Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] November internationals

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Soon we have another international break (yay..) and a couple of Brighton players are selected (not all squads are finished yet so could still be some to come and I'll update this post as it happens).

Yup (and some non-yups)

Sanchez selected for Spain.

Duffy & Molumby are in the Ireland squad, with Connolly left out for reasons GP and the Ireland numpty seem to disagree on.

Moder is obviously in the Poland squad. No call up for Karbownik, who might see himself further away from the squad with Matty Cash now being Polish.

Mwepu is called up for Zambia. They didnt qualify for AFCON 2022 so he will be available in January & February. Update: Injured and staying home.

Mitoma called up for Japan for the first time. One step closer to that work permit.

Zeqiri called up for Switzerland for the first time since before the Euro tournament (IIRC).

Trossmeister is in the Belgian squad.

Nopes

No English players selected for senior or U21 team.

No Östigård for Norway.

No Veltman in the Dutch squad. Not really the LVG type of player so this might be it for Joel, unfortunately.

No Andone or "Baluta" (quotation marks as there is limited evidence of this man existing) in the Romania squad. 15 year old Enes Sali was called up however and could be one of the youngest international players in modern time.

No Mac Allister (or Maupay for that matter) in the Argentina squad.

Update:

No Bissouma in the Mali squad despite the rumours he would feature.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Apart from the Brighton involvement, this should be an above average international break. The business end of world cup qualification usually makes for some decent games and some decent close ups of distraught fans and managers

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No Mac Allister (or Maupay for that matter) in the Argentina squad.

Hopefully missing out on the Argentina squad will make Neal Maupay knuckle down and look to keep his scoring form going until he gets into it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Have I missed something about Maupay? How does he qualify for Argentina?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Albania and San Marino games with a squad lacking any inspirational new faces. Can’t tell you how thrilled I am that this means no Albion games whilst we play these MASSIVE qualification games

Shocked not to see a thread started by Crodo wetting himself in excitement :lolol:

I worry about injuries to key players seeing as we have so many players involved.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Zeqiri called up for Switzerland for the first time since before the Euro tournament (IIRC).

Zeqiri played in the September internationals getting 4 mins and 13 mins off the bench against Italy and Northern Ireland respectively. He didn't make the squad for the October internationals.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
usually makes for some decent games and some decent close ups of distraught fans and managers

Love those close ups of sad fans, especially if they have face paint in their country's colours too.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We will be just 11 games into the season, and the THIRD International break comes along. I can't believe there isn't a better way of doing this....especially as we have the delights of watching San Marino and Albania.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I find international weeks the dullest and most frustrating. I hunger for watching the Albion and every time we get into our stride we have to wait for football I have minimal interest in. Can't they just pick names out of a hat for the tournaments attendees. I hoped Covid would bring a halt to proceedings, its one ray of light to stop spreading the plague globally. But no, we still had to endure international friendlies and the UEFA tournament or whatever it was called. Not only does it put proper footie on hold, it also risks injuries to our precious squad. Rant over!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We will be just 11 games into the season, and the THIRD International break comes along. I can't believe there isn't a better way of doing this....especially as we have the delights of watching San Marino and Albania.

I think it's timing is incredibly useful. I'm going to use the international break to watch and delete lots of stuff off my Youview box in time for a Christmas

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

This. International Breaks seem to be encroaching ever further into the domestic season and robbing it of any kind of natural momentum. They're just a drag. Time to halt the rot

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There was suggestion of a month of international fixtures to get them all done in November or so, but the problem is if teams are hit by injuries or whatever that is their whole campaign done. And of course expensive / difficult for travelling fans

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There was suggestion of a month of international fixtures to get them all done in November or so, but the problem is if teams are hit by injuries or whatever that is their whole campaign done. And of course expensive / difficult for travelling fans

October was the suggestion I think... making it borderline impossible for the ten or so leagues playing spring-autumn seasons.

Anyway, I think (might be wrong here) the reason for the three breaks so far (instead of usual? two) is because the "Nations League" horseshit was lagging behind due to Covid cancellations.

England and Italy played 19 (!) games so far this season which is probably some kind of record in modern times.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Despite Mali journalists believing otherwise, there was no Bissouma in the Mali squad and I guess this probably means he wont being to the AFCON either.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Despite Mali journalists believing otherwise, there was no Bissouma in the Mali squad and I guess this probably means he wont being to the AFCON either.
We don't know whether his conditional bail conditions include not leaving the country :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Possibly.

Or maybe his current ‘difficult’ legal status is a bar to travelling abroad?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We don't know whether his conditional bail conditions include not leaving the country :shrug:

Possibly.

Or maybe his current ‘difficult’ legal status is a bar to travelling abroad?

Coach Magassoubas answer to why no Bissouma makes it sound like their frosty relation remains frosty:

"The Bissouma case is a problem of choice and I have confidence in the players which I already have"

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Don't worry, The Arse and FIFA have a grand master plan to sort it all out.

They will make the WC every 2 years and so that will mean not only less games, but much more likely that San Morino will become a world force in football and get to the finals (they weren't sure if they could win or not).

Despite suggestions otherwise, it is not all about the money as we know FIFA are, and always have been, above reproach and morally incorruptible.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here