Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Happy 60th birthday Micky Adams

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Regardless of the rights and the wrongs of the 'second coming', a genuine Albion legend when you judge where we were when he arrived in April 99 and when he left for Leicester City, 2 and a half years later.

Did get me thinking though, who is the oldest living former boss?

Got to be Mullers surely?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Regardless of the rights and the wrongs of the 'second coming', a genuine Albion legend when you judge where we were when he arrived in April 99 and when he left for Leicester City, 2 and a half years later.

Did get me thinking though, who is the oldest living former boss?

Got to be Mullers surely?

Jimmy Melia is a few years older than Mullery.

Happy birthday to Micky Adams too, those first two seasons at Withdean under him were a lot of fun.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Happy birthday to Micky Adams too, those first two seasons at Withdean under him were a lot of fun.

Yes, this. I prefer not to think about the return at all TBH. Being back in Brighton and actually winning games - at that time you couldn't ask for anything more. It may have been League Two and a crappy athletics stadium but, at last, it was our crap again, and Mickey turned it from that into something absolutely joyous. With Corky banging the dug out it was all a bit Crazy Gang.

Happy big birthday Mickey.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Jimmy Melia is a few years older than Mullery.

Forgot about "FIFA"*, he must be knocking 80?

*This was the nickname coined during the Cup run, as it was a fee for this and a fee for that. Allegedly he came unstuck when Sportsnight came down with Des to film him and the lovely Val on an open top bus along the seafront, when he enquired about 'a fee' the Beeb made it clear it was all covered in their FA Cup final rights. :)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Happy Birthday Micky!

I am simultaneously shocked that he's that old and that young. I can't imagine him being anything other than the Micky of the league two winning team. Which is apparently younger than I thought he was. But not as old as 60.

Anyway I absolutely loved that team he built and winning that league is up their with Doncaster/Hereford, my first ever game and getting promoted to the premier league as my all time best Brighton moment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Also forgot to mention that in terms of encounters with Brighton managers I have:

- seen Chris Hughton drive by in a nice new jam jar
- walked past Potter on Hove seafront
- listened to Mullers in an Amex lounge

BUT

- I have had a wee next to Mickey in the Nelson.

(and also spoken to him after a charity cricket match in Henfield where he proved to be a top bloke, but it's not as good as the wee wee story)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Also forgot to mention that in terms of encounters with Brighton managers I have:

BUT

(and also spoken to him after a charity cricket match in Henfield where he proved to be a top bloke, but it's not as good as the wee wee story)

Micky nutmegged me in a five-a-side game. Not the greatest triumph of his playing career I'll admit.

(this was after I had nutmegged Dean Wilkins .......... I may have mentioned this previously ..........)

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Micky was the manager in my formative Albion years. A lot of time for what he did the first time around!

BUT

Whilst on the subject of interactions with managers/footballers, I once puked my hungover guts up at a restaurant in Liverpool. Leighton Baines was in the next trap over.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Happy Birthday Mickey. I too have a story about him but that is staying in my locker!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Just remembered Peter Taylor ( nearly 69 now) who took over after MA 1 . . .and gave us a pre match talk at the first REMF game.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here