Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Help Any Carpet fitters Advice

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
We have a flat with a kitchen and lounge in same room. Wife wants laminate in the whole room. I think the flat below might complain, with kids as well could make a lot of noise?

If we go carpet and lino the divide is just under 4 meters, can u get bars that long to go between? Or would it be a few metal bars which would look sh1t?

Thanks for any advice

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
[MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] may be your person

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We have a flat with a kitchen and lounge in same room. Wife wants laminate in the whole room. I think the flat below might complain, with kids as well could make a lot of noise?

If we go carpet and lino the divide is just under 4 meters, can u get bars that long to go between? Or would it be a few metal bars which would look sh1t?

Thanks for any advice

In some properties you are not allowed laminate or wood in a property above another, check your tenancy or freehold agreement.
Laminate is the worst type of flooring possible to buy, the majority of the product is reinforced cardboard, with a very thin wear layer surface. Water will find its way between any gap or joint, causing the product to swell and blister. It is also interlocking so if one plank is damaged, you have to break them all up, to get to the damaged plank,

The ideal product is Luxury vinyl tiles on a sound proofing membrane, however this can be quite expensive, and if your on a budget either vinyl (felt backed new products are so much better than in the past even having a texture and are more hard wearing - do not buy cushion backed vinyl) or carpet which obviously an underlay and should help with noise issues.

Personally I wouldn’t put laminate in a dog kennel.

If you need any advise pm me.

PS: The company I work for can’t fit before Christmas and any fitter worth his salt who has time (unless their a friend) before Christmas is probably either going to let you down, or not be very good, work is extremely busy throughout the sector.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I wouldn't bother with laminate if I were you, instead spend a little extra on LVT (luxury vinyl tiles).

If noise transferring through the floor is of concern, then you can install a sound dampening underlay. There's specific products marketed for their STC (sound transmission class) ratings.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've just put herringbone layout Amtico LVT down in my lounge and it's superb. That and Karndean are my 'go to' LVT's - but I've just put LG (as in the TV's!) LVT's down in my home office which is cheap as chips and look fine!

I also did the photography area at my work with LVT and bought 8 boxes of Amtico from a fitter on eBay who 'over-ordered' on a customer job *cough*. I paid about 40% of retail price. Just make sure that if you buy on eBay they're from the same batch. The numbers will be on the box. :smile:

Totally agree that cheaper 'Laminate' is utter pony. Spill a drink on it, and watch it blow.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In some properties you are not allowed laminate or wood in a property above another, check your tenancy or freehold agreement.
Laminate is the worst type of flooring possible to buy, the majority of the product is reinforced cardboard, with a very thin wear layer surface. Water will find its way between any gap or joint, causing the product to swell and blister. It is also interlocking so if one plank is damaged, you have to break them all up, to get to the damaged plank,

The ideal product is Luxury vinyl tiles on a sound proofing membrane, however this can be quite expensive, and if your on a budget either vinyl (felt backed new products are so much better than in the past even having a texture and are more hard wearing - do not buy cushion backed vinyl) or carpet which obviously an underlay and should help with noise issues.

Personally I wouldn’t put laminate in a dog kennel.

If you need any advise pm me.

PS: The company I work for can’t fit before Christmas and any fitter worth his salt who has time (unless their a friend) before Christmas is probably either going to let you down, or not be very good, work is extremely busy throughout the sector.

Hope this helps

I totally agree with the above . Laminate in a kitchen with water spills is not going to end well .and the quality of most of what I looked at was poor . Carpet in a kitchen is also not a good idea even worse with kids & animals. Luxury vinyl floor tiles laid under the correct membrane are def the best option ,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here