Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Party Hypocrisy Unbelievable

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How about this for Whataboutery?

Sir Geoffrey Cox sacked last year as Attorney General, hasn’t spoken in the House of Commons for 18 months, still draws his MPs salary, but earns £1M as a barrister, working from the British Virgin Islands and voting remotely in Parliament.
I wonder how his Devon constituents feel about his hypocrisy?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
More whatabbouttery

Scot Morrison our gracious leader did not use coal power to get the the conference and he bloody loves the stuff.

His car is not coal powered either . . . As far as I know.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not sure it's exactly the same but I do take your point.

Two questions though:

Does this mean the only people who should care about global warming are vegetarian, non-driving, non-flying people who somehow manage to make a living without using anything made by a corporations? Or does it, perhaps, mean that we should make cars more eco friendly, flying more expensive, vegetarianism easier and corporations more accountable?

I don't want to put words in [MENTION=177]Brovion[/MENTION] 's mouth but the point is that we should all cut unnecessary emissions. He could and should have taken the train .... like Caroline Lucas did. Nobody is going to be perfect but those preaching to us should at least practise what they preach when they have the opportunity.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I wonder how his Devon constituents feel about his hypocrisy?

With a 25,000 majority, does it really matter? There are enough Tory voters (who will only be aware of his name and who he is when they put a cross next to it at the next election) for him to hold this seat as long as he likes unfortunately, he just needs to keep out of prison.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure it's exactly the same but I do take your point.

Two questions though:

Does this mean the only people who should care about global warming are vegetarian, non-driving, non-flying people who somehow manage to make a living without using anything made by a corporations? Or does it, perhaps, mean that we should make cars more eco friendly, flying more expensive, vegetarianism easier and corporations more accountable?

Your questions are more part of a wider debate rather than simple 'Green party hypocrisy'. But yes, there are a lot of people with their heads in the sand, or worse, happy to blame 'corporations' for destroying the planet when at the end of the day it's us doing it by the lifestyle choices we make and the products we buy. It's beholden on all of us to 'do something'.

To get back on the thread topic: my son was at COP26. He shared a house with three Green party members. None of the Greens had flown up. If they could do it why couldn't Mr MacCafferty?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your questions are more part of a wider debate rather than simple 'Green party hypocrisy'. But yes, there are a lot of people with their heads in the sand, or worse, happy to blame 'corporations' for destroying the planet when at the end of the day it's us doing it by the lifestyle choices we make and the products we buy. It's beholden on all of us to 'do something'.

To get back on the thread topic: my son was at COP26. He shared a house with three Green party members. None of the Greens had flown up. If they could do it why couldn't Mr MacCafferty?

In mitigation for this, he was worried his train was going to cancelled (some had been) and the plane was scheduled to go anyway, as it was a public flight, unlike Johnson, who used a private jet to fly from Glasgow to London for a dinner, and then back again.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
In mitigation for this, he was worried his train was going to cancelled (some had been) and the plane was scheduled to go anyway, as it was a public flight, unlike Johnson, who used a private jet to fly from Glasgow to London for a dinner, and then back again.

Lucas wasn’t worried and this thread isn’t about Johnson, yep definitely whataboutary [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Complete none story, not in the same league as Tory or Labour hypocrisy.

But it's not a 'non-story'. He's leader of a Green Council and should show leadership.

Good on him for apologising, but the damage is done.

Brighton has:

1. The Worst recycling rates in Sussex
2. The only Green Council in Sussex.

Go figure.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

So the question becomes: Does the good I can do for the environment at the conference offset the damage I am causing by flying there?

Perhaps when he made the decision he though that it would.

The question he perhaps didn't consider was: How will I deal with the hysterical accusations of hypocrisy from sections of the community?

For me it is a shame that he seems to have addressed the second one rather than the first when quizzed about it.

Still he has apologized for his error of judgement, probably time to move on.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I think far too much is made of how people get to these big summits sometimes. The most important thing is that the right people get there, less so how they got there, unless perhaps its private jet. There were loads of prior train issues anyway. You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette. Sure it would have been nice if he had walked/hitched/cycled, got a train but in the real world, he took a seat on a plane that was going anyway to ensure attendance. I dont think any apology was necessary by any stretch

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Lucas wasn’t worried and this thread isn’t about Johnson, yep definitely whataboutary [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wouldn't it be nice to have all our politicians held to the same standards with regards to climate change?

I guess they would need to have the same standards for this to happen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is weirdly so true, the majors can do as they please and no one bats an eye lid, whereas here a Green makes “an error of judgement” and its burn him*, he’s a heretic.

* in a carbon neutral way!

When your whole raison d'etre is to be, er, green, then of course your green ness will be under the microscope.

It would be the same opprobrium if an MP for an orthodox Christian party were caught coveting his neighbour's wife or having a sly pray in a mosque.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
When your whole raison d'etre is to be, er, green, then of course your green ness will be under the microscope.

It woud be the same opprobrium if an MP for an orthodox Christian party were caught coveting his neighbour's wife or having a sly pray in a mosque.

Or if the Tory representative was not driven to the conference by a driver on minimum wage and a zero hours contract . . .

. . . and then didn't charge their expense account for a limo driven by a formula one driver and pocket the difference :lolol::lolol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

It woud be the same opprobrium if an MP for an orthodox Christian party were caught coveting his neighbour's wife or having a sly pray in a mosque.
Or if a party made a big deal out of tough on crime and financially responsible while maintaining laws and rules don't apply to them and spending millions wastefully through their mates

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume if you see this hypocrisy as unbelievable, this is how you spend your day:-

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Apologised because got caught you mean ...

Got caught? Did some intrepid journalist follow him to the airport and surreptitiously take photos of him for proof?

:lolol:

Until such time as plane travel is banned, he's done nothing wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here