Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League block Shelter's 'away shirt at home' awareness day

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Premier League has reportedly turned down a proposal from homeless charity Shelter which would have seen clubs play home fixtures in their away kits on Boxing Day.

Several clubs - including Brighton and Wolves - were supportive of the proposal.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/premier...its-on-boxing-day-for-homeless-charity-298758

Non story.

IT is in the Premier League rules. The very same rules all 20 clubs have the power to change at the start of the season. Perhaps Brighton and Wolves should have had some foresight and proposed this not during a season?

As defined in Section M.22., "the 1st priority are the outfield players of the Home Club who shall wear their home Strip". The 2nd priority are the outfield players of the Visiting Club, followed by the keeper kits.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Non story.

IT is in the Premier League rules. The very same rules all 20 clubs have the power to change at the start of the season. Perhaps Brighton and Wolves should have had some foresight and proposed this not during a season?

As defined in Section M.22., "the 1st priority are the outfield players of the Home Club who shall wear their home Strip". The 2nd priority are the outfield players of the Visiting Club, followed by the keeper kits.

You deserve the classic "bet you're fun at parties" quote m'lord.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You deserve the classic "bet you're fun at parties" quote m'lord.

Not really - just don't get excited by media hysteria over something. The clubs approve the rules for every season so there it is. I suspect they may well give in to this request, but you can't complain about the very rules you sign off on at the start of every season!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Non story.

Hmmm, let me just check .... yep, as you say a Premier League rule .... so the PREMIER LEAGUE has the ability to override the rule. It's not a non-story - we're talking about a multi-billions pound business here with over paid players and over paid suits. It seems reasonable that those overpaid people might actually do something very small to highlight the shameful fact that, as one of the richest countries in the world, the UK has a homeless problem. Bunch of CJTCs !!!! ( and I mean the Premier League not the homeless ).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hmmm, let me just check .... yep, as you say a Premier League rule .... so the PREMIER LEAGUE has the ability to override the rule. .

Do they? Where does it legislate for that? The PL don't make the rules, they enforce them. The PL clubs that season sign off on the rules for that season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not really - just don't get excited by media hysteria over something. The clubs approve the rules for every season so there it is. I suspect they may well give in to this request, but you can't complain about the very rules you sign off on at the start of every season!

How do we know all 20 clubs did sign off on it ? Nothing to stop clubs disagreeing with a rule that then becomes the rule due to it either being a majority vote or we're the EPL these are the rules whether you like it or not, which I'd be inclined to think is the case.

There's absolutely no reason the EPL couldn't accommodate this into their current ruling system, and I'd be amazed if the rules and regulations set out at the beginning of each season remained exactly the same all through a season.

The money the EPL currently earns is just eye watering and this just stinks the room out with greed and obnoxious disdain for one of the most important charities around.

Wankers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How do we know all 20 clubs did sign off on it ? Nothing to stop clubs disagreeing with a rule that then becomes the rule due to it either being a majority vote or we're the EPL these are the rules whether you like it or not, which I'd be inclined to think is the case.

There's absolutely no reason the EPL couldn't accommodate this into their current ruling system, and I'd be amazed if the rules and regulations set out at the beginning of each season remained exactly the same all through a season.

The money the EPL currently earns is just eye watering and this just stinks the room out with greed and obnoxious disdain for one of the most important charities around.

Wankers.

https://www.premierleague.com/about

The Member Clubs of the Premier League
The Premier League is a private company wholly owned by its 20 Member Clubs who make up the League at any one time.

Each individual club is independent, working within the rules of football, as defined by the Premier League, The FA, UEFA and FIFA, as well as being subject to English and European law.

Each of the 20 clubs are a Shareholder in the Premier League. Consultation is at the heart of the Premier League and Shareholder meetings are the ultimate decision-making forum for Premier League policy and are held at regular intervals during the course of the season.

The Premier League AGM takes place at the close of each season, at which time the relegated clubs transfer their shares to the clubs promoted into the Premier League from the Football League Championship.

Clubs have the opportunity to propose new rules or amendments at the Shareholder meeting. Each Member Club is entitled to one vote and all rule changes and major commercial contracts require the support of at least a two-thirds vote, or 14 clubs, to be agreed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Silly but no need for awareness really, what is needed is action: the UK could easily build 300 000 apartments to house all the homeless, same goes for any Western country but a lack of housing keeps prices up.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Do they? Where does it legislate for that? The PL don't make the rules, they enforce them. The PL clubs that season sign off on the rules for that season.

The Premier League gave Manchester United & Ronaldo special dispensation to wear the number 7 shirt after squad numbers had already been confirmed.

I really don’t see a huge amount of difference here. If they wanted to the Premier League could change the rule as a one off for Boxing Day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Silly but no need for awareness really, what is needed is action: the UK could easily build 300 000 apartments to house all the homeless, same goes for any Western country but a lack of housing keeps prices up.

Exactly. Seems like a nonsense gesture to me. Why don't the clubs all get together and donate a healthy sum instead if they are that bothered? Or arrange for a collection at every game?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
How does wearing your away shirt at home raise awareness for Shelter?

Wouldn't it be better if they wore shelter logo somewhere and then auctioned off the shirts like they have done a the weekend for the RBL?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Like the Premier League rules on not endorsing potentially political statements? ... Except the poppy.

Don't get me wrong, I have actively support wearing the poppy, but to suggests "rules are rules" when the League changes them anyway if it suits is a stretch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here