Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] John Cleese Blacklists Himself From Cambridge University Event

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He's got increasingly odder in recent years.

Edit : Surely he himself knows that you shouldn't mention that war, he himself mentioned it once and just about got away with it ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At the risk of being blacklisted by certain NSCers, I will just say this. Good for John Cleese!

Bear pit incoming. The students - won't anyone think of the students .............................

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I recall a few years ago he was promoting his “alimony” tour. He came across very bitter and made it quite clear he was on the road (at his age) purely to pay for his divorce.
I’m not sure I would want to pay to spend an evening watching a man on stage who didn’t wish to be there.

As an aside I have no issue with Hitler impressions. Us Brits have a rich history of mocking people who take themselves too seriously.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I recall a few years ago he was promoting his “alimony” tour. He came across very bitter and made it quite clear he was on the road (at his age) purely to pay for his divorce.
I’m not sure I would want to pay to spend an evening watching a man on stage who didn’t wish to be there.

As an aside I have no issue with Hitler impressions. Us Brits have a rich history of mocking people who take themselves too seriously.

I believe in his less bitter days he admitted an expensive predilection for blonde American ladies had already cost him a fortune.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well played. He should have enough influence to make people think a little bit.

Edit : Surely he himself knows that you shouldn't mention that war, he himself mentioned it once and just about got away with it ?

Maybe society got odder and he remained the same.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I believe in his less bitter days he admitted an expensive predilection for blonde American ladies had already cost him a fortune.

Ah, the old Royster Doyster. I suppose the day comes when we all have to pay the piper!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't always agree with Cleese but I think he is spot on. He has made the Cambridge Union seem foolish, as everyone knows one of Britain's most seminal comedic moments is Cleese's goose-stepping Basil Fawlty scene in the "don't mention the war" episode.

Would that scene be allowed to air now? I'd say it was touch and go, certainly not on the BBC.

As time goes on people forget about context, just hear words that press their buttons and go batshit crazy on social media.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
*Bradwell said it was a "huge shame" that Mr Cleese felt he could no longer attend, but that his "blacklist" was merely a recommendation to future presidents.

This quote from the article may suggest that the original cancelling wasn't quite what Cleese had heard?

Usually these cases are more nuanced than the press would have us believe.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't always agree with Cleese but I think he is spot on. He has made the Cambridge Union seem foolish, as everyone knows one of Britain's most seminal comedic moments is Cleese's goose-stepping Basil Fawlty scene in the "don't mention the war" episode.

Would that scene be allowed to air now? I'd say it was touch and go, certainly not on the BBC.

As time goes on people forget about context, just hear words that press their buttons and go batshit crazy on social media.

Didn't the BBC show all of Fawlty Towers just a few months back, during lockdown?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Didn't the BBC show all of Fawlty Towers just a few months back, during lockdown?

Probably - with a warning that the programme contained some unacceptable content, and with a blanket apology to every pr@t who might feel the need to be offended.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Probably - with a warning that the programme contained some unacceptable content, and with a blanket apology to every pr@t who might feel the need to be offended.

Are they worse than the people who are offended and annoyed at stuff being banned when it isn't?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are they worse than the people who are offended and annoyed at stuff being banned when it isn't?

Who cares? I don't. Good for John Cleese for annoying people that are looking for a chance to be outraged though. Go on - make my day! - tell me that something on this thread's annoyed you!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Who cares? I don't. Good for John Cleese for annoying people that are looking for a chance to be outraged though. Go on - make my day! - tell me that something on this thread's annoyed you!

I think we disagree on the type of people that are looking to be outraged

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here