back in 1967 when Notts County Reserves played our Reserves at The Goldstone and the attendence was over 18,000. There was an incentive. You paid the entrance fee and bought a Chelsea FA Cup ticket at the same time.

I went to that game and got my Chelsea ticket and watched the reserves play. I believe the “attendance” was 22,000* and something as most fans buggered off when they snaffled their cup ticket, and we talk about pretendance at the Amex! *(22,256!)

I’m sure there was a degree of illegality in what the club did that day - making fans pay twice so to speak. :wrong:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

I seem to recall a similar situation in September 1976 when we played Charlton in the midweek league, with the Derby County league cup tickets on sale as you entered.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I went to that game and got my Chelsea ticket and watched the reserves play. I believe the “attendance” was 22,000* and something as most fans buggered off when they snaffled their cup ticket, and we talk about pretendance at the Amex! *(22,256!)

I’m sure there was a degree of illegality in what the club did that day - making fans pay twice so to speak. :wrong:
I was ten years old at the time. That Saturday morning, my Junior School team I played right-back for (Rudyard Kipling), had just thumped St. John the Baptist 6-2 at Wild Park. My uncle who used to come and watch me play, zoomed us off to the Goldstone in his Austin A40 straight after the match had finished. After quite a wait in a very long queue outside of the South Stand we got in and secured our Cup tickets. My uncle buggered off, but I stayed to watch the game!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I was there, 13 years old, excited as anything, with my lovely Dad. Thanks for that memory 👍👍.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Is it me or am I confused by a poster on an Albion site with approaching 2000 posts from Leeds who is actually a GTFC fan posting in a NCFC thread?

:rolleyes::ffsparr:

Ok, you make a fair point. Apologies - I should have been more explicit in my post. The young man in my avatar is James Tilley, recently of Brighton’s academy, formerly of Grimsby (having been signed by Ian Holloway who is substantially less popular in north east Lincolnshire than he is in Brighton & Hove, even after poo-gate) and now back down south at Crawley.

I’ve explained this a few times before but I’ll do so again. I popped on here a decade or so ago as I was inquisitive as to how ‘struggling’ League One Brighton, playing at a bastardised athletics ground, were managing to fund a stadium as amazing as the Amex. We’d been attempting a move away from Blundell Park for nearly 30 years, but had never been able to make it work.

Anyway, I quickly learned about the good work of Tony Bloom and his compatriots, and in complete contrast the shysters Archer and Bellotti, but stuck around as I found NSC to be just a fantastic forum for debate on life and football, beyond BHAFC.

I’m currently sat in a house that I wouldn’t own had it not been for the amazing work of NSC’s [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION], at a time his industry was on its knees in the Spring of 2020.

Anyway, I’m not one for second teams but thanks to NSC I do look out for your results. I followed the Vicente thread back in 2011 with great intrigue. I find your ascendancy from unfashionable lower league fodder to aspirational top flight challengers in a magnificent stadium inspirational, and that’s something to hang on to for a supporter of a now beleaguered, now second-time non-league club.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ok, you make a fair point. Apologies - I should have been more explicit in my post. The young man in my avatar is James Tilley, recently of Brighton’s academy, formerly of Grimsby (having been signed by Ian Holloway who is substantially less popular in north east Lincolnshire than he is in Brighton & Hove, even after poo-gate) and now back down south at Crawley.

I’ve explained this a few times before but I’ll do so again. I popped on here a decade or so ago as I was inquisitive as to how ‘struggling’ League One Brighton, playing at a bastardised athletics ground, were managing to fund a stadium as amazing as the Amex. We’d been attempting a move away from Blundell Park for nearly 30 years, but had never been able to make it work.

Anyway, I quickly learned about the good work of Tony Bloom and his compatriots, and in complete contrast the shysters Archer and Bellotti, but stuck around as I found NSC to be just a fantastic forum for debate on life and football, beyond BHAFC.

I’m currently sat in a house that I wouldn’t own had it not been for the amazing work of NSC’s [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION], at a time his industry was on its knees in the Spring of 2020.

Anyway, I’m not one for second teams but thanks to NSC I do look out for your results. I followed the Vicente thread back in 2011 with great intrigue. I find your ascendancy from unfashionable lower league fodder to aspirational top flight challengers in a magnificent stadium inspirational, and that’s something to hang on to for a supporter of a now beleaguered, now second-time non-league club.

I must confess [MENTION=17745]Poojah[/MENTION], from time to time I have also found myself wondering how a Grimsby Town supporter ended up being a regular on NSC, but I never asked. I'm glad you found NSC all those years ago - and I'm glad you stuck around as I always enjoy reading your posts.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Yes but you relegated us in 2003 when you were already down, sorry, not over it ...

But seriously, how good is that :thumbsup:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Saw Adam El-Abd make his debut for the Albion Vs Notts County - when we were both in the same division [league 1 I think]

Fair to say the direction since for each club has been stark in contrast

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I always enjoy your posts on here, I think you’re a fantastic communicator.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Yes but you relegated us in 2003 when you were already down, sorry, not over it ...

grimsby-towns-michael-keane-points-the-way-down-for-brighton-hove-picture-id680960192.jpeg

:lolol:

(For what it’s worth I thought he was an absolute nob for doing this at the time, and you’ve fared a bit better than us since)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here