Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurants - what's the current real-world experience?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's a loooong time since I've been in a pub or restaurant, so I've no idea what it's like these days. What are the current regulations regarding stuff like Covid passes, registering contact details, staff and customers wearing masks, etc?

One of my football group wants to organise a Christmas meal, with partners, so possibly 20-25 people. (Yes, it may already be too late to book...)

Accepting that there's a risk in everything we do, I'm more concerned about whether it will be a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere. The idea of checking in, spaced tables, and being served by someone wearing a mask or visor doesn't really appeal.

What's your recent experience like?

Thanks.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
It now seems fairly relaxed, been out this week in London, very busy some staff wearing masks but none of the customers.

Then out in Truro last night, tables spaced out a bit more, not as busy but no checks etc, felt very normal and relaxing.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It now seems fairly relaxed, been out this week in London, very busy some staff wearing masks but none of the customers.

Then out in Truro last night, tables spaced out a bit more, not as busy but no checks etc, felt very normal and relaxing.

Great. Where did you find in Truro?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Down here pretty much every restaurant is completely back to as they were in pre-covid times, albeit with the odd legacy Perspex screen and hand sanitizer remaining in place, we’ve had some thoroughly pleasant meals since they re-opened.

The only noticeable change is just how many restaurants are now automatically adding a 12.5% service charge to the bill.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Very much back to normal booked a table for 10 at the Hare and Hound in Cowfold in December. No additional requirements citied

I’ve heard good things about this place and looking forward for it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been out a fair amount in the last few weeks including locally and in London.......most places seem pretty much back to normal. Some evidence of staff wearing masks but now a minority, checking in for T&T done away with and never been asked for a vaccine certificate. One place we went to in Burgess Hill had the tables packed in much tighter than they were pre-covid....imagine it might have put a few people off TBH - properly cramped (food was great though)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a loooong time since I've been in a pub or restaurant, so I've no idea what it's like these days. What are the current regulations regarding stuff like Covid passes, registering contact details, staff and customers wearing masks, etc?

One of my football group wants to organise a Christmas meal, with partners, so possibly 20-25 people. (Yes, it may already be too late to book...)

Accepting that there's a risk in everything we do, I'm more concerned about whether it will be a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere. The idea of checking in, spaced tables, and being served by someone wearing a mask or visor doesn't really appeal.

What's your recent experience like?

Thanks.

Out and about in B&H there's clearly this head-mental mass delusion that covid never happened. Everyone's a super hero. Everyone's a Captain Kirk. Especially at the Amex, biggest potential super-spreader venue in the county by a country mile. And, oh look, The Swan at Falmer just got closed down due to covid, with a timeline that may or may not lead back to the Newcastle game.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?391299-The-Swan-at-Falmer-closed-by-Covid

Do you feel lucky punk? ???

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Out and about in B&H there's clearly this head-mental mass delusion that covid never happened. Everyone's a super hero. Everyone's a Captain Kirk. Especially at the Amex, biggest potential super-spreader venue in the county by a country mile. And, oh look, The Swan at Falmer just got closed down due to covid.

Except that it isn't right is it?-

The Swann may be closed but that is aslikley to be because an infection picked up away from there as from there. or the football

The Amex has had a few capacity matches, and no spike, B and H isnt any higher risk than the rest of the county or country, people are indeed starting to return to normal-al least approaching it, and thats a good thing Do you want us all to stay locked away forever? B and H, is like everywhere else, learning to live with the virus, and that does involve people being more at risk than before, but cases arn't increasing, in most places falling quite quickly.

So, yes I feel lucky, by taking personal responsibility for myself, and being mindful of others

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Except that it isn't right is it?-

The Swann may be closed but that is aslikley to be because an infection picked up away from there as from there. or the football

The Amex has had a few capacity matches, and no spike, B and H isnt any higher risk than the rest of the county or country, people are indeed starting to return to normal-al least approaching it, and thats a good thing Do you want us all to stay locked away forever? B and H, is like everywhere else, learning to live with the virus, and that does involve people being more at risk than before, but cases arn't increasing, in most places falling quite quickly.

So, yes I feel lucky, by taking personal responsibility for myself, and being mindful of others

So I assume you wear a mask on the Amex concourse and on the train/bus then? Let me guess...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Out and about in B&H there's clearly this head-mental mass delusion that covid never happened. Everyone's a super hero. Everyone's a Captain Kirk. Especially at the Amex, biggest potential super-spreader venue in the county by a country mile. And, oh look, The Swan at Falmer just got closed down due to covid, with a timeline that may or may not lead back to the Newcastle game.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?391299-The-Swan-at-Falmer-closed-by-Covid

I've been to The Swan twice this season before games. They absolutely insist on masks in both the pub and barn when queuing, unlike The Amex, clean thoroughly and most people are outside. If you wanted to pick a venue that was the opposite of "Super Hero" it's there. And yet......

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

It's okay, we're old blokes and probably haven't got long to live anyway.

Are there no rules or regulations in force these days? Just hoping for a "normal" vibe.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's okay, we're old blokes and probably haven't got long to live anyway.

Are there no rules or regulations in force these days? Just hoping for a "normal" vibe.

Literally there are NO rules and regulations. If you're lucky there might be the odd hand sanitiser squirty thing in the general vicinity of the bogs, but other than that you'd be hard-pressed to find any evidence of an ongoing global pandemic :shrug:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So I assume you wear a mask on the Amex concourse and on the train/bus then? Let me guess...

well i cycle to the ground, so no need there, but yes while in the queue to get in, and getting to my seat, i have a mask on, as do other people. Not sure what(if any) your point is?

And in reply to the OP, the restaurants I have been in, and seen the staff are all in masks, but the customers aren't

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
well i cycle to the ground, so no need there, but yes while in the queue to get in, and getting to my seat, i have a mask on, as do other people. Not sure what(if any) your point is?

Bully for you then. My point is that 'other people' accounts for probably far less than 5% of those attending a game at the Amex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Literally there are NO rules and regulations. If you're lucky there might be the odd hand sanitiser squirty thing in the general vicinity of the bogs, but other than that you'd be hard-pressed to find any evidence of an ongoing global pandemic :shrug:

I wear a mask in confined indoor spaces whether mandatory or not
I carry my own hand sanitizer
I wear one where it’s required (planes for example)
I don’t linger on the Amex concourse - I stay outside for longer, then go in, buy a cuppa and go to my seat
Been abroad three times in the last 6 weeks, probably eaten out 25 times, sometimes in larger groups

Don’t really need rules, just need not to be an irresponsible tit really.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Bully for you then. My point is that 'other people' accounts for probably far less than 5% of those attending a game at the Amex

but has been demonstrably proved, The Amex simply isn't the"super spreader" which your post certainly alluded to , and also linked it to the Swan closing, which afaik hasnt been suggested-or are u in the know on the exact cause of the closure?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We’re still following Government guidelines, which, believe or not, is that masks and social distancing should still be encouraged in enclosed spaces.
However, although we have 5 sanitiser bottles in the cafe,and notices up asking customers to wear masks while moving around, only about 50% of people take any notice or use the sanitiser.

I insist my staff all wear masks while front of house,to protect our customers.
We have had the odd ******** who will make a big thing out of not wearing a mask, and saying staff shouldn’t wear one, but, they have been politely asked to leave. Fair enough, if you are too selfish to wear one, just don’t give mask wearers grief.

122 deaths today.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Went to Pitch in Worthing last night, first restaurant visit since the first lockdown.

Some staff and customers wearing masks, some not.
Sanitise Stations on entrance and outside the toilets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here