Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] RIP FW de Klerk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Might upset a few on here, but a real 'old school' statesman, who made some tough and brave calls and almost certainly averted a bloody civil war in South Africa.

RIP

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
RIP FW de Clerk

I once got served in Woolies in less than half an hour but I've...

Well, I've travelled this old world of ours from Barnsley to Peru. I've had sunstroke in the arctic and a swim in Timbuktu. I've seen unicorns in Burma and a yeti in Nepal and I've danced with ten foot pygmies in a Montezuma hall. I've met the king of China and a working Yorkshire miner but I've also never met a nice………

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I went to South Africa for the first time in 1994. There was an incredible atmosphere of hope then, de Klerk seemed to be well thought of for the bravery he showed in helping change come about when ‘easier’ options were available. He was clever enough to realise that change was inevitable and it was better to be part of that process than to fight against it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's been Aussie backbackers over here since forever. Love 'em to bits. But up until 1994 you never met a South African backbacker. Then suddenly the nasty arrogant f*ckers were everywhere. Well it was either that or stick around at home and learn to live in a multi-ethnic society. C***s

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There's been Aussie backbackers over here since forever. Love 'em to bits. But up until 1994 you never met a South African backbacker. Then suddenly the nasty arrogant f*ckers were everywhere. Well it was either that or stick around at home and learn to live in a multi-ethnic society. C***s

"... and we'll have more from our Tourist Board spokesperson later in the programme."

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Post Mandela, South African governance has become a basket case. I spent time over there in 2000 and only met white folk (because they were the only folk I knew). None of them questioned the changes, they just lamented how things had just festered, corruption was rife, and opportunities were being missed. The poor governance affected everyone. So it's inevitable that some chose to leave on the back of visa opportunities.

Nothing racist about pursuing a better life for your family or branching out yourself. South Africa has all the resources to be a great nation. But not with people like Jacob Zuma in power.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I once got served in Woolies after less than four weeks wait but I've...

Who's actually doing the singing (the verses), I know the voice but just cant place it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Post Mandela, South African governance has become a basket case. I spent time over there in 2000 and only met white folk (because they were the only folk I knew). None of them questioned the changes, they just lamented how things had just festered, corruption was rife, and opportunities were being missed. The poor governance affected everyone. So it's inevitable that some chose to leave on the back of visa opportunities.

Nothing racist about pursuing a better life for your family or branching out yourself. South Africa has all the resources to be a great nation. But not with people like Jacob Zuma in power.

I was there about the same time BL and again the only people I knew were white. I soon realised that what they missed most was bullying the blacks out there.
They knew the game was up.
That’s not to say I didn’t meet many wonderful people. Even the people I knew beforehand turned out more racist than I could ever imagined.
I had to give arguing up with them all because I was only there for less than two months and wasn’t going to change them.

I suppose I could play devils advocate and say they all told me that there were things I couldn’t possibly know about.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I did 90% of my schooling in SA and Rhod ... left there in 77, returned twice, in 2010 and 2017... let me tell you, it's just like a mirror image has been created. White south Africans, majority of them Afrikaaners descended from the Dutch colonists, are arrogant horrible people....... but...... they have lived in that part of Africa for as long as, or longer than the vast majority of the existing black SA population, who largely migrated south into SA from the 16thC onwards. As a white person of any heritage, you are now a 2nd class citizen, are murdered, are robbed and are still contributing 90% of the tax take due to endemic unemployment presided over by the ANC and the militant EFF ... both racist by tradition, both determined to steal as much as they can from the white and Indian population.

It's a basket case of Sodom and Gomorrah proportions which will be destitute within 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I did 90% of my schooling in SA and Rhod ... left there in 77, returned twice, in 2010 and 2017... let me tell you, it's just like a mirror image has been created. White south Africans, majority of them Afrikaaners descended from the Dutch colonists, are arrogant horrible people....... but...... they have lived in that part of Africa for as long as, or longer than the vast majority of the existing black SA population, who largely migrated south into SA from the 16thC onwards. As a white person of any heritage, you are now a 2nd class citizen, are murdered, are robbed and are still contributing 90% of the tax take due to endemic unemployment presided over by the ANC and the militant EFF ... both racist by tradition, both determined to steal as much as they can from the white and Indian population.

It's a basket case of Sodom and Gomorrah proportions which will be destitute within 20 years.

So in short, old FW wasn't so bad after all?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Having lived there for 12 years, I can tell you that there are millions of 2nd class citizens in SA but not many of them are white.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Whenever I think of this era, I think of this track. And vice versa.

Could equally be applied to gammons as well I think.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

A country in decline for sure which is pretty tragic, black empowerment isn't working and is driving away International investment

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The power is in money and resources, not parties and people. Ending apartheid was no problem once sufficient Intelligency had been installed to make sure South Africa would not nationalise the mining industry. It will never be a successful country, regardless of what race gets more of the scraps, as long as what should belong to South Africa doesnt belong to South Africa.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Having lived there for 12 years, I can tell you that there are millions of 2nd class citizens in SA but not many of them are white.
Indeed, if you measure everything in economic terms...... but using political representation, career opportunity, personal safety, future prospects..... then the 5m white population is now at a real disadvantage in life, those who were not even born during the apartheid era, are now under the yoke of another racist regime.... two wrongs definitely won't make a right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here