Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today is the 40th anniversary of my first-ever Albion match

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It was on November 7 1981 that my dad, me, our German school-exchange student Frank, my friend Richard and his dad Reg made the trip from Eastbourne to the Goldstone Ground to see Albion take on Birmingham in Division One. I was a football-mad 13-year-old, but nobody else in my family shared my passion. However, Frank was a Hamburg fan from Elmshorn and was keen to see an English football league match; my mum basically forced my dad to take us (as she realised how much it would mean to me). My dad couldn't have cared less (and never went again), hence roping in our friends who had at least been before.

I remember virtually nothing about that first match (the record books show that it finished 1-1, with Michael Robinson, RIP, scoring our goal).

BrumNov71981.jpg

We went into that match 7th in the top flight; forty years later, we sit…6th in the top flight. Plus ca change. It’s been dull, hasn’t it….

I couldn’t have known it at the time, but I had managed to begin a love affair with the club at almost the pinnacle of their footballing achievement – and within weeks began a long, slow, inexorable decline that would result in that blood-curdling, nerve-racking 90 minutes at Edgar Street in 1997. I have seen the side play at over eighty different grounds; mostly in the lower two divisions and always from the terraces (when it was an option). I’ve seen first team friendlies at places like Newcastle Town, Fisher Athletic and Tiverton Town. I’ve seen the youth team play at Goodison Park and Villa Park.

It seems bizarre that for almost half of those 40 years I have been supporting the club from afar. But I have been privileged to see the last couple of matches at the Amex; back worshipping at my personal cathedral, doing the thing that makes me happiest. Don’t ever take your football club for granted, and don’t ever take for granted your ability to see them in person.

I have a long day ahead of me today – literally, as I head back to the West Coast of the USA. At some point I will raise a glass and make a toast to Brighton and Hove Albion FC – to another 40 years of celebration, disappointment, ecstasy, pain and frustration – Up the Albion!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Safe journey back AZ - pity you couldn’t have enjoyed a win but such is life with our beloved team. Your astounding knowledge of the younger Albion teams in particular is a great source of info for me and many others I suspect(typed from a bench in sunny Galway - not the temps you’ll be back to but hey ho. UTA

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Happy that the boys were able to give you a 1-1 in order to celebrate your anniversary! Calculated

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Congratulations on living that long (I'm a similar vintage). I found the line-ups (I found the Birmingham lineup interesting - 2 Albion players (Curbs / Frank) and 2 that I remember better with other teams (Gemmill / Todd)

Brighton

Graham Moseley
Gary Williams
Don Shanks
Steve Gatting
Steve Foster
Jimmy Case
Gordon Smith
Neil McNab
Tony Grealish
Michael Robinson
Andy Ritchie 46'
Substitutes
Mickey Thomas 46'

Birmingham

Tony Coton
Philip Hawker
Pat van den Hauwe
Colin Todd
Alan Curbishley
Ian Handysides
Archie Gemmill
Tony Evans
Toine van Mierlo
Bud Brocken
Frank Worthington

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Congratulations on living that long (I'm a similar vintage). I found the line-ups (I found the Birmingham lineup interesting - 2 Albion players (Curbs / Frank) and 2 that I remember better with other teams (Gemmill / Todd)

Brighton

Graham Moseley
Gary Williams
Don Shanks
Steve Gatting
Steve Foster
Jimmy Case
Gordon Smith
Neil McNab
Tony Grealish
Michael Robinson
Andy Ritchie 46'
Substitutes
Mickey Thomas 46'

Birmingham

Tony Coton
Philip Hawker
Pat van den Hauwe
Colin Todd
Alan Curbishley
Ian Handysides
Archie Gemmill
Tony Evans
Toine van Mierlo
Bud Brocken
Frank Worthington

The Birmingham team were staying at the Courtlands hotel at the Drive, what luxury, and with a bit of insider help I managed to sneak in and get all of their autographs plus Micky Thomas who had just signed for Albion. My hand is still suffering from attempting a handshake with Colin Todd. Jim Smith was the manager, he was very kind to a fresh faced autograph hunter such as me! I found the autographs with a bit of looking.

6B0B3F64-FE3F-4E9C-A505-0042532EF6C1.jpeg

On the bench for Birmingham that day was a 16 year old Nigel Winterburn, but he never got on and was sold to Wimbledon, I think, soon after.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It was on November 7 1981 that my dad, me, our German school-exchange student Frank, my friend Richard and his dad Reg made the trip from Eastbourne to the Goldstone Ground to see Albion take on Birmingham in Division One. I was a football-mad 13-year-old, but nobody else in my family shared my passion. However, Frank was a Hamburg fan from Elmshorn and was keen to see an English football league match; my mum basically forced my dad to take us (as she realised how much it would mean to me). My dad couldn't have cared less (and never went again), hence roping in our friends who had at least been before.

I remember virtually nothing about that first match (the record books show that it finished 1-1, with Michael Robinson, RIP, scoring our goal).

View attachment 141942

We went into that match 7th in the top flight; forty years later, we sit…6th in the top flight. Plus ca change. It’s been dull, hasn’t it….

I couldn’t have known it at the time, but I had managed to begin a love affair with the club at almost the pinnacle of their footballing achievement – and within weeks began a long, slow, inexorable decline that would result in that blood-curdling, nerve-racking 90 minutes at Edgar Street in 1997. I have seen the side play at over eighty different grounds; mostly in the lower two divisions and always from the terraces (when it was an option). I’ve seen first team friendlies at places like Newcastle Town, Fisher Athletic and Tiverton Town. I’ve seen the youth team play at Goodison Park and Villa Park.

It seems bizarre that for almost half of those 40 years I have been supporting the club from afar. But I have been privileged to see the last couple of matches at the Amex; back worshipping at my personal cathedral, doing the thing that makes me happiest. Don’t ever take your football club for granted, and don’t ever take for granted your ability to see them in person.

I have a long day ahead of me today – literally, as I head back to the West Coast of the USA. At some point I will raise a glass and make a toast to Brighton and Hove Albion FC – to another 40 years of celebration, disappointment, ecstasy, pain and frustration – Up the Albion!

I hope you didn't have leave early :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Respect to OP if they genuinely remember that stuff from way back then. Tho if most of us are being honest we'll have no such recall from 40 years ago. Always good to pretend tho eh? :wink:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Respect to OP if they genuinely remember that stuff from way back then. Tho if most of us are being honest we'll have no such recall from 40 years ago. Always good to pretend tho eh? :wink:
Strange comment considering the OP started explicitly that he had virtually no recall of the match.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Was Antonius Wilhelmus Matthius Theodore Van Mierlo otherwise known as Toine Van Mierlo a dutch cousin of Tony Meola

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here