Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Blatter and Platini charged with fraud

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://news.sky.com/story/former-f...nd-michel-platini-charged-with-fraud-12457982

"Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter and his ex-UEFA counterpart Michel Platini have been charged with fraud in Switzerland.

It follows a six-year investigation into a payment of two million Swiss francs from FIFA to Platini.

Blatter, 85, and French football legend Platini, 65, could now face a trial within months.

"This payment damaged FIFA's assets and unlawfully enriched Platini," Swiss federal prosecutors said in a statement.

In January 2011, Platini wrote to FIFA asking to be paid backdated additional salary for working as a presidential adviser in Blatter's first term from 1998 to 2002.

Blatter authorised FIFA to make the payment within weeks.

He and Platini have long denied wrongdoing and said they had verbally agreed for the money to be paid more than 20 years ago."

Is that it? What about the years of excess, corruption and cronyism?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oops... should have read the whole article...

"In addition to being charged with fraud, Blatter has been charged with mismanagement, misappropriation of FIFA funds and forgery of a document.

Platini has been charged with fraud, misappropriation, forgery and as an accomplice to Blatter's alleged mismanagement.

Prosecutors opened criminal proceedings against Blatter in September 2015.

Platini was placed under formal investigation last year and months later the more serious allegation of fraud was included against both men.

Swiss cases can take years to reach a conclusion."

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I, for one, am SHOCKED :eek:

Didn't see that coming.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It will be great to see them both behind bars for all the damage they've done to this game.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It is about time. I am hoping that they will continue to dig deep into FIFA’s filth and come up with more evidence to extend the jail term that I hope Blatter gets. What he has done for football is a disgrace.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not sure I could sit on that jury and stop myself making a decision before any evidence being presented, just on the basis of that excuse... I'm forever waiting decades for multi million pound debts to be paid. Mr Forgetful me!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Next World Cup in Riyadh, anyone?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I, for one, am SHOCKED :eek:

Didn't see that coming.

well i didnt. expected it to be brushed under the carpet, delayed and tried to be forgotten about.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Blatter was against holding the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Probably his downfall.

He voted for the USA, presumably because a) they were offering a bigger bung and b) Platini his rival for the presidency voted for Qatar (presumably because he thought it was the best bid rather than that his son was getting a job there!)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He voted for the USA, presumably because a) they were offering a bigger bung and b) Platini his rival for the presidency voted for Qatar (presumably because he thought it was the best bid rather than that his son was getting a job there!)

Nope. Blatter just wanted the f***ing FBI off his case.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Every cloud and all that.

One funny thing out of this was that arrogant, scheming Platini never got that top job.

It was always assumed that he was a shoe-in.

Once Blatter’s world crumbled, Platini frantically turned on him, falsely portraying himself as squeaky clean.

It failed.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I could have done their '' Jail Time '' and been released on Bail by the time it has taken this to get anywhere near the Courts

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oops... should have read the whole article...

"In addition to being charged with fraud, Blatter has been charged with mismanagement, misappropriation of FIFA funds and forgery of a document.

Platini has been charged with fraud, misappropriation, forgery and as an accomplice to Blatter's alleged mismanagement.

Prosecutors opened criminal proceedings against Blatter in September 2015.

Platini was placed under formal investigation last year and months later the more serious allegation of fraud was included against both men.

Swiss cases can take years to reach a conclusion."
In that case, any chance of a remand in custody? If the Swiss courts fanny around too long there's every chance slimy Blatter will escape both quod and justice by passing away peacefully in his sleep, in the lap of luxury he no doubt currently enjoys.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Suspended sentence due to age and contribution to football no doubt if he’s still around in 2026.

Lump on

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here