Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] driving ban and points

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I lost my licence back in July for six months, due to totting up of two six point penalties, speeding and failing to disclose driver. (The car was registered in my wife's name but that's immaterial now).

When I get my licence back in Jan, do any points remain on licence? Can't find accurate info on web. thanks

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/how-long-endorsements-stay-on-your-driving-licence
Hope this helps.

Edit. A screenshot from Gov website.
IMG_20211111_083453.jpg

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I lost my licence back in July for six months, due to totting up of two six point penalties, speeding and failing to disclose driver. (The car was registered in my wife's name but that's immaterial now).

When I get my licence back in Jan, do any points remain on licence? Can't find accurate info on web. thanks
No.

The endorsements stay, but not the points.

TB

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Wait till you have to get insurance mine went from £300 per year to £650 as I have six points. Got done on M25 going to Lincoln and on the return journey at the same camera on the other side of the road. This was between Leatherhead and Wesley. Didn’t know there was one there. Still was my own fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Wait till you have to get insurance mine went from £300 per year to £650 as I have six points. Got done on M25 going to Lincoln and on the return journey at the same camera on the other side of the road. This was between Leatherhead and Wesley. Didn’t know there was one there. Still was my own fault.

How fast were you going out of interest?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
One major thing to be aware of which many people don't know, is that if you are done for speeding you are required to inform your insurance company of the endorcement.

Very few people do and if you ever have an accident having previously got points and not declared them, it can invalidate your insurance. The small print on my Aviva insurance points this out right at the end of the 20th page, so be aware.

Before I retired a lad in my office had an accident (genuinely when a deer ran in front of his car), writing his car off in the process - no other vehicles involved. 8 months earlier he got 3 points for speeding and didn't inform his insurance company. When he went to claim for the write off of his car his claim was refused because he had not informed them of the endorcement 8 months earlier. Be careful not to get caught out this way.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
One major thing to be aware of which many people don't know, is that if you are done for speeding you are required to inform your insurance company of the endorcement.

Very few people do and if you ever have an accident having previously got points and not declared them, it can invalidate your insurance. The small print on my Aviva insurance points this out right at the end of the 20th page, so be aware.

Before I retired a lad in my office had an accident (genuinely when a deer ran in front of his car), writing his car off in the process - no other vehicles involved. 8 months earlier he got 3 points for speeding and didn't inform his insurance company. When he went to claim for the write off of his car his claim was refused because he had not informed them of the endorcement 8 months earlier. Be careful not to get caught out this way.

a previous business partner lost his wife to a brain haemorage aged 46 ......Aviva managed to wiggle out of the pay out , 4 kids under 14 ...!! find another insurer , they are *****.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you get a drink driving ban the offence stays on your driving record not for 4 but 12 years. You have to report this every year when renewing the insurance. Not talking about myself, here, I hasten to add.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Download the Waze app if you haven’t already you won’t get caught out by a speed camera again.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Normally I would expect that you only need to tell insurers of points when you come up for renewal as they would be taken into account when providing the renewal quote. Mid term shouldn't be a requirement but worth checking.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
thanks for advice. still unsure. seems the points (two speeding, two failing to declare owner, both at almost same time) stay on my licence which means I will have 12 for next four years?! (I wasn't even driving the car, just was registered in my name)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
thanks for advice. still unsure. seems the points (two speeding, two failing to declare owner, both at almost same time) stay on my licence which means I will have 12 for next four years?! (I wasn't even driving the car, just was registered in my name)

I thought it was in your wifes name? :ffsparr:

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
a previous business partner lost his wife to a brain haemorage aged 46 ......Aviva managed to wiggle out of the pay out , 4 kids under 14 ...!! find another insurer , they are *****.

That's tragic but what is the relevance to a thread about car insurance?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006

They don’t. I have my license back as was banned for a year, 0 points but they still show on endorsements for 3/4 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here