Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe standing trial approved from January...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You can already stand at spurs as the rails are already in place
Obviously not officially yet.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Same at Anfield, I actually thought the railing there was a much safer approach than people just standing in the seating areas.

Screenshot 2021-11-08 112820.png

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I spoke to Jon Darch, a big campaigner for safe standing back in 2020 and he fully expected trials to go ahead (even though his timing might've been a bit out – covid-related, probs):

'Having seen many Premier League clubs run with rail seats, Darch believes that many more will follow suit. “By the start of the 2021/22 season, I think at least a quarter of the league will have one or other form of rail seating in place. I can’t really see a reason why the Government would delay following through on their election pledge and if they do it this autumn, it will give other clubs the time to organise seating for that season.
“I’d like to think it would be a snowball effect and clubs will see it working well at other sites and there will be a bit of peer-group pressure, not just from fans, but also from the safety authorities,” he adds.'

More here, if anyone's interested – layout by NSC's @hotchillidog :thumbsup:https://stadia.mydigitalpublication...84&i=674947&p=38&article_id=3775678&ver=html5

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I spoke to Jon Darch, a big campaigner for safe standing back in 2020 and he fully expected trials to go ahead (even though his timing might've been a bit out – covid-related, probs):

'Having seen many Premier League clubs run with rail seats, Darch believes that many more will follow suit. “By the start of the 2021/22 season, I think at least a quarter of the league will have one or other form of rail seating in place. I can’t really see a reason why the Government would delay following through on their election pledge and if they do it this autumn, it will give other clubs the time to organise seating for that season.
“I’d like to think it would be a snowball effect and clubs will see it working well at other sites and there will be a bit of peer-group pressure, not just from fans, but also from the safety authorities,” he adds.'

More here, if anyone's interested – layout by NSC's @hotchillidog :thumbsup:https://stadia.mydigitalpublication...84&i=674947&p=38&article_id=3775678&ver=html5

Always presuming that an acceptable level of fans actually want safe standing of course!

At the Amex after a survey, the level of support for introducing it was very low indeed . . . apparantly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Standing has always been safe. Pretty well established that neither Hillsborough or Heysel disasters had anything to do with standing up.

While I think the trial is good I'm not quite sure what they are hoping to achieve. Yes, stadiums overall in top football (not just England) has gone more quiet since UEFA banned standing in their competitions back in 98 (?) but I believe that has more to do with changes in society than whether people sit or stand.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Are we going to take part in the trial that involves no one leaving until at least, say, 85 minutes are on the clock? Maybe a bit ambitious ….

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’ve always thought the ability of people to move around and therefore for ‘singers’ to congregate is more important than just the act of standing up. If the different pockets of singers in the North could be together, that would make the biggest difference to atmosphere at the Amex for example, and sure that’s true in other grounds. So not too sure this will make much difference

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Always presuming that an acceptable level of fans actually want safe standing of course!

At the Amex after a survey, the level of support for introducing it was very low indeed . . . apparantly.

That survey was a badly worded load of shit that was only ever intended to have one outcome.

If you ask an older fan who quietly sits in the east upper whether they'd like to stand of course they're going to say no. Rather than sending the survey out to all fans I suspect if you'd asked the same question just to STH in the North Stand (where the majority of people stand already) you'd have had a much different response but thats not what Barber wanted to hear.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wrong time to start a campaign for the safe return of bottle tops within pitch view?

I could start a whole new thread about the repeal of this insane ruling. The average fan with a pocketful of loose change could do infinite more damage with a fifty pence piece or a pound coin, than the top off a soft drink bottle, should he be inclined to throw it.

For the second game running, having bought a bottle of Coke Zero from a WSL kiosk, and putting the bottle down by my seat, l then proceeded to kick it over spilling the sticky contents everywhere.

I'm not exactly Paul Barber's greatest fan at the moment.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That survey was a badly worded load of shit that was only ever intended to have one outcome.

