Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Yards back at Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Could the tide finally be turning ? Good appointment but we could do with a couple of imported senior players too,

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Could the tide finally be turning ? Good appointment but we could do with a couple of imported senior players too,

I'm not so sure, maybe one more.

I think having Head for the season will make a difference - he arrived late last year and struggled to get to grip with English pitches and the Duke ball. Brown seems like a different player now he's been relieved of the captaincy. If Haines and Orr continue where they left off, that's a decent top four. Perhaps an experienced number five but it's time to give Coles, Clark and Ibrahim more of a go. I suspect we'll also have Archer at the start of the season - he'll be itching to prove his fitness.

I feel a lot more confident - the kids will have had a season under their belt and can kick on from there.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm really not sure about this appointment - he was the batting coach between 2017-19, a period of time when the Sussex batting seemed to be heading for terminal decline - with one or two exceptions - and the common consensus was that the batting was, and still is, Sussex's main problem. Greenfield continues, somehow, to survive as the Director of Cricket and now seems to have carte blanch to appoint his mates to all the key coaching roles. It may be an attempt to re-boot the Sussex "family" on a tight budget and I wish them all well but they won't be getting my membership money quite so easily from now on.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I think having Head for the season will make a difference - he arrived late last year and struggled to get to grip with English pitches and the Duke ball. Brown seems like a different player now he's been relieved of the captaincy. If Haines and Orr continue where they left off, that's a decent top four. Perhaps an experienced number five but it's time to give Coles, Clark and Ibrahim more of a go. I suspect we'll also have Archer at the start of the season - he'll be itching to prove his fitness.

I feel a lot more confident - the kids will have had a season under their belt and can kick on from there.

Very confident in Head for next season. His Championship season was even more of a struggle than his Ashes series, although he did start that series well enough, got bowled and lbw a lot. Looking forward to seeing him play. I'm getting a membership for next year.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Famous last words!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Famous last words!

:lolol:

Yeah, it could come back to haunt me.

But I think that some of those kids are class players - I can certainly see Ibrahim and Carson playing for England (Atkins too if he doesn't crock himself)

I've long thought Haines was a decent player and needed a season to prove it.

I'm fully aware that things can go wrong - Rawlins looked very promising a few years back and has lost his way in FC cricket but I think that's because he was promoted as a T20 player.

But I do think that Sussex are on the right lines. I know that Andrew is not the most popular fella among Sussex fans but I reckon he's doing his best with a bad hand. It's easy to say that the county could dangle the chequebook and attract a few seasoned pros but that wouldn't help in the long run. Since last year we've taken SVZ, Salt, Jordan, Meaker, Claydon, Thomason off the payroll, seen Robbo taken off and renegotiated Beer's contract. I'm not sure what's happened to Wiese and Rashid but I'd be surprised if the former is back next season.

All we've added are Finn and FHP, that's got to put our finances on better terms. I suspect there's another FC signing and another white ball and we're there. For a team not in The Hundred, we're looking pretty stable.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Surely as a team we can’t do any worse than last season. We finished bottom of the bottom pile in the CC, were awful in the one dayers and blew it in the Blast.

Even a 10% improvement all round next season won’t see us as anything but also rans.

Bigger changes than bringing back Yardy to run the kids are required ….. starting at the top

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
County cricket is ****ed, just when I'm about to retire and was looking to enjoy days at Hove/Arundel/Horsham.

Was a member for many years even when I couldn't make too many games, they won't be seeing my money any more - well done ECB...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely as a team we can’t do any worse than last season. We finished bottom of the bottom pile in the CC, were awful in the one dayers and blew it in the Blast.

Even a 10% improvement all round next season won’t see us as anything but also rans.

Bigger changes than bringing back Yardy to run the kids are required ….. starting at the top

I disagree with some of this: we weren't awful in the one-dayers - we won two and lost four but two of those games we lost, we should have won - the lack of experience really told on us there. That experience would have done those kids a lot of good.

We were poor in the CC but look at the sides we were putting out, kids with a handful of games. At one point we had Garton, basically a tail-ender, going in at number five. I really think that having Head for the season will help - he's a class batter and having a full season under his belt will do wonders for him.

I'm not sure what bigger changes can be made, we haven't got the money to sign star players - it has to be about developing the kids

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I disagree with some of this: we weren't awful in the one-dayers - we won two and lost four but two of those games we lost, we should have won - the lack of experience really told on us there. That experience would have done those kids a lot of good.

We were poor in the CC but look at the sides we were putting out, kids with a handful of games. At one point we had Garton, basically a tail-ender, going in at number five. I really think that having Head for the season will help - he's a class batter and having a full season under his belt will do wonders for him.

I'm not sure what bigger changes can be made, we haven't got the money to sign star players - it has to be about developing the kids

I do hope you are right about Head and the youngsters. Potential is our only hope!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just seen a tweet from Matt Prior giving a big thumbs-up to Yards' return

That's interesting as he's been one of the most consistent critics of the current regime but Yardy's got the Cheese seal of approval as someone who can shake things up a bit.

Just need Grizz to join in now

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005

To put out a side with an average age of 19 is rank bad management, yet Sussex were celebrating it like it’s some sort of achievement. The batting resources are so so thin. We desperately need at least two more experienced pros. Where is the competition for places? We were selecting youngsters last season who didn’t even have contracts with us

If Brown leaves we really are bang in trouble

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
To put out a side with an average age of 19 is rank bad management, yet Sussex were celebrating it like it’s some sort of achievement. The batting resources are so so thin. We desperately need at least two more experienced pros. Where is the competition for places? We were selecting youngsters ilast season who didn’t even have contracts with us

If Brown leaves we really are bang in trouble

Spot on. Surely the likes of Wright, Bopara, etc could have been encouraged to help out on a game by game basis rather than chucking the kids into the lion’s den, and then celebrating yet another innings defeat. Not sure if the kids will have benefitted much from the continuous batterings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here