Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle singing Emery as manager... or not

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
How appropriate as.... they are awful! Hopefully no new manager here on Saturday p01q7ycp.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still at Villareal who have a game against Young Boys tonight so if he does arrive by Saturday and they beat us it will be the new manager bounce of all time

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I doubt he'll be able to live up to the legendary status of The FSW so all.good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Villarreal 13th in the most open La Liga for the last 40 years.

Played 11.
Won 2
Drawn 6
Lost 3.
G/D +1

I bet they'd drive him to Newcastle for €6m

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He is a good manager, but I think it's the wrong time to go to Newcastle. It would be better to let them have their Mark Hughes type appointment, before their Roberto Mancini appointment. I think the first manager going there has to overhaul the squad and set them on a new path. I don't think whoever they appoint first will be a success, it will be the second or third manager who can really benefit from the cash money in the bank.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good manager. Doubt it will make that much of a difference with the current squad.

As afraid of the "new manager bounce" as I am of ghosts.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
They could appoint DICK Emery and I still think they'll get relegated.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not a terrible appointment.

But as mentioned elsewhere, their main problem is going to be in the January transfer window, because its highly unlikely they'll find many friends in the Premier League willing to help bolster their squad for the fight ahead - be that with a loan or a transfer. Certainly not with anyone decent anyway.

Emery is going to have to go shopping abroad, probably starting with his previous club.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Not a terrible appointment.

But as mentioned elsewhere, their main problem is going to be in the January transfer window, because its highly unlikely they'll find many friends in the Premier League willing to help bolster their squad for the fight ahead - be that with a loan or a transfer. Certainly not with anyone decent anyway.

Emery is going to have to go shopping abroad, probably starting with his previous club.

Bernd Leno from Arsenal must be nailed on? I'm sure Arsenal would be prepared to make the sale.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Whoever they get in as manager they will continue to struggle with the current squad, and even if he does steady the ship, I cant see them setting the league alight just yet, although I would expect a few more ppg than current

Any one they attempt to buy in January will cost an absolute fortune as everyone knows they have cash to burn, but as others have said, I cant see many Prem Clubs with better players selling to Newcastle.

Even if they manager to buy a number of quality signings, we have all seen clubs buy names rather than team players and that rarely goes well, at least in the short term, and baring quite literally buying an entire squad from one club its going to take several transfer windows to get a squad capable of challenging for the top half, let alone Europe.

Avoiding relegation is the first task, and few top players are going to want to join with a very real prospect of Championship football next term.

It really is a mammoth task for whichever manager and will take a couple of seasons at least- and if the owners go down the well trodden route of wanting instant results there may be several managers before they get it right

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Seems a bit "we must go for a foreign manager because it appears a bit more flair and exciting". They should have of course gone all out for Potter but I would have thought Howe a good fit also. British manager's overlooked again, for a bloke who failed at Arsenal and whose team is currently 11th in Spain. Winning a Cup is not the same as rebuilding a team capable of firstly staying in the league and then climbing up it.

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
Whoever they get in as manager they will continue to struggle with the current squad, and even if he does steady the ship, I cant see them setting the league alight just yet, although I would expect a few more ppg than current

Any one they attempt to buy in January will cost an absolute fortune as everyone knows they have cash to burn, but as others have said, I cant see many Prem Clubs with better players selling to Newcastle.

Even if they manager to buy a number of quality signings, we have all seen clubs buy names rather than team players and that rarely goes well, at least in the short term, and baring quite literally buying an entire squad from one club its going to take several transfer windows to get a squad capable of challenging for the top half, let alone Europe.

Avoiding relegation is the first task, and few top players are going to want to join with a very real prospect of Championship football next term.

It really is a mammoth task for whichever manager and will take a couple of seasons at least- and if the owners go down the well trodden route of wanting instant results there may be several managers before they get it right

I can see a few loans (with high fees) with obligations to buy if they avoid relegation happening.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Connor Gallagher is on their shopping list... wouldn't it be funny if Chelsea sold their player to Newcastle in January

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here