Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Ron Flowers

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, I think that him and Billy Wright were the first footballers I knew of when I was a nipper. Pretty sure he was one of the captains with Jim Armfield who preceded Bobby Moore. A great player in his day and I’m sure that Wolves fans will be gutted by this news. RIP to another who left a legacy to the game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember him playing for Northampton at the Goldstone around 68/69. They won 2-0 and he was immense.

As an aside his sister in law (Maureen Flowers) was World darts champion.

Edit: it was September 1967. I was 6 but still remember him.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've said it before and I'll scream it out loud again.
The remaining 'team of 66' should be doing a round of every club in the country and given a guard of honour by the two teams playing that day.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I remember him playing for Northampton at the Goldstone around 68/69. They won 2-0 and he was immense.

As an aside his sister in law (Maureen Flowers) was World darts champion.

Edit: it was September 1967. I was 6 but still remember him.

I remember that match too - as a youngster, my Dad telling me what a legend he was.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember that match too - as a youngster, my Dad telling me what a legend he was.

Exactly what my dad told me that day. ��

Cripes….. only 6 replies on this thread. God we’re old lads.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I think that him and Billy Wright were the first footballers I knew of when I was a nipper. Pretty sure he was one of the captains with Jim Armfield who preceded Bobby Moore. A great player in his day and I’m sure that Wolves fans will be gutted by this news. RIP to another who left a legacy to the game.
He was one thhird of Wolves title winning half back line (yes, they has three half backs in those days!) Flowers, Billy Wright and Bill Slater. I think they all captained Wolves in turn following retirements/transfers. They managed over 1200 games for Wolves between them anyway; different times.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was there with my Dad. Ron Flowers appeared to be twice the size of the players around him that day.

I remember that but I don’t think he was actually that big……. Off to Google

Right back again with answer 5ft 11in

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've said it before and I'll scream it out loud again.
The remaining 'team of 66' should be doing a round of every club in the country and given a guard of honour by the two teams playing that day.

Nice idea but not sure how practical it is.

There are just six left alive now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here