Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For Those Of You Having A Moan . . .

el punal

. . . . about the Albion performance on Saturday I’ll just remind you what a shitty week and a bit feels like watching our glorious team. In 1973 we had Brian Clough in charge, everyone thought he was the new Messiah and would lead us to the promised land. No such luck. In the space of ten days we lost to Walton and Hersham 4-0 in a FA Cup replay at the Goldstone, followed by the 8-2 drubbing by Bristol Rovers also at home. Our next game we travelled to Tranmere to be thumped 4-1.

The highs and lows of watching your team - conceding 16 goals in 3 games is definitely not a high, being 7th in the Premier League definitely is. :drink:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
appreciate the sentiment here but we could be finishing in the champions league places every season and people would still complain about a bad performance. it's just what football fans do (and are entitled to do), and however bad we were x amount of years ago is never going to change that :shrug:

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I remember the first day at school after the Bristol Rovers embarrassment and throwing my Albion scarf into a puddle and stamping on it....guess it made me feel better after all the taunting by the local Man U, Spurs and Chelsea plastics!

Yes, that was definitely worse than failing to beat Newcastle in the Prem....

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
appreciate the sentiment here but we could be finishing in the champions league places every season and people would still complain about a bad performance. it's just what football fans do (and are entitled to do), and however bad we were x amount of years ago is never going to change that :shrug:

Exactly. I've been watching the Albion since early 1966 and I've seen WAY more shit performances and lived through WAY worse times than this. (And let's not even mention Hereford and 1997). This is undoubtedly the greatest era in the club's history. Greatest players, greatest manager, greatest chairman. And acknowledging all that still didn't stop me from being intensely pissed off at the final whistle on Saturday.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i dont think people are moaning so much about the actual result- we all know matches can go either way even if you are battering the opposition for 89 mins but don't score and they score a last min winner

They aren't moaning that we are only in 7th and we should be in 4th place or 5th or 6th, we all know what an outstanding position we are in. Third of the way in with top half looking a reasonable possibility all season

Its not even an entitled fanbase thing "we should be beating #teamslikeNewcastle

What is happening is nothing more than massive disappointment at the performance from basically the same players who for 45 mins made Liverpool , Man City look distinctly second best. Had the team played with that intensity and composure Newcastle would in all likelihood been 3 down at half time.

Its a measure of how far we have come that we all feel real disappointment at the moment, not because the team is crap, or that we are having a bad season. Its genuine disappointment that Little OId Unfashionable Brighton are actually playing equally with the big boys and have seemingly let a game get away from us that we should have won

By the time of the next match we will all be excited about possibly climbing up a couple of places

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Fair point.

Especially now we have become so big.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
i dont think people are moaning so much about the actual result- we all know matches can go either way even if you are battering the opposition for 89 mins but don't score and they score a last min winner

They aren't moaning that we are only in 7th and we should be in 4th place or 5th or 6th, we all know what an outstanding position we are in. Third of the way in with top half looking a reasonable possibility all season

Its not even an entitled fanbase thing "we should be beating #teamslikeNewcastle

What is happening is nothing more than massive disappointment at the performance from basically the same players who for 45 mins made Liverpool , Man City look distinctly second best. Had the team played with that intensity and composure Newcastle would in all likelihood been 3 down at half time.

Its a measure of how far we have come that we all feel real disappointment at the moment, not because the team is crap, or that we are having a bad season. Its genuine disappointment that Little OId Unfashionable Brighton are actually playing equally with the big boys and have seemingly let a game get away from us that we should have won

By the time of the next match we will all be excited about possibly climbing up a couple of places

This.

Whilst I totally agree with the OPs sentiment, the manner of the draw was so bloody frustrating.

Last season we drew or lost many games with our XG being heavily touted as an indication that things hopefully will get better. And they have this season imo, confirmed by league position.

However Saturdays game looked like the players either were lost or could not be bothered. There was no intensity after going 1-0 up, right upto the last 10 mins when Sanchez got sent off and that seemed to wake us up m

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If you got very upset about only drawing at home to Newcastle, I'm afraid you're suffering from "Arsenalfanitis". It is a horrible debillitating disease. You can see examples of people suffering with all the symptoms if you watch any Arsenal Fans TV on You Tube!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A week is a long time in football. At Anfield we were brilliant after a poor start, at the Amex we were poor after a good start. The post match comments on Saturday was the perfect opportunity for those that spent most of the last two seasons doubting Potter to run out with their pitch forks :smile:

We are flying up the entitled fans PL league though :smile:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Dead right.

I found this on the Man City forum on the Palace match thread:
(Talking about next game v Utd)

They will comfortably beat us. Despite being shit they create a ton of chances and 8 out of 10 shots on target v us results in a goal and whilst they give up chances galore we are one if the most toothless teams in the PL so wont take them. We will win the possession count though, but probably gift them 2 goals via sloppy passing.

(They are 3rd highest scorers in the Premier league)

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

The thing is - as we all know - most players (and hence most teams) are inconsistent, or have off-days. Salah is currently touted as the best player in the world....he was anonymous against West Ham yesterday. In the Premier League pretty much all teams are good enough to capitalise when the opposition has an off-day. So, even though Newcastle looked distinctly average on Saturday, they had enough about them to sneak a point (and could easily have got three). It's frustrating, but that's the way it is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Looking back on historical results for perspective is fine to an extent, be it Withdean, the Gory Years or whatever. But I didn't come away on Saturday thinking "oh well, we lost to a 9-man Walsall once". I came away pissed off that we basically binned off the last 35 minutes, and ended up being pegged back by pretty much the shittest team in the division (AGAIN).

If that makes me entitled then so be it. I can't help it though. When we nause it up against the junk of the division, it seriously macks me off.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Sums it up for me, well said.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
If you got very upset about only drawing at home to Newcastle, I'm afraid you're suffering from "Arsenalfanitis". It is a horrible debillitating disease. You can see examples of people suffering with all the symptoms if you watch any Arsenal Fans TV on You Tube!

So what mood were you in at the final whistle?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The second half on Saturday, we were rubbish.

I, for one, am not going to be happy after watching a performance like that. I don’t care if we are top of the EPL or bottom of league Two, if we play crap it’s going to hack me off.

Of course I’m happy we’re doing so well and it is all about perspective but after watching on that of course I’m going to have a moan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here