Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Greatest Pop/Rock instrumental of the '80s

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
There has been a lot of talk on these boards about the '80s being the greatest era for music, which I agree with, but I'm not sure anyone has touched on the tracks that have been produced by mainstream bands, as instrumentals.

I give you two such examples below.

Ultravox, the consummate professionals and Simple Minds, the slightly more rough diamonds, linked by their Scottish frontmen.

Skip forward the first 1:30 of introductions of the Simple Minds track Theme For Great Cities and you are given a masterclass in pop/rock instrumental - but then, compare that against Ultravox and their epic instrumental Astradyne, with classic Billy Currie electric violin and synth playing - if, like me, you love most things '80s and these two bands in particular then you have a battle on your hands to decide the winner.

Even if you're not a fan of this era, give them both a listen, you won't be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kVZsO1GCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO0oQShU_4Y

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I wish people would stop reminding me of the 1980s, I've had to re-live it for the last few years.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Great memories of dancing to this as the sun came up.

And you don't have to like Duran Duran to appreciate the sublime sax solo of Andy Hamilton in Tiger Tiger.

Best listened to with decent headphones and the sound drifting through your head.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Oh, I had forgotten that one, had it on almost permanent loop for a few weeks when it came out... brilliant tune!

What I hadn’t realised until today was that these guys went on to be be MARRS and release Pump Up The Volume...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here