Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Vegans/Veggies

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I have been looking at a few restaurant menus online tonight and i am staggered how much they charge. Surely vegan/veggie meals should be a lot cheaper than there meat equivalent.

Burgers

Spiced butternut squash & quinoa patty £8.50

All our Beef patties are 6oz and made with 100% aged grass-fed British steak and absolutely no additives! £6.95

Pizza

Field, shiitake, chestnut and oyster mushrooms topped with garlic, Parmesan, thyme and truffle oil £12

Pepperoni, chorizo, red onions and fresh and dried chillies £12

Are you being ripped off??

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have been looking at a few restaurant menus online tonight and i am staggered how much they charge. Surely vegan/veggie meals should be a lot cheaper than there meat equivalent.

Burgers

All our Beef patties are 6oz and made with 100% aged grass-fed British steak and absolutely no additives! £6.95

Pizza

Field, shiitake, chestnut and oyster mushrooms topped with garlic, Parmesan, thyme and truffle oil £12

We always find this useful.

https://www.happycow.net/

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Burgers

Pizza

They - https://theburgershopco.uk presumably - might be buying that veggie burger in: https://www.brake.co.uk/meal-soluti...piced-butternut-squash-quinoa-burger/p/122509

Regardless, only a small

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Why would it be a happy cow? It's been put out of a job! ???

The veggie burger is made with a long list of ingredients and fancy stuff. The meat one is just a burger. Always remember, the longer the food description (minus the padding), the higher the price.

Point i am making is the ingredients and cook time is a lot less costly than the meat version.

Eating out for vegans is a rip off imo.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
The cost of premises and manpower will be no different. Ingredients are the least of the cost. So no, "we" aren't being ripped off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Doubt the full Brakes brochure price is even paid, its a competitive market. Brakes sales reps will offer hefty discounts on the top whack brochure price to secure the account.
There is a " Spanish " tapas place I go past near my works which has a beautifully written menu describing " Chefs Selection..." " Hand made... " etc etc. Always laugh when I see the chilled meals van unloading around the back early morning.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
It depends on what ingredients are going into the dish (truffles are expensive, for example) , but I would broadly agree that veggies and vegans get an unfair deal.
One consolation is that there is a lot more options than there ever used to be, and even the smaller places will have a couple of dishes on their menu.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Point i am making is the ingredients and cook time is a lot less costly than the meat version.

Eating out for vegans is a rip off imo.

You have to factor in the time it takes to make the food and don’t forget costs of meat vary a lot . For example most cuts of lamb are quite expensive whilst most cuts of pig are far cheaper .

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I guess it's still quite niche which brings with it a higher cost

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
also in a restaurant that isn't a specific veggie/vegan restaurant there seems to be a temptation to go "overly fancy" with the ve/vg options

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Why would it be a happy cow? It's been put out of a job! ???

Call me crazy, but if my “job” was to be brutally killed because I “tasted good” (assuming that’s the angle you’re going for), I’d be pretty happy to be put out of said job. That’s just me though :shrug:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I’ve been vegetarian for nearly 40 years and my main gripe isn’t price it’s the fact that every restaurant assumes veggies like mushrooms. I can’t stand them which limits my options most of the time.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I wonder if there's an added 'cost' in terms of storage/food prep etc to make sure the V/VG options are kept separate and not contaminated by meat.

Which reminds me ... on a short break to Budapest a few years back, Mrs HS ordered char grilled peppers and onions (might have been a few other veg bits) for lunch. She enjoyed it so much she mentioned it to the waiter when he took the plates away. He then disclosed chef's secret to getting all that flavour ... he grilled them in the same place as the meat so it' "picks up all the lovely juices"!

Neither Mrs HS or myself are vegetarian - although we have reduced our meat consumption by quite a bit. But if she had been and then found out she'd been eating meat juices ... :eek::eek::eek:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’ve been vegetarian for nearly 40 years and my main gripe isn’t price it’s the fact that every restaurant assumes veggies like mushrooms. I can’t stand them which limits my options most of the time.
I know a vegetarian who does not like vegetables... Lives off pasta dishes and cheese / veggie sandwiches.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been a veggie for over 30 years now, and also have no fundamental issue with the prices I pay when eating out, as most of the underlying cost has little to do with the raw ingredients that make up a dish.

I imagine [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] could give us an idea about how the pricing of menu items works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here