If you ask an older fan who quietly sits in the east upper whether they'd like to stand of course they're going to say no. Rather than sending the survey out to all fans I suspect if you'd asked the same question just to STH in the North Stand (where the majority of people stand already) you'd have had a much different response but thats not what Barber wanted to hear.

Well you are right in as much as with me being a 65 year old STH in the West Upper safe stganding wouldn't appeal to me. But as l see it, with standing pretty much permitted in the North Stand anyway, what's the great difference to what you have now?

All that they seem to be supplying you with, (looking at that pic taken at Anfield earlier in the thread), is a railing to lean on. The seat is still in place just as it always used to be.. Not that it will be used much of course!

One thing that it certainly will never resemble, is a return to standing on the terraces akin to the good old days of the 1970's/80's.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do think this is set up to fail - especially without strong stewarding in place.

Celtic have already seen issues with 'The Green Brigade' taking over the safe standing areas and throwing out those with tickets there so they can be together. Coupled with other drink issues etc you can see issues with fans wanting to sit/stand there but not having tickets allowing them to

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Went in the north for the first time on Saturday, my final stand I had not tried. Stood the entire 95 minutes apart from half time, loved it, brought back memories of the North at the goldstone. It felt so normal as well.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I could start a whole new thread about the repeal of this insane ruling. The average fan with a pocketful of loose change could do infinite more damage with a fifty pence piece or a pound coin, than the top off a soft drink bottle, should he be inclined to throw it.

For the second game running, having bought a bottle of Coke Zero from a WSL kiosk, and putting the bottle down by my seat, l then proceeded to kick it over spilling the sticky contents everywhere.

I'm not exactly Paul Barber's greatest fan at the moment.

I don’t think they are concerned about you throwing a bottle top, rather a full bottle with the top still on. The theory being if you luzz one without a top the contents will empty and be much lighter when it lands!

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I don’t think they are concerned about you throwing a bottle top, rather a full bottle with the top still on. The theory being if you luzz one without a top the contents will empty and be much lighter when it lands!

I have a mental picture of Barber standing in an empty North Stand slinging coke bottles at a cardboard cut out of Zaha to test his theory.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On Saturday saw a little kid aged about nine or ten just in front of me in the North being ordered to sit down by stewards. Despite the little kid being about three feet tall and being stood on his seat to see the game due to the big bloke in the seat in front blocking out his entire view of the game that somebody presumably paid for the little guy to see.

Folks stand at corners and free kicks and moments of serious pressure anyways. If you feel the need to stay standing for action taking place at the other end of the ground then, face it, you're probably a bit of a tvvat. It's not 1980 anymore.

Safe standing in the 21st century just seems like an over-engineered solution to a problem that largely doesn't really exist anymore. Maybe just go and watch Lewes? :shrug:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
On Saturday saw a little kid aged about nine or ten just in front of me in the North being ordered to sit down by stewards. Despite the little kid being about three feet tall and being stood on his seat to see the game due to the big bloke in the seat in front blocking out his entire view of the game that somebody presumably paid for the little guy to see.

Folks stand at corners and free kicks and moments of serious pressure anyways. If you feel the need to stay standing for action taking place at the other end of the ground then, face it, you're probably a bit of a tvvat. It's not 1980 anymore.

Safe standing in the 21st century just seems like an over-engineered solution to a problem that largely doesn't really exist anymore. Maybe just go and watch Lewes? :shrug:

Pretty much my feelings to be honest.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

People like to stand at football, calling people tvvats for doing so makes you look quite the bell tip to be honest.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
People like to stand at football, calling people tvvats for doing so makes you look quite the bell tip to be honest.

Fair enough. Would normally always agree. I'm six foot tall. Will never ever in this lifetime bitch about some balding fiftyish guy asserting his right to stand in front of me. Don't really care. And it's ALWAYS some fifthyish guy. Always the same guy challenging the steward. Prob the same two bald bozos fighting over a comb at Man City game. **** those people :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here