Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Has anyone ever lived in a camper van?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I have this dream of selling up, buying a decent camper and buggering off.

It's becoming more common nowadays what with the cost of living going up and up. Has anyone done it or even doing it now? Just imagine disappearing off to the south of Europe for the winter. Amazing.

I follow various YouTuber's that are doing just that and although not easy and not always glamorous they are loving the life #vanlife

The only thing I'd worry about is of course eventually running out of money and my employment chances are lower than most having a disability.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Got a friend that has done this for past few years. As you can imagine there are plenty of positives to it but also negatives as well. Tiny space, trouble keeping yourself and van clean, staying warm. It's great in the summer with warm weather and light evenings but come winter it's rotten even in a warmer clime. He is torn as he likes the low cost and freedom but also ends up getting an airbnb for a week occasionally just to have normal life!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
After we finished school in 2004 a mate and me road-tripped around the USA in a 1984 VW Westy for 4 months.

Then when finishing University in 2007 my girlfriend (now wife) and bought an old Mercedes Luton van for £1000 and converted into a camper ourselves, with the bed above the driving compartment. Roadtripped through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria and Italy. We were heading to Sicily, but unfortunately a little south of Naples we had our van broken into and most of our painting equipment was stolen (we were financing the trip by painting portraits along the way). Sadly they also stole my laptop and with it almost all the photos from that trip. Did that for around 5 months.

Both amazing experiences, I'd highly recommend life on the road! The hardest part was always finding somewhere to shower, so if I were to do it again I'd definitely include a built in shower in the design.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I had a year away in my van when my wife died. Travelled round Europe where parking is easier than here and the weather (often) more clement. Loved every minute and if the buffoon doesn’t declare war with the EU I plan to have another year touring quite soon (90 days in Schengen countries 90 out)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I have this dream of selling up, buying a decent camper and buggering off.

It's becoming more common nowadays what with the cost of living going up and up. Has anyone done it or even doing it now? Just imagine disappearing off to the south of Europe for the winter. Amazing.

I follow various YouTuber's that are doing just that and although not easy and not always glamorous they are loving the life #vanlife

The only thing I'd worry about is of course eventually running out of money and my employment chances are lower than most having a disability.

If I was single without kids I would definitely do it. Mid life, married, and two teenage sons....not so easy.

Still dream of it though. That and living on a houseboat somewhere.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lived in a motorhome for a week max a few times with the family when racing, thats long enough.
easier on your own to keep the place clean
shower and toilet are a must, how long you last depends on tank sizes.

I'd never sell my home to do it . . . . I tihnk I'd prefer to travel by bike/car and stay in B&B/Hotels TBH. A good motorhome needs using a lot to justify its existence or it ends up costing similar!

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Got a friend that has done this for past few years. As you can imagine there are plenty of positives to it but also negatives as well. Tiny space, trouble keeping yourself and van clean, staying warm. It's great in the summer with warm weather and light evenings but come winter it's rotten even in a warmer clime. He is torn as he likes the low cost and freedom but also ends up getting an airbnb for a week occasionally just to have normal life!

I've heard it said you don't live in a van, you live out of a van as most of your time is spent outside. I don't think I'd have an issue with being in a small space etc but I'd definitely hate the winter in this country. That's why I'd go abroad in winter.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10063371 said:
After we finished school in 2004 a mate and me road-tripped around the USA in a 1984 VW Westy for 4 months.

Then when finishing University in 2007 my girlfriend (now wife) and bought an old Mercedes Luton van for £1000 and converted into a camper ourselves, with the bed above the driving compartment. Roadtripped through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria and Italy. We were heading to Sicily, but unfortunately a little south of Naples we had our van broken into and most of our painting equipment was stolen (we were financing the trip by painting portraits along the way). Sadly they also stole my laptop and with it almost all the photos from that trip. Did that for around 5 months.

Both amazing experiences, I'd highly recommend life on the road! The hardest part was always finding somewhere to shower, so if I were to do it again I'd definitely include a built in shower in the design.

Mate that is gutting! Yes definitely will have a shower fitted :lolol:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
If I was single without kids I would definitely do it. Mid life, married, and two teenage sons....not so easy.

Still dream of it though. That and living on a houseboat somewhere.

Yes a houseboat is another fantasy, slightly more restrictive on where you can travel though I suppose.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Spent a year travelling around Australia in a Hiace van. Sometimes 'lived' out of it but it somewhat depended if I could find anywhere to pitch my tent. Highly recommend it - it's very, as they say, liberating.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Yes a houseboat is another fantasy, slightly more restrictive on where you can travel though I suppose.

Go for it! What could possibly go wrong?

qXXTTCC.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I've heard it said you don't live in a van, you live out of a van as most of your time is spent outside. I don't think I'd have an issue with being in a small space etc but I'd definitely hate the winter in this country. That's why I'd go abroad in winter.

Yep but even abroad with the dark evenings etc being outside isn't so fun. However my friend loves it and has no plans to quit his van.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Only recently heard about people living on canal boats in London. You can moor somewhere for 2 weeks max (I think) if you don't have a permanent mooring and then have to move on. So they just keep moving and have a cheap(-ish) central London accommodation.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Take time to get it set up right and treat yourself to an air bnb every once in a while, especially in winter. Nice way of life. Just be thorough and be realistic. It will be tough at times.

Really do your research, talk to others. Their tips are invaluable. If you realise it’s not for you after a while, you can always return to brick and mortar. No harm in giving it a go.

Good luck to you.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've seen a lot more Vanlife people in Sussex in recent years. I know councils in the UK do their utmost to discourage such behaviour (unlike France for example), but Worthing seafront (from Heene Road to the end of the Prom) where the parking meters stop has lots of vans permanently residing there, some 'stealth' others less so. Further West used to be popular, but Worthing council made it illegal to park there after 10pm.

Arundel is also a popular site for people to live in a van, with the road before Swanbourne Lake free to camp on.

I follow a number of really interesting #Vanlife Youtubers, both UK and elsewhere, from those in large Luton / Horsebox conversions to people in basic transit vans, all very insightful.

As I alluded to above, in the UK I'd say the biggest challenge is finding places to stay overnight. Many people seem to get visited by the police or pester by busy-bodies, as there are large parts of the country where overnight stays are not welcome - which is a shame.

Not the most relevant, but this couple have been self-converting a horse box, and it's quite nice to watch: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKyT2GAYUm3EonvbjPJHCAA

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Camper van, no but an RV, yes please. Problem is that the maintenance costs are probably up there with owning a coach and even European roads would be a challenge in towns. RV towing a 2cv would be perfect though

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Take time to get it set up right and treat yourself to an air bnb every once in a while, especially in winter. Nice way of life. Just be thorough and be realistic. It will be tough at times.

Really do your research, talk to others. Their tips are invaluable. If you realise it’s not for you after a while, you can always return to brick and mortar. No harm in giving it a go.

Good luck to you.

Thanks!

Yes I'm trying to find out all the potential pitfalls and downsides at the moment and luckily there's a wealth of information and advice online.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here