Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] what to do about the home atmosphere?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
aware I'm playing with fire by starting this thread here maybe, and I'm not having a pop at the fans or reincarnating the 'early leavers' threads of yesteryear.

But God, home games are depressing these days. not even because of the result. but the atmosphere was flat from first minute to the last today, and generally has been pretty much since fans came back. the north stand try, but I think we managed two rounds of 'albiiooonn' today followed by utter silence for the rest of the match. and the problem is that this is the norm nowadays, and I definitely think it transfers to the players.

genuinely I'm not sure how we fix this, and this thread is pretty much asking for what suggestions people may have, I know people slate drums and singing sections as tin pot, but it's at the point now where the home atmosphere is genuinely making home games unenjoyable anymore.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
aware I'm playing with fire by starting this thread here maybe, and I'm not having a pop at the fans or reincarnating the 'early leavers' threads of yesteryear.

But God, home games are depressing these days. not even because of the result. but the atmosphere was flat from first minute to the last today, and generally has been pretty much since fans came back. the north stand try, but I think we managed two rounds of 'albiiooonn' today followed by utter silence for the rest of the match. and the problem is that this is the norm nowadays, and I definitely think it transfers to the players.

genuinely I'm not sure how we fix this, and this thread is pretty much asking for what suggestions people may have, I know people slate drums and singing sections as tin pot, but it's at the point now where the home atmosphere is genuinely making home games unenjoyable anymore.

Team we’re about as good as the atmosphere today

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I may have missed something here, but I'm sure it wasn't canned atmosphere I heard on Talkshite, whilst driving home from work tonight :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Howe with 9 men behind the ball, time wasting and with dozens of slow set pieces lofted into the box ….. all made it a poor spectacle.

I kept getting out of my seat for Lamptey, but that was about it.

Albion, lateral everything, few taking responsibility in the final third.

A million miles away from attack-attack-attack against Leicester at home.

All conspiring to make it such a dull game to watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You seem to be implying the home atmosphere was once good. :shrug:

We are and always have been, irrespective of where home games have been played, a reactive crowd.
If there's nothing to react too we sit meekly in near silence.

That will never change.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
When you’re constantly watching the game through your fingers as we dick around with the ball getting closer and closer to our own goal line, it is very hard to join a chant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well the answer sure as hell isn’t PB being ‘embaressed’ by some of our support, or saying that they are ‘purporting to support the club’.

BHA has become more ‘Emirates’ than Arsenal, and will continue to do so until boisterous, passionate support is encouraged and not frowned upon.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Judging by the amount of smart young men needing a cubicle at half time I would have thought the atmosphere would have been better

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Stop slowly ducking about passing along the back line and speed up our attacks!

I know that is the potter way and I know we are in a terrific position, but I was bored witless after the second half whistle and soon as lamptey went off, I thought “ potter wants to hang on to the point”…..I wasn’t wrong!

That was a shocking performance and really showed that our midfielders are basically defensive midfielders ( apart from trossard) who are happy to **** about at the back and in front of our goalkeeper, but cannot play the killer ball……..of course there is no one up there to receive it anyway.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You seem to be implying the home atmosphere was once good. :shrug:

We are and always have been, irrespective of where home games have been played, a reactive crowd.
If there's nothing to react too we sit meekly in near silence.

That will never change.

Our away fans are usually excellent though, and have always been since I started going in the early 90s, irrespective of the league we've been in and number of away fans. So.... :shrug:

I'm not sure we're much different to other fans in this country. Newcastle fans were loud today but I've been to St James' 4 times (3 with Albion and 1 other) and the atmosphere has been dogshit every time

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As atmospheres go i thought first half was fine, but v little happening in 2nd half. Nothing to ignite the crowd.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
What an utterly ridiculous post, sorry. All stuff about the team performance should drive the atmosphere is bollocks imho, the atmosphere should be there regardless of the scoreline and performance.

Football fans (home at least) are largely reactive to what goes on on the pitch in this country. Has been the same for donkey's at most grounds. I wish it wasn't, although I don't particularly like the European style droning either, but that's the way it is I'm afraid, at the Amex and the vast majority of grounds. How quiet was Anfield last week when the game turned in our favour (it wasn't that great before it turned either, really)?
Anfield ffs, the supposed holy grail of football passion in this country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here