Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A new type of 'football' commentary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those of you from the NFL thread know exactly where this is going.

So here's the set up, in the US.

Monday Night Football (last game of the weekend)
Usual coverage on Chl #1
But on Chl #2 Manning TV.

2 well respected brothers on split screen, chat through the game.
Guests come and go.
The game is the focal point but not commentated on, more commented about.
All rather 'loosey-goosey'.
Obviously it's a huge step up from the nonsense that was 'fans channel' or whatever that was.

It is proving to be incredibly popular, so hard not to think it's heading this way.

I think it would work well here, for the same time slot, esp with the commentary being so frequently moaned about.
But obviously it only works with the right chemistry.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
With the success of the Gogglebox format, I'm kind of surprised it hasn't turned up before.
Must have sounded the worst pitch imaginable when they first sketched out the premise for Gogglebox:
"Well we film a bunch of ordinary members of the public watching popular TV shows"
"And ...?"
"Well that's it really."
"Next!"
Does very much depend on them getting the right people doing it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They had something similar on DAZN in recent seasons. For the Saturday 3pm kick-offs you could put on "Goal Rush" which showed a featured match with the other scores on the screen and then cut to action in the other matches. They'd then have the studio guests talking over the top of it with a little bit of commentary.

They seem to have ditched the chat part of it this season. It's just the commentary for the featured match but the commentator still talks about the action in the other matches. I guess it wasn't that popular, probably because they had the likes of Andy Townsend and Tim Sherwood offering their "insights".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds like cricket commentry with the commentators on screen.

interesting if it does take off how they prevent a thousand streamers doing the same, webcasting live from their room with the game on in the corner.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They had something similar on DAZN in recent seasons. For the Saturday 3pm kick-offs you could put on "Goal Rush" which showed a featured match with the other scores on the screen and then cut to action in the other matches. They'd then have the studio guests talking over the top of it with a little bit of commentary.

They seem to have ditched the chat part of it this season. It's just the commentary for the featured match but the commentator still talks about the action in the other matches. I guess it wasn't that popular, probably because they had the likes of Andy Townsend and Tim Sherwood offering their "insights".

Yeah that's the format we have here, with Jeff Stelling.

As you probably know the Manning's is a little different as first and foremost it's the chat with occasional analysis, and quite a lot of bitchin, all very relaxed.

I think it would work but like anything only with the right people.
Try and 'force' and it would be a car crash.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
All I would want is a fan from either side commentating, then no one would get away with biased reporting and it would be a darn sight more lively.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Isn't there some Aussies that do this for cricket? There's a sofa full of them and they're all chatting bollocks about the matches they're watching.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Those of you from the NFL thread know exactly where this is going.

So here's the set up, in the US.

Monday Night Football (last game of the weekend)
Usual coverage on Chl #1
But on Chl #2 Manning TV.

2 well respected brothers on split screen, chat through the game.
Guests come and go.
The game is the focal point but not commentated on, more commented about.
All rather 'loosey-goosey'.
Obviously it's a huge step up from the nonsense that was 'fans channel' or whatever that was.

It is proving to be incredibly popular, so hard not to think it's heading this way.

I think it would work well here, for the same time slot, esp with the commentary being so frequently moaned about.
But obviously it only works with the right chemistry.
Looks like typical yank crap.

Attention spans of a goldfish ,can't concentrate on the game so need to eat or chat sh1t.

Don't think this would work in England.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think this is almost what commentary has become and I hate it. I want the option to either hear a commentator (one) speak the names of the players and decribe events a little. We now have a useless commentator, more like commenter, along with McManaman and Keown talking sh1te of the top order. No thanks, why spoil an awful product by making it even more awful.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
NFL has blocked the video!

Pwoper nawty that is.

It works if you view on YouTube.

It's awful. Aimed an imbeciles who either aren't really interested in the sport, or are too thick to have their own opinion on what's going on.

I'm out.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If watching at home I often mute the commentary as really don't need to hear someone saying the names of the players I can see and describing what the players are doing while I watch them do it.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Didn’t Sky at one point- years ago- have a commentary option where there were two fans, one of each team, commentating and winding each other up when a goal went in etc?

I feel like this was a thing many years ago- like around 2000. It was often entertaining.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Didn’t Sky at one point- years ago- have a commentary option where there were two fans, one of each team, commentating and winding each other up when a goal went in etc?

I feel like this was a thing many years ago- like around 2000. It was often entertaining.

I think that did happen but this is a big step up from the average Joe on the terraces.

I don't think there's the space in football to do it justice.
They'd need a crystal ball to know which game was last on MOTD.

Obviously it just wouldn't have worked for our game last week, even with a no commentating remit there just wouldnt have been much free air

But, as said in #1, I believe is proving quite a success over there which, like it or not, someone's going to take a run at it in the near future, over here.

We'll probably get Big Sam and 'Arry.
And
Only Connect will get its biggest ever rating. :lol:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The only commentary on a match should be genuine insight into the tactical side. Let the less educated viewer understand what is actually happening in a match and why managers are making the tactical changes they are and the outcomes.

Unfortunately too many commentators just want to describe what we can all see with our own eyes when we want to know what we cant see

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Over the last few years I've loved watching fan stuff on YouTube. Not a fan of watching YouTube, but starting with the 2-1 win at Palace, I enjoyed endless numtees talking to their phone camera whilst we made them cry. Must have seen half of the Palace fans reactions, one by one over several weeks. One YouTube thing I really enjoyed was when we beat Spurs last year, a few days later I watched two Spurs brothers watching the whole game, it was fantastic as their bombast turned to screeches of anguish and hair pulling dejection. Arsenal TV obviously has had it's uses. But I can only enjoy that kind of self important do-it-yourself John Motson crap after we've humiliated someone and not live.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Also a couple of seasons ago I had to stream several matches on bein sport, in Arabic. Their appeared to be 1 commentator and he was unable to pause in case you heard the actual match. I got bored of him repeatedly shouting 'American Express Community Statium'. It was still preferable to most British commentary and the 6 clichés they can remember about Brighton.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
If it was up to me, I would revert to the old school ways - one commentator saying little other than the player names and brief descriptions of major events, without cliches.

Commentary teams giving their opinions on stuff just isn't needed. It's just annoying when they make little unfunny jokes, overusing cliches or just start going off on tangents

Bring back commentary of the style of Brian Moore and Barry Davies, or some of the Radio 5 gang from 80s and 90s.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here