Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite journey

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on folks it's international break and there's a complete lack of 'look at me' freds.

So which journey instantly comes to mind when asked 'what was your favourite?'

I'm expecting a few (liars) to say 'going to see my grandchildren' - we all know that's bollox.
Naturally this thread will soon be filled with 'the canoe ride out to my island just off Fuji', it's what we do.

I have 3 that instantly spring to mind, in descending order of lookatmeness:-

A standard bus in Barbados which happened to be painted camo and pumping out hardcore bass at 10am.

After a long walk across the top of cliffs in Portugal, we had no way to return, so flagged down a little fishing boat who took us back along the spectacular coastal cliff face.

Bike hire in Carcassonne, up and down the Canal du Midi, such a lovely day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The drive across Kent and Sussex from Faversham to the Amex. A bespoke route that has evolved over ten years. Absolutely love it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Good timing for this subject, as nine years ago this very morning, we docked in The British Virgin Islands after 5 days at sea crossing the Atlantic onboard P&O's Ventura. That was a pretty good journey, loved every minute of it. :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The final few miles of a drive to a French ski resort we visited 11 times when our kids were younger, Puy St Vincent. Driving up the hairpins, the resort buildings and guaranteed snowy peaks come into view ….. making a very excited family.

[I could also say the same about a load of other mountains and ski villages …. but how long have we got? :)].

The Cuckmere Valley, either the drive in from Seaford or East Dean, when the amazing river meanders and oxe-bow lakes become visible.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Trip to Kenya and Nairobi to do Kilimanjaro with a couple of mates but a journey within that time. We hired a little 4x4 and got a local Maasai working at the camp to guide us rather than do an expensive safari. We saw everything the expensive safari goers saw and we could get out and walk around too. Amazing.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
For me it's the drive along the A280 from Findon towards Clapham.
(edit: Yes, Long Furlong)

Beautiful views of the Downs going down into the bowl, and it means I'm nearly 'home' in Angmering,

(Also, the run along the Cami de Cavalls in Menorca from Son Bou to towards Cala'n'Porter. Up , and then down and back up, into a Gorge with a little beach, scattering mountain goats, then running through fields of Olive Trees, before reaching the farmland just outside Cala'n' Porter)

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Three instant look at me journeys from many are:

The 2 week trek up to Everest Base Camp that I've done 3 times.
The 2000 mile cycle trip Vancouver to LA that I feel too old to be able to do again.
The Torres Del Paine walk in Chile.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'The Lighthouse Walk' in Byron Bay, Oz. Up through lush rainforest to the Cape Byron lighthouse. Brush turkeys scrubbing about, the odd exciting encounter with a wallaby, goanna or brown snake. From the top, great for spotting the seasonal whale migration, schools of dolphins or the occasional dark ominous outline of a shark. Then down the other side for a swim on one of the glorious beaches, followed by a barefoot walk along the shoreline to the Beach Hotel for a frosty schooner or two. Can't wait to do it again, hopefully next year

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Beautiful views of the Downs going down into the bowl, and it means I'm nearly 'home' in Angmering,
Long Furlong? If so I use to love that drive when I lived in that area.

I love walking into Brighton through the North Laine area on a sunny Saturday.

Most OT journey was with my young family on first visit to Venice when we got a speedboat, Bond style, from the airport to the city. Magical. (Actually it was not much more than the cost of the ferry as there were 5 of us).

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

(Also, the run along the Cami de Cavalls in Menorca from Son Bou to towards Cala'n'Porter. Up , and then down and back up, into a Gorge with a little beach, scattering mountain goats, then running through fields of Olive Trees, before reaching the farmland just outside Cala'n' Porter)

Yes, the Long Furlong.
It featured in an episode of 'Porridge' once. (They pretended it was in Scotland!)

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I did a lot of backpacking from 18-29 rarely taking a guidebook or doing much research and instead relying on talking to people in a way that was definitely embarrassingly snobby about Lonely Planet and Rough Guide etc. Undoubtedly missed a lot of "sights", did some quite stupid things and got in some risky situations, but at the same time would do it all again (without the chip on my shoulder about guidebooks) if I had the opportunity. Favourite journeys:

Went hiking in the Pyrenees with an ex-girlfriend in the summer nearly 30 years ago when we were both free for a few weeks, hitchhiked and camped for days when we got bored of walking in the mountains, then liberated some knackered old canoes from an apparently derelict hire place and spent a few days slowly making our way along the river not really knowing where we were heading, and ended up in Lourdes. When I'm feeling most trapped by work that's my favourite nostalgic journey to remember for the freedom, peace and just enjoying being in the moment.

Two very look-at-me of the kind that it's impossible to relate without sounding like a cliche: from Zagora in Morocco to the border with Algeria by bus and then by camel with Touareg nomads I'd got talking to at someone's remote house the bus had stopped at top drop off some supplies, sleeping out in the desert each night. I'm sometimes surprised at how naive/stupid/brave 20 year old me was.

A long bus journey from a village I never knew the name of in Peru to La Paz in Bolivia. Hadn't intended to go to Bolivia but we got talking to a Chilean priest who said we'd probably like it. Arrived as the sun came up and a market was in full swing - as a city and a scene it absolutely blew my tiny high-altitude oxygen-deprived mind and when I think of where I'd go to show mini-Exile a huge culture shock it's not anywhere I've been in India, or Japan or anywhere in Africa, it's always parts of Bolivia I think of.

I'll pick up my "cliched traveller tales" badge on the way out.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
1994. The whole 4 week road trip from San Diego to Portland...taking in the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, the Pacific Highway, the Giant Redwood forests....and Astoria where they filmed the Goonies.

Doubt I will ever beat that tbh.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I love the drive from our house through mid Wales and the Snowdonia National Park to the North coast of Wales, the scenery is second to none. As a road to drive, I love the A467 from Risca to Brynmawr, roof down late at night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here