Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's subs today

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry to say our Graham got the subs badly wrong today. Mac Allister for Mwepu made some sense; a little nous to find the final pass against a deep press. And Mwepu barely had a kick. Mac Allister had a shocker, but he wasn't to know that.

The real head-scratcher was to bring Maupay on for March, changing the shape and moving Trossard to the wide right. Why?! Trossard was our best player by miles, and the only one who looked like making anything happen, maybe bar Lamptey.

The kicker? Making the change when defending a set piece, the number one rule of substitutions broken. They immediately score. We completely lost our shape and we're getting rinsed on the break in the final quarter.

I love our Graham but he got it badly wrong today. Tinkered too much and made changes which didn't need to happen.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Changes were needed, because it wasnt good and you could see on Graham that he was very, very unhappy with how the team played today. Not seen him this angry since March 2020 I think.

Losing or drawing even against poor opponents is acceptable because this is the Premier League and Manchester City doesnt win 38 out of 38 games and the bottom teams dont lose 38 out of 38 games. So that is one thing.
But the performance was horrific. Absolutely shite, so he made some changes.

The wrong ones? Possibly but it is very difficult to know whether changes are right or wrong when 8 or 9 players are performing below their normal level. Maybe the Maupay sub would have been brilliant if Mac Allister, Veltman and Cucurella was able to play 10 meter passes - its hard to know.

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't blame Potter, Biss, Mac, and Mwepu didn't really getting a grip today so Lallana could not figure so much.

Time to reassess that 2nd half performance and shake it up again.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Agree that Ali Mac had a shocker, also agree that playing Trossard up front has shown that we have a better option than Maupay already in the squad.

However, with a little more urgency in the first half (or start of the second) we could have had a 2 or 3 goal buffer.

For me, today we’ve suffered “Mourinho Team” syndrome, where scoring a single goal caused us to seemingly lose all interest in scoring a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

I have to say when the lads needed the crowd they all appeared to go off for a wazz.

My one criticism of Potter is he never tries to lift the crowd and get them going.

I thought Mwepu was doing ok and was surprised to see the old halftime hook

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I understood the Mac Allister/Mwepu one. That made sense, Mwepu was not in the game first half. Potter couldn’t help the fact that Mac Allister was then abysmal.

The Maupay/March one was totally bizarre though. I said when it happened it was a risk as March had done a decent job on ASM. We completely lost our shape after this change and it turned the game.

Webster for Lamptey was understandable and Webster was ok when he came on.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree that making the change at their set piece was a cock up.

Generally I think that when GP has bought subs on and they've done well he's got credit do so opposite applies today

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We were at home against a poor side and thought strange to take Lamptey as now have 2 week break. Lampty was ok today but seemed to play as an out and out right winger which he is not. Much better breaking from deep where he has more space

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Think it's gone midnight, I'm home from the game, and I've just learned via North Stand Chat that Macallister not only came on but came on at half time. Half time!

Absolutely astonishing. To think I thought Lallana was Mr anonymous!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
See it’s been defended but the Webster sub for Lamptey mystified me. So negative and Veltman was already having a shocker but got put out wide and pretty much set the tone for the remainder of the game.

D

Deleted member 2719

Klopp he isn’t but it really is down to the players to do the lifting.

I disagree, at times you need the supporters to lift the players especially at home.

But if Potter could add a bit of Mourino line running or something, it would add something.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I disagree, at times you need the supporters to lift the players especially at home.

But if Potter could add a bit of Mourino line running or something, it would add something.

Hes got more important things to do than gurning to the crowd and making it all about himself.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes! If March had to come off, that’s exactly what I would have done! Maupay was a really odd choice.

You think THAT was an odd choice?

What about taking Sanchez off and putting Dunk in goal for added time? The bloke’s a ****ing headcase.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hes got more important things to do than gurning to the crowd and making it all about himself.

I didn't want him turning. Just an Adams style of come on lads and lasses get behind them gesture.

Could argue it would have been worth 2 extra points???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here